Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes at the Dart Station

Options
  • 07-04-2011 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just out of interest - do many bikes get stolen there? Just got a shiny new one and am thinking about cycling to station and leaving it there for the day, but am not sure if I want to risk it...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭woodsy2

Personally, I've never had a bike stolen from the station or anywhere, having left it for days and sometimes unlocked (Got my lights nicked after I left them on the bike once up the town - whoops). Mine is a second hand rental and not very attractive though.....

However, I've heard numerous stories about bikes being stolen from the station, and a close friend of mine had two bikes stolen within as many weeks! :eek: There are some very fancy bikes locked up there every day, get a hardcore lock anyway, or maybe two.......

I think there have been calls for a camera to be pointed at the bike shelter, not sure if anything came of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I defiantly would not leave a shiny new bike at any dart station. Are you allowed to bring your bike on the dart? There might be somewhere safer at your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

Don't know the statistics. Done it a few times with my shiny nice bike, and even left it overnight...

...BUT I don't think anyone can tell you with certainty that your bike will be ok. I've seen some taken in the city while people are standing by as witnesses and trust me, if someone wants your bike, they'll take it.

Double locks can help. I've seen U bars snapped very easily but if its chained tightly as well, its more difficult to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you allowed to bring your bike on the dart? There might be somewhere safer at your destination.

Yes, but outside rush hours. Something like after 9am and before 4pm. Not much use.

Bash it up a bit and paint it a gory colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Get a kryptonite mini u-lock and lock it properly (this means locking the bike down low near the bottom bracket and getting as much of the frame, wheel, chain etc within the body of the lock as possible so they can't fit a jack in it to pop it open or get any leverage to break it that way).
    Only use a cable or chain lock as a secondary lock to secure the front wheel (a good idea because if you've got two different types of locks the thief will need two different tools).
    Also, train stations seem to be magnets for bike theft because thievies know there's always going to be a good selection of bikes there to steal and usually they're left there unattended for a good long while. If I were you I'd try and find somewhere secure close to the train station but not exactly at the station either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MonkeyMe

Thanks, guys, I guess I'll get properly equipped and have a look for alternative locations to leave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Speaking of bikes at the DART station, people need to learn proper etiquette and not just lock their bike anywhere suits them. 3 times in the last month I've been blocked in by someone who obviously would have missed the DART or something if they took the time to find a spot that isn't on top of someone else. There is a particular repeat offender too...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

Jammyc wrote: »
    Speaking of bikes at the DART station, people need to learn proper etiquette and not just lock their bike anywhere suits them. 3 times in the last month I've been blocked in by someone who obviously would have missed the DART or something if they took the time to find a spot that isn't on top of someone else. There is a particular repeat offender too...

A flat tyre each time might give him/her a hint......!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Selandia wrote: »
    A flat tyre each time might give him/her a hint......!

I believe that is called criminal damage and it will not be promoted on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

If you just let the air out through the valve, without doing any damage

• Advertisement

In college now. Bike rack this morning was ridiculous. Someone had actually just lifted their bike and placed it on top (i.e. lying sideways across the handlebars) of 3 other bikes. If you can't find a pole at the rack, find somewhere else and dont be a dick!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Generally, I think the actual bike should be okay (provided it is securely locked). The big thing is to be sure not to leave any accessories on it. I did have a light stolen and the clip to secure my removeable saddle was also taken believe or not. Basically, anything that can easily removed is a no go. There should definitley be some form of security camera there given the amount of bikes that are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

darter wrote: »
    Yes, but outside rush hours. Something like after 9am and before 4pm. Not much use.

10.30-4 and 1900-close
    :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Plastik wrote: »
    If you just let the air out through the valve, without doing any damage

Tempory damage is covered under law as criminal damage. Letting air out of tires is tempory damage.

You have no legal or moral right to do such a thing. It's illegal and just wrong to mess with other people's property.

Just to clarify, I wasn't and am not going to touch anyone else's bike, other than to move it out of my way. I just wanted to vent on the topic and this place seemed ample!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

Also be careful if you have quick release wheels etc.
    A few years back,someone robbed the quick release from the back of mine.I cycled off unknowing until just passing the south beach the wheel came loose and threw me into the middle of the road.I was lucky no car/bus was close behind or I was a goner!

Advertisement