Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From zero to hero...my C25K

Options
  • 07-04-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Right so I'm a newly 34yr old chubby girl who wants to get fit and healthy to hopefully have a baby next year. I did get up to week 6 of c25k last year but in Jan went belly up on some ice and ended up messing my ankle up to the extent that I've only been able to really run on it in the last two weeks.

I've really let myself go and done no exercise at all so I'm getting back into the swing of things now...no excuse with the weather being so great.

Today was Day 1, Week 1 and it was fine, the biggest hassle was the big rain jacket I had worn cause of the drizzle but considering I haven't done a tap of exercise to speak of for nearly 2 and a half months I was happy. I actually really enjoyed it and have realised how much I missed my little runs.

I just find I have really bad aches in the back of my calves though, possibly due to my not doing any streatches beforehand maybe? It was the one thing that dogged me last time so I'm going to make it a priority to do the proper warm up/cool down each day this time round

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Hey Eviltwin. Fair play on making the decision to get back running after that injury. I have to admit that damaging my ankle is my biggest worry when running so I have respect for those who decide to get back out there after that kind of an injury.

I'd say what's happening with your calves could be that your mentally so used to running that your body may need a little more time to ease back into the routine. As you put it stretching is ideal and making sure that you don't push yourself too hard as you get back into the swing of things.

Plenty of water too! Again congrats on making the decision. You won't have any bother considering you've already managed the 20+ minute runs recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck with the goal. It's great to have a very real target like that for motivation!

As ForegoneReality pointed out, the calf trouble could be just down to the body re-adjusting to running. Try running on some grass for a while, and give the calfs a good massage afterwards (a foam roller is great for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The calves still hurt but not half as bad as they used to, I can remember the first time doing this I'd be walking home to put my feet up they hurt that bad but today I noticed that on the interval walks the pain went away pretty quick so hopefully its just my body getting used to it again :)

Day 2 of week 1 done...hard to get out this weekend because my son kept me awake with teething pain :( but I managed to get out between rainshowers.

I hadn't realised until today just how much I'd missed running...its amazing how you can get addicted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Congrats on still getting out there considering the lack of sleep..! I'm with you on the whole idea of the body getting used to what it had been doing. I found the same when starting c25k after a three year hiatus from running - the strength really does come back much quicker than it initially would have on day one.

The addiction is unreal. I know it's painful when you're doing it but the satisfaction afterwards always seems to make me look forward to the next dose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done Eviltwin.
    Just started the c25k myself last week. Started week 2 today and found it really tough. it's great to have other people on the same level so that we can motivate each other :)

• Advertisement

So glad I'm not the only one Munster Girl...I was a bit embarrassed even posting on here seeing the amazing distance everyone else is doing :eek:

After a few setbacks - bloody ankly injury :mad: - I finished week 1 but doing it again before moving on just to be sure.

I find my ankle aches and it makes me feel like an aul one so I don't want to move on until I am sure its okay to do so.

Feeling so frustrated that a simple slip on ice could result in such a setback

Advertisement