Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tips for sports photography

• 07-04-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭

Any got any tips for equipment required for sports pics such as lens selection,filters lens speed etc.
    Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Any got any tips for equipment required for sports pics such as lens selection,filters lens speed etc.
    Thanks,
    John

Well basically what you will need is a pretty decent camera body that is fast. One that has a high frames per second count with decent focus capabilities helps. If it is Canon you will be looking to start with a 60D I would reckon and progress up to a 7D or 1DMark4 (expensive and for pros). You might be able to geta second hand 1D mark3 in one of the camera shops or on adverts if you keep your eye open.

The lens will have to be at least 200-300mm upwards and hopefully be able to go down to f2.8 if you can afford it. For shutter speed you should be starting at about 1/400 of a second at the very least and preferably 1/800 onwards if you want to freeze the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What sports?

What have you got?

What is your budget?

My gear for sports - Canon 1D MkIII, 1D MkIV, 300mm f/2.8, 1.4x TC, 70-200mm f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, lots of fast memory cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

I have used the Canon 30D camera with a 300mm 2.8 lens, the lens is number one in sports photography.

On a sunny day, you will get away with a slow lens.....

at night, or on a dark day, you need a 2.8 lens (I did snooker last week in UCD, 2.8 lens with 3200 ISO with 160/1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

If you're struggling for light and a decent shutter speed, be sure to check the LCD by zooming in.

What looks good on the LCD can look horrible when you take them home. But if you stick to shutter speeds suggested by tororosso you'll be fine.

Lateral movement is harder to freeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Thanks,
    John

like has been mentioned before ....all depends on so many things...the main ones being.

What sports you wish to cover ?
    what budget you have ?

for example a 24-70mm lens might be decent enough for ringside boxing .... but a 300mm would be of no use for ringside..... but the 300mm would be suited to football (soccer) ... a larger lens 400mm, 500mm, 600mm are more suited to GAA/Hurling due to the size of the pitch (although the 400mm is often used in soccer too) .... most field hockey games can be covered with a 70-200 or a 300mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Amateur set up to be honest,as first real field trip trial and error tbh.
    Hope to be going with camera club.
    my gear so far
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71578084#post71578084
    I know I am the poor relation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

For local rugby, a lens around 200mm should be ok. 300mm or 400mm would be better, but then it's a large cost.

Dusk light may be an issue, so bump up your ISO and/or use fast glass.

Plenty of "shooting sport" tips on my website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spike the players food with valium so they slow down, making the action easier to capture.
    tilt the pitch towards you - gravity will tend to carry the play your way, thus removing the need for really long lenses.

Advertisement