Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbish in town

• 07-04-2011 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Anyone see the amount if rubbish in town today don't think I have ever seen it this bad john street has smashed glass, paper etc everywhere what happened last night !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Nothing other than a standard Wednesday college night I'd presume. The problem is the city councils outdoor workers were (or are) on unofficial strike. There is a thread about that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

I noticed this this morning alright, johns street and the junction of manor st and parnell st is particularly bad. All this rubbish is generated from local businesses, do they have to pay towards the cost of the clean up???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its over the council strike, there not cleaning streets. It was a Wednesday (Student) night in town with Award Ceremonies, Coronas in the Forum, 2.50 a drink in Masons etc. so that's why its untidy looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

JackM_79 wrote: »
    I noticed this this morning alright, johns street and the junction of manor st and parnell st is particularly bad. All this rubbish is generated from local businesses, do they have to pay towards the cost of the clean up???

I suppose that's what rates are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I see there out now cleaning all is well I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Anyone who has done a walk of Shame through town will tell ya that it looks like a disaster movie at 4/5am till they clean it up. Shocking to see it in such a way during the daylight hours though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

I rang the WCC to complain about it this morning.
    It's a poor reflection on the people of the city.
    Well those who bloody litter it without regard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ziedth wrote: »
    Anyone who has done a walk of Shame through town will tell ya that it looks like a disaster movie at 4/5am till they clean it up. Shocking to see it in such a way during the daylight hours though.
    Your walk of shames are that early? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Your walk of shames are that early? :pac:

Jesus ya, I didn't get out that early once and now I'm married* :)

*May not be 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

Only another student night out I presume...Used to live around there and it's not a pleasant sight on Sunday morning either (and those that go out on Saturday nights are not students but people from Waterford). I think that the real problem is, besides lack of respect for common places fueled by alcohol, the fact that there's no real alternative to leaving take-away bags on the pavement. The public bins fill up really quickly and one is left with the choice of either leave the rubbish there or put it in their pockets :confused:. City council should install more public bins and not only on Johns Street: there are loads of places in town with nowhere to put the occasional wrapper, O'Connell Street as a primary example...no wonder it's full of dog ****.
    What I'm trying to say is I don't excuse people that leave rubbish around but if there was somewhere to put it we wouldn't be covered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Last students night of the semester I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What struck me was not so much the rubbish as the number of broken beer glasses - how can people walk out of a nightclub with a beer glass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Ye should honestly see limerick lads, it is by a country mile the dirtiest place in Ireland, I swear littering is part of the culture, I seen a car of lads oneday eating their burgers and chips and aall of em just fecked em out the window, in the centre! Biggest mess I ever seen made by a single group, makes me laugh each year the city council defends itself when it gets voted dirtiest sayin the place is clean, I walk through it every morning and it is not clean, not a hope in hell is it clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

looksee wrote: »
    What struck me was not so much the rubbish as the number of broken beer glasses - how can people walk out of a nightclub with a beer glass?

Just keep your jacket over it. Its not difficult at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yeah probably students thats are dumping rubbish on every back road in the county as well

Advertisement