Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costing building a machine for work...

Options
  • 07-04-2011 3:37pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We had a Dell Dimension E521 which has gone belly up. Looking like the motherboard. We need a replacement of similar or better spec.

I haven't built in a while, but I did a few years ago. Repairing notebooks and worked on a server production line in dell. Basically, I can hold a screwdriver and follow instructions. :)

My options as I see it are..
    1. Get replacement board from dell and install it myself. €170
    2. Get dell to come out and do it. €300
    3. Get a barebones pc from local supplier and supply own OS (Which I have already) .€330
    4. Give back faulty computer and get shop to build a new one from the working hard drive, psu, cd drive, maybe memory. €230
    5. Buy barebones pc from hardwareversandr. If anyone can spec out a machine similar to or a little better then the old dell I'd appreciate it.
    6. Buy case, upgrade kit and build myself. Similar to above, advice would be appreciated.

Machine is for a developer to use. Mostly for sql I believe.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You can reuse your hard drive and your dvd drive. Put the extra into a tri-core.

AMD Athlon II X3 450 - €63.49
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37138&agid=1242

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Enda_of_Eire

MarkR wrote: »
    We had a Dell Dimension E521 which has gone belly up. Looking like the motherboard. We need a replacement of similar or better spec.

I haven't built in a while, but I did a few years ago. Repairing notebooks and worked on a server production line in dell. Basically, I can hold a screwdriver and follow instructions. :)

3. Get a barebones pc from local supplier and supply own OS (Which I have already) .€330
    4. Give back faulty computer and get shop to build a new one from the working hard drive, psu, cd drive, maybe memory. €230
    5. Buy barebones pc from hardwareversandr. If anyone can spec out a machine similar to or a little better then the old dell I'd appreciate it.
    6. Buy case, upgrade kit and build myself. Similar to above, advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

€170 is fairly pricey for just the motherboard. I have an E521 collecting dust here in Cork (well its out of its case, but all the parts are working perfectly), you can have the motherboard for €120 if you wish, and if that's not the problem you can have any of the other parts from the E521 for free.

Taking the E521 apart is fairly painful over the weird fan/ heatsink it has, but if you want some help and based in cork I'd be happy to help for free. I studied computer repair for two years @ level 6 and currently studying for a computer science degree so I'm fairly handy, and I know the machine inside out.

Anyway it's an extra option for you. If you manage to get a motherboard from elsewhere, feel free to PM me for any advice while swapping them if you wish - I'd be happy to help.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

MarkR wrote: »

Thanks for reading.

ouch, the dell options are ripoffs

motherboard should be 20 or 30 euros online

you can pick up a refurb e531 from ebay for about 150 euros, maybe less, IF you can find them

heres a PC with prob the same spec and better proc for about 200 euros, in Ireland too I believe
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-Optiplex-960-Core-2-Duo-3-16GHz-4Gb-250Gb-Win-7-/140530228257?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item20b8411c21#ht_7312wt_932

Advertisement