Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat allegedly attacked a kid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I would echo what The Sweeper and Anniehoo have said-keep the cat indoors! I also would not pay the hospital bill unless definitive proof was shown, children can lie, or under duress say something that is not neccesarily true.

I can remember a similar situation from my late teens with a neighbours cat, one of the neighbours had a fat ginger tom, a real pussy cat that spent his time sitting on the walls and sunning himself. Another neighbour hated cats and as he was so lazy and very visible sitting on her back wall used to rant about him. Anyway, her little boy was scratched by a cat, and was extremely upset(one of those children who went into hysterics at the least thing) and all she could make out was that a cat had scratched him. She assumed it was the Ginger tom, and kept at the child until he gave in and said it was, and marched over to the neighbours shouting blue murder on the street-she was going to sue, the cat had to be put down, she was going to lay poison, she was going to get an airgun and shoot it. Real over the top craziness. Turns out the cat was dead and buried a week previous.

My point here is that you shouldn't just believe the woman and pay up, it may well be a case of mistaken identity!

As an aside-I can't believe she brought the kid to A&E for a scratch!! Her GP would have cost half that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Tell her that her kid bit your cat and the vets bill is €150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Mike... wrote: »
    If it was a dog you would be saying the same thing, have the animal destroyed that will end the hassle and show that your a responsible member of the community...

they see me Trollin, they hatin!

I call shenangigans on Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tanya1988

A cat does not attack unless provoked especially a house cat, I would look into the backround on this but to be on the safe time just pay the bill too:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Aishae wrote: »
    definitely ask for proof of the bill (and possibly to see the child too).
    Ask the kid what colour the cat is...
    franksm wrote: »
    My cat is pure white (although not one of the deaf types) so easily identifiable compared to, say, a tabby moggy.
    Still ask the kid what colour the cat that attacked them was. You could be known as "the cat lady" person, and assumed that any and all cats nearby are yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

You don't "play" with cats without expecting a few scratches.They're not really "playing" kind of animals. A&E for a cat scratch? God forbid the child ever truly got hurt...

I think she's seriously pushing some boundaries here OP, but you do need to protect yourself aswell, seeing as she's putting you in this position. (There's no accounting for stupidity). The Sweeper's advice is very good.

And is a tetanus injection really 100eur???

Surely this isn't the first time the child has been scratched by a cat if there's a few around the neighbourhood?? Any chance you could make a few discreet inquiries among your other neighbours??

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

dan_d wrote: »
    And is a tetanus injection really 100eur???
    Nope, that's the charge for turning up in A&E without a GP referral. Visit to the GP would have been about half that and no charge if you then need to go to A&E after consulting the GP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

franksm wrote: »
    Hi folks

A remote neighbour claims that my cat has attacked her kid, requiring her to go to hospital A&E for tetanus. The bill is headed my way for EUR100.

Now, I can't believe my cat would do something like that unless in self defence.

Am I liable to pay ?

Also, the kids mother threatened that the cat would end up dead if the bill wasn't paid, which is a different ball game as I don't want to be subject to extortion.

I realise this forum isn't for giving legally binding advice, but any advice is welcome

Thanks
    Frank

Luckily for you there's no legal requirement for you to control your cat, the law recognises that as an animal they are not merely a small dog, and as such their behaviour is much more different. You are required to keep your dog under control at all times. As to whether the cat acted in self-defence, this really is a moot point, and one that is really irrelevant. Upsetting as it is, if you feel you have been threatened, there is a legal precedent under animal welfare legislation and indeed common law for such behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Tanya1988 wrote: »
    A cat does not attack unless provoked especially a house cat, I would look into the backround on this but to be on the safe time just pay the bill too:rolleyes:

That's not necessarily true, cats are predators and depending on the size of the child and what he/she may have been holding (e.g.: a kebab or prey-like object in the cat's eyes) the cat may have been inclined to try and get some for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The cat should be destroyed immediately...
    If it was a dog you would be saying the same thing, have the animal destroyed that will end the hassle and show that your a responsible member of the community...

Are you the self appointed health and safety guy in the office Mike?

Things have gone wrong when kids can't run in school, mess, climb trees, play with pets when the likes of Mike here are around. They want their ounce of blood for every little scratch and scrape, usually in €€$$££ but you get the extremists that want animals to be destroyed too.

When myself and my brothers were kids we got bitten by animals, we fell off horses, we fell (got pushed) in to rivers and canals, we went canoeing and sailing on our own, we ran in the yard, we had stakeboards and bmx's, we climbed trees etc...

Now, unfortunately you have Mike here. Pampered as a child, wouldn't climb a tree without a fire escape or someone to sue if he fell.

Lets hand it out to Mike.. thanks Mike, you fooked it up for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

BUMP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Are you the self appointed health and safety guy in the office Mike?

Things have gone wrong when kids can't run in school, mess, climb trees, play with pets when the likes of Mike here are around. They want their ounce of blood for every little scratch and scrape, usually in €€$$££ but you get the extremists that want animals to be destroyed too.

When myself and my brothers were kids we got bitten by animals, we fell off horses, we fell (got pushed) in to rivers and canals, we went canoeing and sailing on our own, we ran in the yard, we had stakeboards and bmx's, we climbed trees etc...

