Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

block vs timber frame

Options
  • 07-04-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hi all

we are building in mayo and hoping to start soon, we were going for a block house but then we received a price from a timber frame company for €42000 plus vat, the house is 2300sqft, dormer bungalow. when calculating up the prices on the block, roof etc, there is not much in the difference. just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on a timber frame or if anyone recently used any company that they could recommend. we only have received one quote yet but want to look into a few more

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

I'm in the same position as yourself. Some blocklayers prices are crazy. i got a cheaper quote for a bigger house off some TF companies. I can PM you some of the details of the quotes if you like for comparitive purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 8vSport

yes please, that would be great, im waiting to get a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

8vSport wrote: »
    hi all

we are building in mayo and hoping to start soon, we were going for a block house but then we received a price from a timber frame company for €42000 plus vat, the house is 2300sqft, dormer bungalow. when calculating up the prices on the block, roof etc, there is not much in the difference. just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on a timber frame or if anyone recently used any company that they could recommend. we only have received one quote yet but want to look into a few more

thanks

You're right, spec-for-spec, there shouldn't be much, if any, difference. I saw a 277m2, house quoted near Galway today to A2 spec, airtightness below 1.0, for €784 per m2. Can't see how that could be called expensive, tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 8vSport

we have decided to go with block build, working out there is a difference of just over 10k between the two of them. although the timber is fast, we have decided to go with the block which is what we decided all along

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I will never be seen building anything other than a block house.

You still need to block the outer leaf of a timberframe house and personally, a block house is a better house - thats my opinion, maybe im biased by tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

snyper wrote: »
    I will never be seen building anything other than a block house.

You still need to block the outer leaf of a timberframe house and personally, a block house is a better house - thats my opinion, maybe im biased by tradition.
    Have to agree :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

muffler wrote: »
    Have to agree :)

Do you agree that Snyper is biased or that block is better ;)

LoTwan wrote: »
    Expressing an opinion or preference isn't showing bias.

If you think it is then I'm being biased also as I would run with blocks and mortar any day of the week. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Expressing an opinion or preference isn't showing bias.

If you think it is then I'm being biased also as I would run with blocks and mortar any day of the week. ;)

I am with you. I chose blocks and mortar, in part because of the "biased by tradition". I am glad I did.

"biased by tradition"
    I'll be biased again and say that was sensible ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Dont know why people are claiming block is better :confused:

People the world over,where the climate is far harsher than ireland have been building timber framed houses for years.
    Particularly in Scandanavia when they build some of the most thermally efficent housing in the world

But eh yeah lets stick to tradition i guess:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

seannash wrote: »

People the world over,where the climate is far harsher than ireland have been building timber framed houses for years.
    Particularly in Scandanavia when they build some of the most thermally efficent housing in the world

I suppose the fact that Santa land is overrun with timber is evidence of more bias, or more tradition or even both.

Carlow52 wrote: »
    I suppose the fact that Santa land is overrun with timber is evidence of more bias, or more tradition or even both.
    not really,Timber is very very common the world over where the conditions are alot harsher than ireland.
    Alot of people think that we need brick houses to put up with our weather.To be honest are winters are a walk in the park compared to other countries.
    America is an example of a place that the majority of houses are timber.

Its personal choice at the end of the day.If i was getting a house built in timber for alot cheaper than brick its a very easy decision to make.

I am with you. I chose blocks and mortar, in part because of the "biased by tradition". I am glad I did.
    Is there any tangible reason why your glad you did other than your personal preference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Ours is timber frame.

There are times i'd love the inner block if only for hanging a picture or heavy mirror.

The house is super warm though and i live on an elevated, exposed site. Stove heated with turf, stopped bothering wih the oil 2 years ago. This is where it pays for itself imo.

I still wonder about the guy who built this though. He came reccomended to us as he had built 3 or 4 houses in the area over a number of years. Other timber frame houses ive watched going in seem completly different.

This guy literally built if from scratch on site with the help of two Polish lads... Touch wood house is perfect, but i just think it strange how different the build was to others.

Anyway, if i had to do it over again, i'd pick timber frame every time.

themadchef wrote: »
    Ours is timber frame.

There are times i'd love the inner block if only for hanging a picture or heavy mirror.

The house is super warm though and i live on an elevated, exposed site. Stove heated with turf, stopped bothering wih the oil 2 years ago. This is where it pays for itself imo.

