Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality of Compost

Options
  • 07-04-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I need to buy compost for vegetable growing in containers but are there any brands that experienced gardeners have found to be better than others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mix garden soil with peat free compost (50:50), plenty of good texture, mositure retention and strength. If you have no access to garden soil, buy topsoil in small bags and mix 50:50 with peat free compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I successfully grew veggies last year in containers using general pupose compost. You can add liquid feed every so often. Just an option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thanks

I had great success last year and used compost only in the majority of containers and had a bit of leftover topsoil so mixed that with comost for some containers.

I've got a lot of leftover compost that I grew potatoes in and because of crop rotation is it ok to put that in a compost bin and use next year or the year after or can I use it again with added fertiliser to fill shorter containers and bags for salad and herb crops and just get knew compost for potatoes and tomatoes.

I've also got 3 big raised beds and 2 smaller ones.

Advertisement