Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuttering and Stammering in the media

Options
  • 07-04-2011 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few minutes of their time to discuss how stuttering and stammering is represented in the media.

I am currently undertaking my final research project at university and looking into how speech disorders are represented in the media. Currently I have found a few examples, however they are often portrayed in minor roles or negative roles. Do you feel that this is the case in the media and that the disorder is under represented?

Do you feel that any negative portrayals leads to less public understanding of the issue?

For the final project I am trying to use stories from therapists and individuals who suffer from different types of speech disorders which will be put together in a podcast.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the matter I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks,

Lucy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jmn89

Sounds like an interesting project and a tough one to research!

Personally, I'm usually quite insulted by how stammerers are portrayed in the media. The most obvious recurring characters I can think of are Frank from Vicar of Dibley and Jimmy Vulmer from South Park. Both are obviously portrayed as harmless characters and have comorbid disabilities - physical or intellectual. They're figures of fun and watching them trying to force words past their lips to "hilarious" effect really makes me bristle and even embarrassed.

I always feel like I'm taking it too seriously - I mean those shows do poke fun at everybody but I can't deny that watching those characters struggle does make me quite uncomfortable. Society is meant to have accepted that people who stammer are normal and the assumption of low IQ is meant to be in the past, but it seems that the media can perpetuate the old prejudices somewhat.

I was thrilled by the King's Speech though - finally a character with some depth whose struggle was shown for what it was and who commanded some respect.

Best of luck with the project - hopefully you get some more feedback soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lucymae89

Hi jmn89,

Thank you for your reply, I to am shocked at the way they portray Jimmy Vulmer not just with a stutter but with a disability in general, it just works towards pandering the audiences pre-conceived steretypes and does little to help change any attitudes.

I think with this topic, there has been little done to change the stereotypes in society and through the research I have carried out many representations are those as comedy references or if not very minor roles.

The King's Speech was what inspired me to do the project, I don't know if it was either that it had highlighted a different side of speech disorders or because it was so well done. Hopefully, with the media attention surrounding it, it will create more positive portrayals in the media. There has already been documentaries and the media like to jump on the bandwagon with popular topics, hopefully it will only work towards creating a more postive image of speech disorders.

Lucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

There was one episode of M*A*S*H that dealt with stammering. Season 11, episode 9 - "Run for the Money". I think it dealt with the issue positively, but I haven't seen it in a while.

Also, there was a character with a stammer in Pan's Labyrinth. Which is a very, very sad, but amazing, movie, btw.

Good luck with your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

that rte sports fella . .

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Lucymae89 wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a few minutes of their time to discuss how stuttering and stammering is represented in the media.

I am currently undertaking my final research project at university and looking into how speech disorders are represented in the media. Currently I have found a few examples, however they are often portrayed in minor roles or negative roles. Do you feel that this is the case in the media and that the disorder is under represented?

Do you feel that any negative portrayals leads to less public understanding of the issue?

For the final project I am trying to use stories from therapists and individuals who suffer from different types of speech disorders which will be put together in a podcast.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on the matter I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks,

Lucy

My view is no person with less than adequate speech should be allowed on media. I presume we are talking of current affairs and news pieces. Not fiction pieces.....there would obviously be scope for such parts .

In current affairs and news items the listeners expect quick and accurate transmission of the various stories ......and similar delivery for current affairs.......there are horses for courses and some races require trained horses only or correct grade horses to be entered........

I suffered myself from a slight stammer when young , I found swimming and RAJA yoga head under the water exercises for some reason helpful , particularly learning to swim underwater for some distance......sort of gave me confidence ...then I started thinking of what I was going to say and found I could talk and make as much sense and those around me......now find public speaking a doodle....but you must prepare .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ipadzz

Park Royal wrote: »
    My view is no person with less than adequate speech should be allowed on media. .

Completely accept and understand your view, but let me put this to you, do you believe a blind or deaf person shouldn't be allowed in the media?

Advertisement