I still wonder about the guy who built this though. He came reccomended to us as he had built 3 or 4 houses in the area over a number of years. Other timber frame houses ive watched going in seem completly different.

This guy literally built if from scratch on site with the help of two Polish lads... Touch wood house is perfect, but i just think it strange how different the build was to others.

Anyway, if i had to do it over again, i'd pick timber frame every time.
    Most timber framed houses would be prefabbed in a factory.Basically your fella didnt have a factory so built it on site.Im sure its fine.:)

As for hanging something just find the wooden stud and bang a nail in it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Most timber framed houses would be prefabbed in a factory.Basically your fella didnt have a factory so built it on site.Im sure its fine.:)

As for hanging something just find the wooden stud and bang a nail in it :D

Cheers. He seemed like a decent fella, and the house hasint snapped in two yet!

Me use a hammer? LOL There's a thought. Could try it with a rolling pin i suppose. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

For me I would go for block. I had an extension built and the price of the blocks and the labour charges were the best value out of all of the other trades. For the work the blocklayer does it represents good value. Blocks seem more permanent than timber. I would worry the timber frame would get damp in the Irish weather.

Stove Fan:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

The difference from scandanavia and Ireland are that in scandanavia the climate may be harsher, but it is consistant. in ireland its warm one minute wet the next sleet the next. each time it changes the timber moves,opens and closes. this causes for stresses and wear and tear on timber that doesnt happen in scandanavia. maybe there is someone out there who can explain it better but thats the rough jist of it.
    I,m a carpenter myself but would never consider a timberframe. i'm putting concrete slabs in instead of joists. purely to avoid sagging joists, cracking ceilings, sound and even the fire rating.
    i know theres pros and cons for both but personally think concrete.

1chippy wrote: »
    The difference from scandanavia and Ireland are that in scandanavia the climate may be harsher, but it is consistant. in ireland its warm one minute wet the next sleet the next. each time it changes the timber moves,opens and closes. this causes for stresses and wear and tear on timber that doesnt happen in scandanavia. maybe there is someone out there who can explain it better but thats the rough jist of it.
    I,m a carpenter myself but would never consider a timberframe. i'm putting concrete slabs in instead of joists. purely to avoid sagging joists, cracking ceilings, sound and even the fire rating.
    i know theres pros and cons for both but personally think concrete.
    well perhaps America is a more satisfactory example,Especially in any of the areas that have ski slopes,as someone who snowboards i can tell you it can be very hot up on the slopes but snowing again that evening
    Carpenter here too and Id have no problem recommending timber frame

To be honest its just tradition that causes the doubt in peoples heads about timber frame i think

• Advertisement

To be honest its just tradition that causes the doubt in peoples heads about timber frame i think
    So why do you say that it's "tradition" that make people choose a block house then?

So why do you say that it's "tradition" that make people choose a block house then?
    Its the norm,People dont like to change,they look around and see brick houses and follow suit.
    same reason irish people are fascinated with the square house

Its the norm
    Cant agree.

People dont like to change,they look around and see brick houses and follow suit.
    Cant agree with that either. My years of experience have taught me that nothing could be further from the truth.

same reason irish people are fascinated with the square house
    No, they're not. If you seen some of the designs I put together.....

Can you give us some stats of why you think people prefer and do build block houses. Can you show us stats that the majority of houses built in this country over the last 10 years are block built?

Cant agree.
    Fair enough

Cant agree with that either. My years of experience have taught me that nothing could be further from the truth.
    And my years of working on site after site of square houses have taught me the majority of people dont have the vision,foresight or trust in architects to create something other than the norm,especially as the planning is so hard to get for a alternative design in this country

No, they're not. If you seen some of the designs I put together.....
    Well thats great but you may be a small percentage of the whole picture
    Can you give us some stats of why you think people prefer and do build block houses. Can you show us stats that the majority of houses built in this country over the last 10 years are block built?
    No but the responses i gave were in relation to people in this thread saying that they wouldnt dream of building in timber and I just put forward the other view,that timber is capable of putting up with Irish weather.
    Again its my personal experience that leads me to the conclusion that most people who build there own house tend to go for a square shaped house,planning permission being a huge factor in that decision.
    As for the stats on timber versus block build in this country,whichever way its sways it doesnt mean that either isnt good for building in this country and people shouldnt be afraid to use timber

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

I think its very easy to miss the biggest issue inn Irish Building - Quality. Its very difficult to have a rational discussion on construction detailing, without encountouring staunch deep rooted beliefs that evoke extreme emotional responces. Its not a matter of comparing Timber frame and block, except for in one aspect. At the lower end of the market, there is more room for error in block built. This is related to our low expectations of housing and our lack of understanding of climate and humidity.

