Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 2nd hand console - what to look for?

• 07-04-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an xbox, and was contemplating buying 2nd hand.

As i've never had one before, what should or shouldn't it have, any pitfalls you need to look for (something to do with been live banned?)

Also, if i want one that has wi-fi access, is it only the new ones in the shops that have this or will any x-box 360 do it?

Also, on a side note ... if I get a 4gb one (new one), can I replace the hard drive with a larger internal hard drive?

Thanks for any advice (and apologies for very newbie questions.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

If you go to somewhere like Gamestop you can get a second hand one and in our case get a warranty on it too. They have some good offers on usually.

Actually come to think of it my brother is selling his Xbox limited edition only bought 6 months ago and he has an extended warranty on it. Games and extras with it. He just got engaged so is clearing out and saving up.... If you want to talk to him about it PM me and I will get more details for you. (not sure if he is on boards)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ligerleo

If your going to buy one second hand makesure the hardrive is cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I wouldn't buy a used xbox from anyone personally bought one from gamestop before only to have to return it the next day as it had an overheating problem. I did get my money back but it was a pain in the neck having to return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Arcade hero x

Before you buy it check the back where the serial number is and look for a manufacture date. if it is before 2009 steer well clear.

You will have no warranty with MS and its gonna break soon.

Also Check the hard drive and take the face plate off and make sure the labels are all their and the back where the fan grates are because if there is little pry marks in the seals its either been modded or self repaird and Ms wont take it or the shop you got it in EVEN THO THEY SOLD IT TO YOU.

Also make sure its not ridiculously noisy then its just irritating.

A few tips i got from working for gamestop and now MS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,953 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I would really recommend maybe picking up a new slim 4gig model, you can upgrade the harddrive at a later date. The phat ones are more then likely have issues or develop issues if they are pre-2009 as mentioned above. Also you will have to buy a wireless adaptor for the old model, the slim has wireless built in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

zero19 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy a used xbox from anyone personally bought one from gamestop before only to have to return it the next day as it had an overheating problem. I did get my money back but it was a pain in the neck having to return it.

Alot if xbox have this issue and xbox are willing to fix too under warranty. We have had 2 boxes replaced under warranty (secondhand) along with the stupid ring of death etc.

We also had our new Wii replaced 3 times for issues.

*hit happens but with warranty its all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Make sure its not modded, or banned from Xbox Live.

And the warranty for the likes of 3rl are only applicable for the first owner of the console, so if its registered with xbox under a different name.... you're up a creek.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Thanks for all the info.

After delving a bit deeper, while xbox will kinda do what I want, they'll charge me for it (i.e. gold membership), so not exactly what I was after. I think if I do buy one, it'll be the 4gb slimline new model as suggested, as at least i'll have the full warranty in my name, and won't be cursing myself if it broke 6 months down the line!

But thanks for all the above advice.

Advertisement