Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information not on dieting but changing attitude to food

Options
  • 07-04-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hello all! I can't think of anywhere better to put this.

I read a study online the other day which said that the best way to lose weight is to change your attitude towards food. Makes sense. I really am not a fan of the dieting, the not being full, the "apples make you feel fuller, as do oranges" no they don't! Well at least not for me.

Anyway, it split two groups of obese people in half, half went on a traditional diet, counting calories, measuring portions, the usual. The other half were assigned to a "non dieting group that focused on paying attention to internal body cues about hunger, letting go of restrictive "diet-like" eating habits and working with negative self-image". THAT'S what I want!

So I was wondering if there's any place that does this? Because that's exactly what I want. Any information could be helpful, even groups in areas I'm not in (I can always ring them and ask for their advice). I'm based in Cork city.

*For the reference, I'm not particularly trying to lose weight. I want to maintain it, hence this
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Good for you, it makes life a lot easier!!

I always recommend the Low GL plan for anyone who wants to eat well to either lose weight or maintain. I always put a disclaimer in to say that the author Patrick Holford does try and sell a lot of vitamins etc but overall its an easy read with good healthy foods and a great starting place. You can get the book in easons . Personalyl its where i started by journey, i have learned lots more through reading here as well but its my base and its a good one i believe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-GL-Diet-Made-Easy/dp/0749927143/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302177221&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

possibly the single best piece i have ever read on the art of maintenance here -

http://www.leighpeele.com/a-lesson-in-the-art-of-maintenance

super writer and love her work.

I would not recommend a group and think some personal development based on the article above would set you straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

gubbie wrote: »
    So I was wondering if there's any place that does this? Because that's exactly what I want. Any information could be helpful, even groups in areas I'm not in (I can always ring them and ask for their advice). I'm based in Cork city.

just one point that i think may be important - in my opinion you have the wrong idea here. you don't need a 'place' that 'does' it. you don't need to go anywhere or pay some may-or-may-not-be expert to tell you what to do. being honest all you need is this forum. there's enough already written here and stickied at the top of the forum that'll give you more solid facts and info about how your body treats food, stores/burns fat etc. than most 'dieters' actually know. if you need to know more, there's the search function and chances are any questions you have will have been asked and answered here before many times. and even then if you want more info you can just ask here, there are some seriously knowledgeable people around that will give you facts straight up without trying to spin anything for quick money - something that's almost unavoidable in the fitness industry these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

If changing your attitude to food is your plan, I would highly recommend reading Gillian Riley's book, "Eating Less (Say goodbye to overeating)" - don't let the title put you off, it's not a 'diet' book, but just a really down-to-earth and refreshing look at why people eat too much in the first place, and why the concept of 'losing weight' is putting the cart before the horse. (I know you want to maintain as opposed to lose).
    I couldn't begin to tell you how many 'Eureka!" moments it gave me. A great read for anyone remotely in terested in this topic and unlike any other self-help book on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I had one of those eureka moments when watching the show that was aired in a series lately on some channel that went into what goes into processed foods.
    Now my rule of thumb is to purchase as much 'raw' or fresh food as poss.
    ie make your own mayonnaise by mixing natural yoghurt with some tikka powder or garlic etc, or making my own pasta sauces, bread too,and trying to avoid as many forms of processed food as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

Absolutely! A lot of problems people have with food are caused by the foods ( I use the term loosely) themselves. If it's heavily marketed and packaged, odds are it's not good for you, only good for the food industry's profits, which face it, is all they care about. I saw on a tv programme a few years back that there had been an almost 25% reduction in the price/tax of/on sugar in the EU, hence the big increase in the use of it in even more products. Even the RDA, even on products aimed at children, is based on a 40-year old, moderately active woman! Which, some of us are, but many not.
    However, not to wander too far off-topic, sugar is a major cause of cravings and with unhealthy fats added, contribute to hooking many people into a continuous battle to stay healthy as products containing these are the most heavily advertised and discounted, as in BOGOFs, in supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

Alan Carr has a good book called I can make you thin which covers the topic you're looking for. it may be a good start. just throws the diet out the window and gets you to listen to your body. also includes a relaxation cd that goes through self image meditations and visualisation techniques.

Advertisement