Quality is always the big issue, a high spec house could cost €250 per square foot turnkey while a basic spec built to comply with code and paying VAT would cost €100. The vast bulk of this difference is in finishes, Mahogony veneered half hour fire door with brushed stainless steel handles versus, knotty pine country door with mock brass handles for instance.

The current spec we recommend for timber frame with block skin is 40 gutex softboard racking on a 225 stud cellulose filled with osb 15mm taped airtighness layer and an insulated services cavity. , the same spec on the roof for room in roof scenario. The block house to match that is a 250 full fill cavity. We look for airtighness of about 1 and this has a heat demand of about 20kWh, 25% more than certified Passive House.

Sorry to digree, heres the main point. The biggest cost factor after finishes is workmanship. This is huge, It is as we know nearly impossible to get good workmanship without a good set of drawings, clear instructions to the trades, a hawk eyed contractor/forman/selfbuilder and a watertight contract or sub contracts. When workmanship is factored in there is no difference between timber and Block built.

There is one further issue to consider in Irish climate and it is related to the large swings we gcan get in temperature from day to day or even hour to hour. Your building envelope needs to have some type of thermal capacity or density. This means you have to have something heavy inside your insulation or have heavy insulation. A dense block wall can provide this but only if it has about 150mm of PIR or 200 EPS insulation continuously around it with the rising wall cold bridge thermall isolated. However Timber frame can also do this job quite well if it used materials like softboard and cellulose which have high thermal capacity. This high thermal capacity can absorb heat and can regulate fluctuations in Temperature from solar gain or the heating system. When heating a building for every 1 kW heating the air, 7 heat the structure, so the structure becomes a heat bank which returns this heat when the temperature drops inside or absorbs excess heat in an overheating scenario.

So to express an opinion, Timber and Block, no discernible difference when you set your performance targets above merely complying with minimum standards

thats my opinion, maybe im biased by tradition.
    ..maybe you are :)
    I agree that he may be biased, and that blocks are cheaper. But not better ;);)
    Stove Fan wrote: »
    ..Blocks seem more permanent than timber. I would worry the timber frame would get damp in the Irish weather.
    Stove Fan:)

'Seem' that's some subjective measure alright. As for the damp: 2 simple questions for you : how would a TF get wet, and, speaking of timber.....what's your roof made of......??

I think its very easy to miss the biggest issue in Irish Building - Quality. Its very difficult to have a rational discussion on construction detailing, without encountouring staunch deep rooted beliefs that evoke extreme emotional responces. ..........
    Quality is always the big issue, ........ The biggest cost factor after finishes is workmanship. This is huge,

Amen. Hallelujah. +1. etc etc.

In my experience, this market is nearly always price-led. Quality is not oftenr valued. In the UK, whilst value is always important, Quality is always on the agenda.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

galwaytt wrote: »

'Seem' that's some subjective measure alright. As for the damp: 2 simple questions for you : how would a TF get wet, and, speaking of timber.....what's your roof made of......??

Well, i will put it to you this way.

In an old house, which part of the structure lasts longest? The roof or the walls?

You dont see too many very old houses 100 + years with a perfect roof and poor degraded walls.

Well, i will put it to you this way.

In an old house, which part of the structure lasts longest? The roof or the walls?

You dont see too many very old houses 100 + years with a perfect roof and poor degraded walls.

Sure.......but look deeper: it's not the timber, per se that's the issue. It's the way it's put together.

That old house you mention....?....have a look at the bottom of the walls and floors and tell me how much moisture is in them.

Remember, timber is the original building material, and we have changed gradually to masonry - for all manner of reasons. None of those detract from timber, as a material.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Remember, timber is the original building material
    Oh really!

And the following (built thousands of years ago) were built with timber were they? :)

aileach.jpg

pyramid_2.jpg

taj_mahal.jpg

great_wall_1.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes, really. Very funny - there's always one :rolleyes:

Meanwhile back on earth in Ireland, which, last time I checked, is where we are...... ;)

CL000363__.jpg

Oh, and btw - pyramids are tombs - not buildings for living in.
    And neither is the Great Wall, btw....

The picture of Dun Aengus is of the rampart wall - not a building, either.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement