Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short Term Camera/Travel Insurance

• 07-04-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

All,

Im heading to Mexico in a week or so. I would like to bring my 60d but pretty much every travel insurance quote i get has a EUR300 or so single item limit. Also most of the photography equipment insurances seem to be quite pricey. Anyone know of a way to get short term camera insurance or a travel insurance policy that will cover a 1K camera, lenses etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try contacting Derek at camerainsurance.ie Very helpful and great prices. Mention where you heard it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Paulw wrote: »
    Try contacting Derek at camerainsurance.ie Very helpful and great prices. Mention where you heard it. :D

Thats one I saw, min 143 for the year. mailed them, hopefully they can do a short term policy. Really want to get some shots there, interesting place,

Mentioned your name too!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Also, you can specify it on your home/contents insurance and then remove same when you're done :P

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Also, you can specify it on your home/contents insurance and then remove same when you're done :P

Just make sure, if you do, that your home insurance cover will protect your gear in Mexico. Many limit the juristiction of cover to Ireland and/or Europe.

Got a quote from camerainsurance.ie €250 for the year, thats like paying 2500 for a ford focus for the fully comp portion. Can probably get renters insurance for that. Seems like the best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Just make sure, if you do, that your home insurance cover will protect your gear in Mexico. Many limit the juristiction of cover to Ireland and/or Europe.

Good point, you'll find it under the geographical/territorial limits section in your policy booklet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

M5 wrote: »
    Got a quote from camerainsurance.ie €250 for the year, thats like paying 2500 for a ford focus for the fully comp portion. Can probably get renters insurance for that. Seems like the best option

M5 the rates for Amateurs are much higher than those of anyone making an income from their work due to the claims frequency.

The policy we provide is an annual one that is designed to cover peoples equipment and liability if they wish. It also extends to cover them whilst on holidays.

Only suggestion is to get it on your home or contents insurance and get it specified and noted that you are traveling also.

Derek.

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    M5 the rates for Amateurs are much higher than those of anyone making an income from their work due to the claims frequency.

The policy we provide is an annual one that is designed to cover peoples equipment and liability if they wish. It also extends to cover them whilst on holidays.

Only suggestion is to get it on your home or contents insurance and get it specified and noted that you are traveling also.

Derek.

Makes sense i guess, a cheaper theft policy would suit me, that's about all i am worried about TBH, dont feel comfortable traveling without some insurance to cover it

M5 wrote: »
    Makes sense i guess, a cheaper theft policy would suit me, that's about all i am worried about TBH, dont feel comfortable traveling without some insurance to cover it

Become a professional and your rate will decrease. ;) Even if you only sell a single image, to a friend, for €5, then that's enough to make you a professional, in the eyes of an insurance company.

Become a professional and your rate will decrease. ;) Even if you only sell a single image, to a friend, for €5, then that's enough to make you a professional, in the eyes of an insurance company.

i'd imagine it would be enough to stop a payout on a claim but not enough to classify you as a pro :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Well a couple of hundred Paul or at least you are starting out on the road with a view too!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

you could probably buy a second hand lumix lx3 , canon g11 etc for the same price and get decent photos and not worry about the insurance.

Advertisement