Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching window boards

• 07-04-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering whats the best way to attach window boards.

The timber is oak 30mm thick and approx 860x230 and I'm planning on putting several coats of varnish to it.

There was never an existing boards in place. It's a new build but lived in for over a year. The block is plastered and painted and in some instances there's a picece of plasterboard on top of the block, then plastered, and then painted. The kids have it now looking a bit grubby and her indoors wants window boards now in place.

Few questions....

Can i just get a level and glue the boards on straight - no screwing into the block or is it best to countersink the wood, then screw through to the block and cover cover over the screw head?

Do i cut the wood as tight as can be to the walls/window, or do i allow a few mm for expansion?

If i allow a few mm for expansion what do i put around the joints where the timber meets the walls/window. A bit of silicon/filler?

Cheers....
    Bob!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Hi,

I was wondering whats the best way to attach window boards.

The timber is oak 30mm thick and approx 860x230 and I'm planning on putting several coats of varnish to it.

There was never an existing boards in place. It's a new build but lived in for over a year. The block is plastered and painted and in some instances there's a picece of plasterboard on top of the block, then plastered, and then painted. The kids have it now looking a bit grubby and her indoors wants window boards now in place.

Few questions....

Can i just get a level and glue the boards on straight - no screwing into the block or is it best to countersink the wood, then screw through to the block and cover cover over the screw head?

Do i cut the wood as tight as can be to the walls/window, or do i allow a few mm for expansion?

If i allow a few mm for expansion what do i put around the joints where the timber meets the walls/window. A bit of silicon/filler?

Cheers....
    Bob!

Thats all you need to do. If the they need to be levelled you can just pack them up and use a gap filling glue like Gunn-o-prene or gripfill. They don't stick too well to paint though so you may need to take it off or use some polymer based stuff.

I've always cut them 5mm shy. It gives you two and a half mm either side and they've never bellied or popped on me. Just caulk up the gaps with painters mate or white silicon after.

Advertisement