Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A to Z of pubs in Cork. Need help.

Options
  • 07-04-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Myself and a few others have decided go drinking in a pub for each letter of the alphabet for the next few months. Something to do for the summer, like :)

We have found somewhere for every letter except U and X. Does anyone know of anywhere that serves alcohol beginning with either of these letters?

Doesn't have to be in the city either, we are willing to travel anywhere in Cork County.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

A friend of mine organised this a few years ago in one day extravaganza- the A - Z of Cork pubs pub crawl. After other classics such as the Number 8 bus route pub crawl and various pub golf outings.

The eXchange bar was used for the letter X, but its closed now. Can't think of what U was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Ui Cronins Bar, Macroom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

According to The Golden Pages, there's a place in Beara called Urhan Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Or you could include UCC (I know technically its the new bar and old bar but people do say lets go for a pint in UCC)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

murphym7 wrote: »
    The eXchange bar was used for the letter X, but its closed now. Can't think of what U was.

That was the fall back for us. Didn't know it was closed.
    Some great ideas for what to do next too!
    Ui Cronins Bar, Macroom
    Jay P wrote: »
    According to The Golden Pages, there's a place in Beara called Urhan Inn.

Thanks for both of them. A lot better than using one of the UCC bars as I thought we would end up doing.

Now to find X...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Few cans and maybe a naggin in your local Xtravision, i'm sure it counts so long as you even get a sip in.

The Crossbarry Inn (aka X-barrry Inn) is the choice at the moment.

I'm fairly certain there is no pub beginning with X in Cork. Can't find one anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You should post up your A-Z so we can critique it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

He can't - he's actually writing a guide that he plans on selling and is stuck for the more difficult letters, hence the thread. Care to comment OP? ;)

tommy21 wrote: »
    He can't - he's actually writing a guide that he plans on selling and is stuck for the more difficult letters, hence the thread. Care to comment OP? ;)

If only I couldn't quit my job and do this instead. We did joke about making this into the first of many similar guides but I think we all lack the motivation to do something like that.

Haven't decided on the majority of them yet. Just looked to see if there was a pub for each letter. Here is the spreadsheet of what we have so far. For most letters there are loads of choices and I just have the hard ones filled in.

We also decided to rate each place out of 5 for a number of factors. A is already completed. It will be updated live as we drink in the relevant pub :)

Edit: More suggestions for ratings are welcome along with any "Must Visit Pubs"!

• Advertisement

dj_ wrote: »
    If only I couldn't quit my job and do this instead. We did joke about making this into the first of many similar guides but I think we all lack the motivation to do something like that.

Haven't decided on the majority of them yet. Just looked to see if there was a pub for each letter. Here is the spreadsheet of what we have so far.

We also decided to rate each place out of 5 for a number of factors. A is already completed. It will be updated live as we drink in the relevant pub :)

Haha I know what you mean - I'd say you would get good money from pubs for it if you could prove you would hit their demographic but how would you generate continuous income from it?

Anyway here are three suggestions for yo (with the numbers equalling your criteria as it is on spreadsheet)

T = Tom Barry's A4 P4 S3 P3 C3 B2

S = Sober Lane A5 P3 S3 4P C3 B4

B = Boothouse = A5 P3 S4 P3 C3 B3

I don't think there are any pubs beginning with X. The best way around this is to interpretate x literally (as the Romans intended). So X can mean ten - since there are unlikely to be any pubs called ten, I would argue as long as a pub had the number 10 in its address, then it fufills your criteria.

I didn't phrase that too well. I meant I was looking for more criteria to judge pubs on. And pub suggestions.

Anyway, cheers for the suggestions. Tom Barry's will more than likely make the list. Great pub. Not sure I rate the Sobar Lane as highly as you... Never heard of the Boothouse but I plan on visiting it now. Don't think it will be for 'B' this week, due to the distance.

We wandered into Jim Cashmans after Abbots on Friday and were more than pleasantly surprised. Cheesy 80's/90's downstairs but a DJ upstairs playing reggie type stuff. Anyone know if that's what is normally there or was it a once off? Will definitely be going back there for 'J'.

dj_ wrote: »
    I didn't phrase that too well. I meant I was looking for more criteria to judge pubs on. And pub suggestions.

Anyway, cheers for the suggestions. Tom Barry's will more than likely make the list. Great pub. Not sure I rate the Sobar Lane as highly as you... Never heard of the Boothouse but I plan on visiting it now. Don't think it will be for 'B' this week, due to the distance.

We wandered into Jim Cashmans after Abbots on Friday and were more than pleasantly surprised. Cheesy 80's/90's downstairs but a DJ upstairs playing reggie type stuff. Anyone know if that's what is normally there or was it a once off? Will definitely be going back there for 'J'.

Boothouse is far out from city so its a taxi there and back but worth it. Maybe I was a bit generous with Sober Lane, if there is just enough of a crowd there its great, though they tend to let too many in sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I forgot about these lads http://www.munsterpubs.com/

- contact them. I'm sure they have been in every pub in Cork at this stage.

Advertisement