Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground floor or 1st floor??

Options
  • 07-04-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Im just wondering is there any differences, apart from the obvious, in ground floor and 1st floor apartments? What are the pros and cons of both?

The main reason I ask is there are 2 apartments, very similier in price location etc. but one is ground other is 1st. Its for 2 adults, no pets or kids

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Go for the 1st floor,its much better for security reasons if the price is the same. Bottom floor apts get broken into alot.

hope this is helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Good point but what about the noise making? Im not one to be banging around but if I got moany downstairs neighbours I'd go mad having to tip toe around :p

Actually one is above the other I've just been told :D

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/24-A-Lawnsdale-Ballybofey-Co-Donegal/872630/

Both same price per week, Im pretty set on renting a house since its so cheap compared to Dublin/Meath but thought Id have a look at apartments too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Looks like a house subdivided into flats. Depending on how well this was done, I'd reckon sound from downstairs will travel just as much as from upstairs.

Advantages of first floor over ground: security, privacy (people coming and going to first floor flat will be able see in windows of ground floor). Also you'll get the benefit of the heat of the flat below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Ground floor apartments tend to be darker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

IPAM wrote: »
    Good point but what about the noise making? Im not one to be banging around but if I got moany downstairs neighbours I'd go mad having to tip toe around :p
    You'd go even madder having to listen to them clomp around above you.

Really the only advantage of a ground floor is if you're elderly or disabled (and even then only if there's no lift).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Pro 1st floor:
    Heating will be cheaper on first floor because heat rises.
    Less chance of a break-in.
    Not having to keep your curtains closed all day because of nosey neighbours peeking in your window. (More relevant for flats though).

Pro ground floor:
    You will have more of a claim on garden space. I know you will probably have use of it either way but in reality if you are living on the ground floor access will be more convenient and less awkward feeling.

Looks like 1st is the way to go, cheers everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

www.daft.ie/21012342 is the above house. As you'll see in the pictures, the floors have the wooden stuff on them. Walking around this in your bare feet will be heard beneath you. The reason is, this is a normal house, and thus there is little or no soundproofing between the upstairs and downstairs.

www.daft.ie/2872633 is the house a year ago. Rent was €120 a week then, and is now €100 a week. You may be able to negotiate a better rent?

Houses for sale in the estate:
    www.daft.ie/1489190 unknown
    www.daft.ie/1516035 14 Lawnsdale
    www.daft.ie/1552896 37 Lawnsdale - looks the same layout - nice pictures of the house
    www.daft.ie/1542346 42 Lawnsdale
    www.daft.ie/1518535 43 Lawnsdale
    www.daft.ie/1542340 51 Lawnsdale
    www.daft.ie/1485464 76 Lawnsdale
    www.daft.ie/1485399 79 Lawnsdale
    www.daft.ie/1518357 107 Lawnsdale

From the pictures, I'm think both "apartments" are on the same floor.

Will definitely negotiate, Im sure the landlords would rather lose a few €€€ a month and have someone occupy the prop rather than have it empty and no money coming in at all.

I'll probably go for a house, this was a just incase thread, some really nice houses going for €120-€140 per week

edit: they'd hardly both be on same floor would they? That would be 4 bedrooms on 1 floor, 2 kitchen/dining areas and bathrooms?

edit: they'd hardly both be on same floor would they? That would be 4 bedrooms on 1 floor, 2 kitchen/dining areas and bathrooms?
    Check picture picture three; the fireplace. I can't think of one modern house that has a fireplace in the upstairs section of the house. In saying that, if I compare it to number 37, the kitchen and sitting room looks smaller, so it could be. So they could do the two bedrooms upstairs, but I'd wonder about the layout downstairs? The kitchen and living room downstairs would be a fair bit bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Both same price per week, Im pretty set on renting a house since its so cheap compared to Dublin/Meath but thought Id have a look at apartments too

I don't mean to be a prick, but what does this mean or matter? Do you work in meath? Is it cheap by Donegal standards or one of the six counties?

It means its cheaper to rent a house in Donegal than to rent a house in Meath from what I have seen. Ive seen 4 bedroom really nice houses in Donegal for €130-140 per week, an apartment where I currently live in Meath would be €200 per week or there abouts, not sure what you mean by the 6 counties or where in your post your being a prick...

TBH I dont know what you mean??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

i know this isn't relevant to your post but look at the sitting room furniture I have lived in a place with furniture like this and it is awful its very low to the ground, very small and very uncomfortable and I would really recommend you ask for it to be changed to a normal sofa as you will seriously regret living there and it will all be to an uncomfortable sitting room set which really is meant for a conservatory a home is suppose to be somewhere you can stretch out and relax and you will never do that in the sitting room with furniture like that

Thanks edellc, will remember that!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have no knowledge of the properties, but I would check if it has planning permission as a house or flats.

It means its cheaper to rent a house in Donegal than to rent a house in Meath from what I have seen. Ive seen 4 bedroom really nice houses in Donegal for €130-140 per week, an apartment where I currently live in Meath would be €200 per week or there abouts, not sure what you mean by the 6 counties or where in your post your being a prick...

TBH I dont know what you mean??

Of course its cheaper to rent in Donegal compared to Meath, one is the wilderness and the other is within commuting distance to Dublin. The question is why are you comparing the two, it makes no sense. Why are you thinking of moving? Are you going to be commuting to work in Meath or Dublin?

Of course its cheaper to rent in Donegal compared to Meath, one is the wilderness and the other is within commuting distance to Dublin.
    The only thing that I can think of is RA. Perhaps the OP doesn't mind where she lives, but does mind what sort of house she can get for what allowance she gets. If this is so, the OP should check if the RA allowance is the same in both places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

the_syco wrote: »
    The only thing that I can think of is RA. Perhaps the OP doesn't mind where she lives, but does mind what sort of house she can get for what allowance she gets. If this is so, the OP should check if the RA allowance is the same in both places.

From what I've heard there's a lot of the RA in Donegal.

sorry

the_syco wrote: »

I thought something similar earlier but if you are in donegal your chances of getting work are going to diminish greatly and the services and businesses that are there won't be anything compared to meath. I just feel that like the difference in rent there is also a difference in the standard of living or possibilities.

Advertisement