Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling the world. What lenses to take?

• 07-04-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice on what lenses I should bring with me on my travels later on this year. For my Nikon D50 I currently have a nifty fifty and a 70-300 mm. My 28-70mm broke so I'm on the lookout for a wide angle replacement and possibly a fish eye too (is it worth it?). Any suggestions or opinions on the aforementioned lenses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

kevthecelt wrote: »
    Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice on what lenses I should bring with me on my travels later on this year. For my Nikon D50 I currently have a nifty fifty and a 70-300 mm. My 28-70mm broke so I'm on the lookout for a wide angle replacement and possibly a fish eye too (is it worth it?). Any suggestions or opinions on the aforementioned lenses?

50mm and some cheap light kit zoom that's ok on the wide side. Don't start lugging tons of crap around with you, trust me. You won't take long to start regretting that 80->200 f/2.8 you brought along with your fisheye and macro and wide zoom and ... and ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭goldiejam

+1 for as little as possible gear, if you bring too much, you may start to resent carrying all your stuff around (as i have). Id go 2 lens max.

There is nothing worse than lugging around all your stuff in warmer climes and having to worry about it, your on holiday remember...

Last few big trips, ive brought a 50mm and 28mm, which was perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

What about a p7000 or g12?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I was away on a long trip with only two lenses (10-20 an 18-200), if I were going again (which will be some time after I retire probably!) I'd likely only take the 18-200; it didn't seem worth it having the weight on longer walks and I didn't use the second lense that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I recently was away for 3 weeks in 3 different locations and took a 30mm and 85mm primes together with a 10-20mm. I could probably have managed without the 10-20mm.
    As others have suggested - the lighter you can travel the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

50mm and some cheap light kit zoom that's ok on the wide side. Don't start lugging tons of crap around with you, trust me. You won't take long to start regretting that 80->200 f/2.8 you brought along with your fisheye and macro and wide zoom and ... and ....

Hey.....you're calling out every lens in my bag that I brought across the world with me!!! :)

You're dead right though, it was a lot to bring but I need it to earn a living. My camera bag alone weighs in at 16KG. My BMX and tools weighs another 14KG....thats 30KG without any clothes, toothbrush, shoes and other bits and pieces for travelling.

I did decide to leave my 85mm and 105 macro at home. I had no space and can get away without having them while I'm away.

What I did bring was:

14-24mm 2.8 (about 1.5KG)

24-70 2.8 (>1Kg)

50mm 1.4

16mm fisheye

*80-200 2.8 (about 1.5KG)

3 flashes, radio slaves and D3 body plus laptop, chargers, batteries etc

Canon QL17

Yashica T5

Canon Sureshot A1 Waterproof

...far too much to enjoy when going on a holiday!

In saying that, I used everything I brought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

kevthecelt wrote: »

've spent past two months traveling as the start of a 12 month trip and all i brought was a 24-70f2.8 and an 85f1.8

i realise i could have left the 85 at home as a 24-70 is good enough to get great shots in almost any place. yes you start off missing having fisheyes and flashes and telephotos but i'm glad that's all i have with me.

two other bits of advce, bring a small laptop, a backup porable hard drive (or two(i have three)) and bring a small good point and shoot for when you're being a tourist and don't want to carry an expensive dSLR with you

any ther travel related questions, feel free to ask, I've been through south america, up to the US & Canada so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

pete4130 wrote: »
    Hey.....you're calling out every lens in my bag that I brought across the world with me!!! :)

You're dead right though, it was a lot to bring but I need it to earn a living. My camera bag alone weighs in at 16KG. My BMX and tools weighs another 14KG....thats 30KG without any clothes, toothbrush, shoes and other bits and pieces for travelling.

I did decide to leave my 85mm and 105 macro at home. I had no space and can get away without having them while I'm away.

What I did bring was:

14-24mm 2.8 (about 1.5KG)

24-70 2.8 (>1Kg)

50mm 1.4

16mm fisheye

*80-200 2.8 (about 1.5KG)

3 flashes, radio slaves and D3 body plus laptop, chargers, batteries etc

Canon QL17

Yashica T5

Canon Sureshot A1 Waterproof

...far too much to enjoy when going on a holiday!

In saying that, I used everything I brought.

Yeah, but you went travelling WITH YOUR BMX.

I was referring in my original post to normal people :)

Last time I went on holidays (not strictly speaking travelling I know), all I brought was my F100 and a 50mm. That was it. No fumbling with lenses or fiddling with laptops (bringing LAPTOPS travelling ? do people actually DO that ?) or what have you. Next time I'll go lighter again and just travel with my FE-2 and the same lens. happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yep, last holiday was d80 + 50mm f/1.4, didn't really feel like I was missing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I did bring other stuff....5 pairs of socks/undies and 5 t shirts and a pair of jeans....and a bike lock.

The heavy camera bag was a pain at times, especially nursing it, looking after it, not wanting to leave it on its own....more the fact it weighed so damn much!

I'm glad I gave my Holga to Noosixty and chose not to buy the Bronica to allow her to buy it [meaning I use it whenever I want and don't have to carry it! ;) ]

Laptops....you know, for editing your digital pics. I never found the USB on my F100? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

(bringing LAPTOPS travelling ? do people actually DO that ?) .

yes, when you're staying in hostels or couchsurfing or staying with random round the world acquaintances, booking planes, trains, buses, a laptop is so so useful.

for getting google maps when you get into a new city

for saving GB of photos and deleting the bad ones to save hard drive space. When you're shooting every day and you're not going back home for a year, a laptop is essential for photo sorting and storage

Advertisement