Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Places with no LOI team

• 07-04-2011 5:34pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Tbh I dont get why there is constant hostility from LOI fans to fans of foreign sides.

It does nobody any favours. The simple fact is that soccer in this country is not very well run and has too much competition.

For instance where I'm from in Cavan, there is no LOI side at any level. Now this is a big enough county, but nobody from here is going to go to Monaghan to watch a game. It's just not the same thing.

GAA is massive here most people support their local gaelic football side, and the county team. Now not to get into another topic entirely, but this is bearing in mind the club standard is awful and the gaelic football team while having a good history in the 50s has been dire ever since.

The other competition here ie Hurling, is non existent. In fact I'd say anyone who has a passing interest in hurling would know it is the worst hurling team around that get beat by record scores, teams from abroad and regional sides like Fingal.

So again I just dont think it's as simple as Arsenal, United, Liverpool etc are exciting and win most of time so people follow them. Well it isn't that way for me anyway.

Now before anyway says your boring me, or set up your own team, just hear me out. It's like this in most areas around the country barring the city areas and some other strongholds.

Alot of counties don't have a LOI team so again I think to continually blame barstoolers as they are known now on the level of the league is poor form.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Oh for the love of Jebus...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Firstly, i reckon this has been done just a few times before, secondly your first sentence is a massive generalisation, thirdly the no 'LOI team near me' is generally followed by 'i follow 'insert English/Scottish club here' so to be fair that could piss people off.

Mainly though do what you want and don't take what individuals say on the internet as the word for a whole massive group of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Why does it have to be a LOI team? Surely there are football clubs in your area that you could support? To the most passionate football supporters, the standard or level their club plays at doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Mainly though do what you want and don't take what individuals say on the internet as the word for a whole massive group of people.

That and as Iv said before - There are LOI teams that are far more local to you than ANY millionaire team, so saying youve no choice but to follow one of them is tripe. Show some patiotic pride. Follow a LoI side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

In before the muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

"I won't support Monaghan Utd because I live in Cavan, but I support Man Utd and Celtic!"

Seriously chap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

dan1895 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be a LOI team? Surely there are football clubs in your area that you could support? To the most passionate football supporters, the standard or level their club plays at doesn't matter.

Exactly.

The whole thing about supporting a club is watching them advance and grow. LoI clubs started out being LSL clubs or whateer, with YOUR support and with YOUR involvement you could make the local team reach the LoI.

The LoI is a business, you're not showing your interest so how do you expect people to know it would be viable to have a club there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

DB10 wrote: »
    Tbh I dont get why there is constant hostility from LOI fans to fans of foreign sides.

It does nobody any favours. The simple fact is that soccer in this country is not very well run and has too much competition.

For instance where I'm from in Cavan, there is no LOI side at any level. Now this is a big enough county, but nobody from here is going to go to Monaghan to watch a game. It's just not the same thing.

GAA is massive here most people support their local gaelic football side, and the county team. Now not to get into another topic entirely, but this is bearing in mind the club standard is awful and the gaelic football team while having a good history in the 50s has been dire ever since.

The other competition here ie Hurling, is non existent. In fact I'd say anyone who has a passing interest in hurling would know it is the worst hurling team around that get beat by record scores, teams from abroad and regional sides like Fingal.

So again I just dont think it's as simple as Arsenal, United, Liverpool etc are exciting and win most of time so people follow them. Well it isn't that way for me anyway.

Now before anyway says your boring me, or set up your own team, just hear me out. It's like this in most areas around the country barring the city areas and some other strongholds.

Alot of counties don't have a LOI team so again I think to continually blame barstoolers as they are known now on the level of the league is poor form.
    Are you serious? Monaghan isn't even an hour from Cavan?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Ebbs wrote: »
    Exactly.

The whole thing about supporting a club is watching them advance and grow. LoI clubs started out being LSL clubs or whateer, with YOUR support and with YOUR involvement you could make the local team reach the LoI.

The LoI is a business, you're not showing your interest so how do you expect people to know it would be viable to have a club there?

Lads see this is the thing, too many LOI fans get hostile and look down on others for not following the LOI.

Gavin Shels, you seem to be one who always does this. Expecting people to support a club side in a different county in reference to local football is stupid.

Would you go down to Wexford and support them if there was no team in Dublin? My arse you would, so there is no need to get all high and mighty.

And I've never once mentioned local club football. Cavan Town got to the the QF of the FAI junior Cup, I was at the game, fair play to them probably the furthest they've got in any national competition ever.

I just think it's sad so many LOI supporters are so bitter. It's always barstoolers this barstoolers that etc.

And no I dont support United or Celtic, but why you lot feel the need to look down on matchgoing Celtic fans who watch the tripe they serve up is a mystery but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

dead+horse.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement