Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duprasi Gerbil Not Taking A Liking To Me :(

• 07-04-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Got a new pet Duprasi there last week, and it seems to run away from me whenever I lightly try to pick him up, I'll leave my hand in the center of the cage with some seeds or food in my palm, and he['ll just ignore it, other than that, he just seems to not like me.

I've never had a pet rodent before, so I am completley new to raising one. Does it gain trust over time? Am I doing something wrong? I bring myself to his level, take him out (After some chasing) and lightly rub him, and he likes it, cause he doesn't move on my jumper.

If anyone else has a duprasi, could you give me some tips please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Anybody please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I had gerbils years ago, they never really liked being handled too much, especially when out running around the place. He may become more trusting or may not, but plenty of handling and he certainly will get used to you and be more relaxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Hi,
    I’ve had many hamsters over the years, on average it took about 3weeks before they where comfortable to let me hold them. Here’s what I did:

1) Make sure your hamster/gerbil is kept in a quiet, temperature steady room. Any sudden sounds or changes in temperature can scare them.
    2) As often as possible I would sit beside the cage with one or two of my fingers at a height that my hamster could have a sniff and get used to my scent.
    3) I placed my whole hand in the cage so that my hamster could stand on it, run over it…get used to it, and trust that I wasn’t going to hurt him.
    4) Place his daily food on my hand and allow him to sit and eat on my hand. It’s very important at this stage not to suddenly move your hand or raise it.
    5) When I thought my hamster was completely comfortable I placed food on my hand and then lifted him up off the base of his cage.
    6) When he was comfortable with this I moved my hand (with him on it) out of the cage and held him over a flat soft surface (like a bed).
    ….usually after this my hamsters where comfortable enough with me lifting them out of there cage.

I know this seem like a lot of steps but you really need to do this if you want your hamster/gerbil to trust you. Could you imagine a 20ft hand coming out of no where and lifting you up:D…it would take you a long time before I was comfortable with that.

Note: you may get nipped/bitten in the beginning, this is normal. However, my last hamster (Chinese dwarf hamster) was very unfriendly and I couldn’t tame him despite my best efforts. Like some people, some rodents are just grumpy little $hits:(….I hope yours isn’t, good luck and be patient. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Thanks guys, apprieciate the reply's. Duprasi's are the most docile type of rodent, and almost NEVER bite. Unless you wake them up, they will be grumpy then lol.

Advertisement