Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Binoculars

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I picked these up this morning. Hoping they'll make a good stepping stone to a telescope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Excellent! Easy Bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Can ya see the rings of Saturn from that or even the moons of Jupiter? Might buy it if the rings of Saturn are visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

The biggest problem with seeing details like the rings with a hand held optic is that it won't be steady enough to allow you to resolve the rings :(

BUT...I would guess that if you put it on a tripod you'd be able to make out the rings as spikes either side of Saturn.....like when they were first discovered :)

Remember....its only 10x magnification.

Great for wide field though and good terrestrial binoculars too.....at least my Bresser made ones are.

I was able to track and make out the basic shape of the ISS with my ones.

Peter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

Plug wrote: »
    Can ya see the rings of Saturn from that or even the moons of Jupiter? Might buy it if the rings of Saturn are visible.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Alfreado wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

peterako wrote: »
    The biggest problem with seeing details like the rings with a hand held optic is that it won't be steady enough to allow you to resolve the rings :(

BUT...I would guess that if you put it on a tripod you'd be able to make out the rings as spikes either side of Saturn.....like when they were first discovered :)

Remember....its only 10x magnification.

Great for wide field though and good terrestrial binoculars too.....at least my Bresser made ones are.

I was able to track and make out the basic shape of the ISS with my ones.

Peter

Problem Alfreado?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I could make out the moons of Jupiter through mine alright (a bit shaky but that was down to me!). Great value indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

they are good quality and its hard to leave a 10x50 behind you at that price.
    was never able to make out the rings of saturn myself with something this small but other views - moons of jupiter, craters on our moon, star clusters etc were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

How much were they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

€18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Plenty of these in stock in Lidl Clonmel. Looking forward to seeing the Orion Nebula in a *little* more detail tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

that's cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I can see excellent detail on the moon. Any tips for steadying the binoculars while I hold them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Tremelo wrote: »
    I can see excellent detail on the moon. Any tips for steadying the binoculars while I hold them?

You'll need a tripod or if there is a pole or wall adjacent just brace one of your elbows or lean into it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Picked up a 60 piece drillbit set for 12.99, a 20 euro battery powered random orbital car polisher, 7.99 7 piece drill and tap set and a 9.99 Laser level. All scope related purchases actually, except for the polisher.

Although not the sturdiest of tripods its stable enough to trust with my Stellarvue F80 80mm Finderscope, so with a few odds and ends I was able to turn it into a simple ALT/AZ mount for my finderscope. Saves lugging out the big dob for quick looks at things. Its a fabulous finderscope, a decent enough little telescope in its own right and makes a nice terrestrial spotting/birding scope too. I'll eventually buy a decent mount for it but this'll do till a have the money and for 9.99 you couldn't go wrong.

5607426670_3f800f73b0.jpg5606844787_189b89e6e6.jpg

5607431366_38a7b0c12e.jpg

Advertisement