Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Indian Restaurant (City Centre)

Options
  • 07-04-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Heading up to Dublin tomorrow with my OH and looking to sample some of Dublin's best Indian cuisine. By best I'm not necessarily looking for most expensive, but I'm definitely not looking for a MSG ridden take-away. Somewhere that's in town, not a cab ride miles away. Leaving the car @ home.

Oh yeah, I'm looking for something spicy. Maybe not Phal (well maybe), but a good vindaloo.

Also for your fav. place, are reservations required? can they be reserved hours in advance?

Also while we're at it, can you recommend anything to do in the city tomorrow night for non-drinkers?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

It's not an Indian, but the Nepalese restaurant, Monty's is excellent in my experience. It's right opposite the IFI as well, so you could catch a movie before/after. I got a malware warning when i went to their site, so here's a link to their reviews on tripadvisor. To be honest, I'm sort of surprised that some of the reviews are mixed. I've always enjoyed it.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186605-d811282-Reviews-Monty_s_of_Kathmandu-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I recommend both Jaipur and Diwali on South Great George's Street. Jaipur is more upmarket and they do put the extra effort into the food to make it worthwhile. But if you want plain decent no-frills curry, Diwali is the best in town, IMO. And since they're close to each other you can look at both and decide what you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

BeerNut wrote: »
    I recommend both Jaipur and Diwali on South Great George's Street.

I was just about to suggest those exact two!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Thanks all for the replies thus far, appreciate it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Saagar, Harcourt street-won lots of awards over the years.
    Medinas, end of Henry street, think its Mary street, lots of Indians and Pakistanis eat in this restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Alan70 wrote: »
    Medinas, end of Henry street, think its Mary street, lots of Indians and Pakistanis eat in this restaurant.

+1, great spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Tulsi impressed me at the time. On Baggot St, if memory serves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hookah

I'd go for Madina as well.

Cheap, cheerful and delicious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Medina and Diwali are delicious! I only went to Jaipur once, but I personally wouldn't rate it.

If you're into art you could head up to the National Gallery. Lovely way to spend an afternoon IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jaipur is the best I've had in the city centre (upmarket Indian). Madinas on Mary Street is also quite good (more streetfood-like).

If you fancy making the trip to Dundrum, Ananda is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

old hippy wrote: »
    Tulsi impressed me at the time. On Baggot St, if memory serves

I'm afraid that one seems to be gone. Ate there once and was very happy with it. The same guy ran the Indian that used to be in Ranelagh that was there for years. The food was great but I think the rents must have killed them.

Alan70 wrote: »
    Saagar, Harcourt street-won lots of awards over the years.

Saagar was closed down by the Food Safety Authority last year: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0810/1224276470889.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

A luas trip to Dundrum would bring you to Ananda, which is delish!

Jaipur is nice, but on the more expensive side of things...

I personally really like Diwali, and would recommend it as a not too expensive, but tasty option!

Didn't know saagar had closed, not too fond of it anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Jewel in the Crown" on South William Street - I go there regularly and really love the food.

"Jaipur" is nice too and has some twists on traditional dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just to correct something -Sagaar hasn't closed down. There was a temporary closure order last year sometime but they're currently up and running. In fact, they've ran a Boards Deal with Boards (where this whole closure topic was addressed)

But my money is still on Jaipur :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Does Madina open for lunch? Must check it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I heard today about a €5 all you can eat Indian restaurant on Moore St that is supposed to be excellent. Anyone tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Alan70

Medina does lunch Warper

Yillan wrote: »
    I heard today about a €5 all you can eat Indian restaurant on Moore St that is supposed to be excellent. Anyone tried it?

It's called Delhi O'Deli. It's grand, not great though. I've only eaten from the Fivers menu so far and it's not the best. It's all veggie though which is good. I might pop down on my lunch break today and try something else from the menu. I'll report back!

http://www.delhiodeli.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cosmic wrote: »
    It's called Delhi O'Deli. It's grand, not great though. I've only eaten from the Fivers menu so far and it's not the best. It's all veggie though which is good. I might pop down on my lunch break today and try something else from the menu. I'll report back!

http://www.delhiodeli.com/

no meat options?

i didnt manage to get in last week

no meat options?

Nope, all veggie! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cosmic wrote: »
    Nope, all veggie! :D

one to strike off the list so:(

one to strike off the list so:(

Ha!

Was in on lunch today. Again, the food was grand, but nothing special. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I went in there this afternoon with my girlfriend for a bite to eat. The food available for the 5 lunch euro selection was tasty enough. You can help yourself to as much as you want on one plate and for 5 euro, I reckon it's great value for lunch. We tried 2 things from the menu as well, a South Indian Dosa stuffed with spiced potato and we also tried the Papri Chaat. They were both delicious, far nicer than any other Indian restaurant I've been to in Ireland and for a fraction of the price. Will definitely be back for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I went in there this afternoon with my girlfriend for a bite to eat. The food available for the 5 lunch euro selection was tasty enough. You can help yourself to as much as you want on one plate and for 5 euro, I reckon it's great value for lunch. We tried 2 things from the menu as well, a South Indian Dosa stuffed with spiced potato and we also tried the Papri Chaat. They were both delicious, far nicer than any other Indian restaurant I've been to in Ireland and for a fraction of the price. Will definitely be back for more.

Yup I find it a great little spot. The fiver veggie curry plate is okay but nothing special; what's really brilliant about them is the whole menu of brilliant savoury snacks, bites and bakes they have. Filled dosas, bhature, paranthas, those fried potato "baskets" filled with veg and chutneys. Good original desserts too. Most items are 2-5 euro. We usually pay around 25 euro for the two of us and spend more than an hour there with several menu dishes to share, desserts and drinks. Good value and if you can spot the owner he gives great recommendations as to what's what.

My Indian friend says this is how they eat back in India - a lot of snacks with a choice of curry or chutney and salad on the side, while here in Europe "Westerner menu" is the other way round, with heavy curries as mains.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i enjoy shan, jaipur, medina and delhi o deli - amazing for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I had a look at the Diwali website. Looks like all main courses are around €16-17. And that's the cheap cheerful version of jaipur. Am I wrong in thinking that's still quite a lot of money?

Jar of jalfrezi in Lidl for 79c...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Anyone try Maloti on South William? Saw it on the city channel and it looked nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Tulsi on Lower Baggot Street is gone but there's now a "Nepalese" in its place. It's called Taste of Everest. I had lunch there last week and it was absolutely delicious, although the menu struck me as more Indian than Nepalese.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I had a look at the Diwali website. Looks like all main courses are around €16-17. And that's the cheap cheerful version of jaipur. Am I wrong in thinking that's still quite a lot of money?

jaipur is even more expensive than that place all right. I'd expect 50e each should cover it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Diwali has great deals when you go for lunch or the early bird option.

For lunch a tenner gets you a starter, main with rice or naan and a tea/coffee.

The early bird is around 16 euro I think and you get a wider range of options than lunch and a bigger portion of the main course.

The naan is delicious ::drool::

Advertisement