Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair of Stereo System

Options
  • 07-04-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend or know of, a place that repairs stereo systems in Dublin North City?

I bought a stereo for my mum in Dec 2008, and only recently the CD has stopped working - will play no cd's at all, it comes up with a message 'Error', surely a CD Player should last longer than 2.5 years!!

The make is Wharfedale DAB & MP3, DMP 82. If anyone knows of anywhere in Dublin North City where I can take it to be repaired I would be really happy to hear from you. I understand that it costs more to get things repaired than to buy a new system but it doesn't instill much confidence in me to buy anything else and then go through the same thing in three years time..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a place on capel street that might do it. its just opposite the boars head

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Thanks. If there was anywhere around Glasnevin or Santry or Finglas that would be perfect.

Do Curry's do repairs because I think I might have bought it there??

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Unfortunately, I think it often ends up cheaper to replace things rather than get them repaired and so there aren't so many repair places left. If it's just the CD player that's broken and the stereo has audio input, it might be cheaper to just buy a simple diskman and connect the earphone socket to the audio-in on the stero. Peats of Maplin would have the leads you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Not exactly the area you want but there's a place out in Blanch called the HiFi Hospital. http://www.thehifihospital.com/ Used to be in Capel Street a few years back before moving out.

Thank you folks for your feedback, have emailed the HiFi Hospital to see if they repair Wharfedale as it isn't one of the models that is listed on their website.

I know it will work out cheaper to get a new stereo but don't want to have to go down this road again in the next few years. The radio still works, it has a great sound and I shouldn't have to throw it away after 2.5 years because the cd is not working. I have a stereo myself which I've had for years and it doesn't play cd's anymore, and it's one of the well known models. Are they made to fail after a few years??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Oleander wrote: »
    Are they made to fail after a few years??

Planned obsolescence

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »

That makes me so maddddd!!!!! Thanks for the link, interesting. Maybe we should have spent more and got a Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

To be honest its probably a Sony KSS laser inside the unit that has developed the fault. It certainly wont be a wharfdale laser. Majority of the time its sony or philips

Can just be unlucky with lasers as they are optical, small things such as moisture can be a big problem.

Manufacturers will recommend 7/8 years as a laser lifetime but it is like saying how long will a bulb last

But surely it should last more than 2 years?? Just wondering if it's worthwhile bringing it out to the HiFi Hospital in Blanchardstown. They charge 45Eur upfront to tell you what's wrong with it and if I decide to go ahead and get it fixed probably will cost lots more but they take the 45 off the bill. They didn't say they could fix a Wharfedale but they'll have a look, my mum doesn't really want to pay more than 200 quid to get it fixed, in fact she won't want to pay 100!!

I didn't get any quotes by the way, they can't give a quote until they see the unit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement