Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agencies

Options
  • 07-04-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to rent a property soon. I moved with my job so I'd like to rent out my house at this stage.

I've heard from friends that management agencies they've used were a waste of time. They say they did very little for the money they charged. They said they were happier going with family members/friends who they got to look after the property.

I don't drive and am based on the other side of the country right now. My property is in Dublin and I'm in Galway. Having to commute to handle any issues that arise would be a bit of a problem for practical reasons, especially the lack of transport which makes it harder for me to solve things like getting repairs done, replacing broken items etc. I don't have anyone from my family in the immediate area that I could rely on either.

Has anybody who has is/has been a landlord any recommendations please? I'm a newbie to this so any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated. Recommendations of good agencies are welcome also.

Incidentally, what is the likely cost these agencies charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Ortiz

It depends on who you go with. If you are looking for a full management service be careful who you go with - Very often the cheapest can be the most dangerous.

Call different estate agents in your area and arrange meetings with a couple of different agents. See what feeling you get from them.

Like I said before - I wouldn't let fee be too much of a determining factor if you can - A good service is well worth a higher fee

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

Every agency is different, it is all about developing a good working relationship with the agent you choose to go with.

The location of your property will also assist you to decide on which agent to choose and their expertise in the area.

Advertisement