Now, unfortunately you have Mike here. Pampered as a child, wouldn't climb a tree without a fire escape or someone to sue if he fell.

Lets hand it out to Mike.. thanks Mike, you fooked it up for everyone.

Hahaha, JR, I got bitten by the neighbours dog when I was a nipper and when I came home crying my father gave me a slap on the behind for NOT LISTENING to him in the first place. Those were the days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Gotta love some posts in this thread. You are responsible for your cat and IMO shouldnt be let roam the streets.
    Kids will be kids, and by that I mean kids will approach cats/dogs on the street from time to time and should expect not to be attacked by a cat on the loose. The same goes for dogs too.

We're terrorised by cats in my estate. My neighbour has scratches all over the roof of his car because the cats like to lay up there in the sun. I often pick up the cat sh1t from my back garden and find them trying to get at stuff in the bin, I even found one in my kitchen one day trying to get at the hamster. Who's responsible for the actions of those cat?

Take responsibility for your animal and pay the money and count yourself lucky the kid wasnt blinded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Kids will be kids, and by that I mean kids will approach cats/dogs

Take responsibility for your animal and pay the money and count yourself lucky the kid wasnt blinded

And cats will be cats, in that if an uncoordinated person come stumbling over they will act as if they are being attacked, and attack back then run away.

Cats blinding children,A tad bit dramatic? How many kids yearly are blinded by cats?

sambuka41 wrote: »
    And cats will be cats, in that if an uncoordinated person come stumbling over they will act as if they are being attacked, and attack back then run away.

Cats being cats isn't a plausible excuse. A Cat is a persons pet and their responsibility, if a dog had done that people would be screaming for it to be put to sleep. Answer me this, if a cat scratches a cars paint work who should pay to have it fixed?

Cats blinding children,A tad bit dramatic? How many kids yearly are blinded by cats?

Dramatic?

No. If a child went over to a Cat (as you would expect a child to do from time to time) or if the Cat went over to the child and the Cat lashed out, where would the Cats target be?
    In around the face area if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Well ill give my two cents on this one.
    Firstly if the kid in question is 8 years old +- and is allowed to be outside on his/her own then he/she should know better than touching things / pets that don’t belong to them. Blame parents

On the other hand pets should also not be running around wild – if they cause damage then you are morally liable in my opinion. I would say the fault is with both parties.

Beside no proof it’s your cat.

A few years ago before he sadly passed on , I had a large dog that one day was accused of mauling and killing several sheep , I was living in Holland at the time and the local police was called and wanted to shoot the dog . Several witnesses swore blind that it was my dog. Luckily my dog had been at the vets for an operation on the day and so he had a water tight alibi otherwise he would have been destroyed.
    Saying that if my dog had done so or hurt /mauled a kid then I would have had him destroyed.

But being a responsible pet owner,my pets are not roaming around as I know some kids are cruel little turds who could and might hurt my pets and the parents of kids are often not responsible and frequently don’t keep an eye on them.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Edward Carson

Gotta love some posts in this thread. You are responsible for your cat and IMO shouldnt be let roam the streets.
    Kids will be kids, and by that I mean kids will approach cats/dogs on the street from time to time and should expect not to be attacked by a cat on the loose. The same goes for dogs too.

We're terrorised by cats in my estate. My neighbour has scratches all over the roof of his car because the cats like to lay up there in the sun. I often pick up the cat sh1t from my back garden and find them trying to get at stuff in the bin, I even found one in my kitchen one day trying to get at the hamster. Who's responsible for the actions of those cat?

Take responsibility for your animal and pay the money and count yourself lucky the kid wasnt blinded.

Count yourself equally as lucky that the cat wasn't blinded or otherwise injured, given that the child is the offspring of such a nasty individual.

I'm amused by those people who assume that when dogs or cats roam free it is only children who are endangered. In my own case, I'd be far more worried about what my pets might suffer at the hands of some children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I think the issue is not whether or its a cat or a dog natural behaviour but whether or not we are morally responsible for our pets behaviour and the answer is yes. Just as a parent is morally responsible for ensuring their offspring know that being cruel and tormenting animals is not only wrong but can end in injury.

Count yourself equally as lucky that the cat wasn't blinded or otherwise injured, given that the child is the offspring of such a nasty individual.

Why should I count myself luck? :confused:
    I'm amused by those people who assume that when dogs or cats roam free it is only children who are endangered. In my own case, I'd be far more worried about what my pets might suffer at the hands of some children.

Irresponsible pet owners who let their pets roam free are to blame for a lot of damage and destruction to peoples property and not just to children.
    A responsible pet owner knows where their pets are at all times and yes some kids cant be trusted alone near pets but it's your responsibility to ensure your pet isn't left alone with them.

Why should I count myself luck? :confused:

Irresponsible pet owners who let their pets roam free are to blame for a lot of damage and destruction to peoples property and not just to children.
    A responsible pet owner knows where their pets are at all times and yes some kids cant be trusted alone near pets but it's your responsibility to ensure your pet isn't left alone with them.

I was addressing the OP - the lack of italics should have implied that.

Who could dispute the fact that such destruction is caused by free-roaming pets? The owners of such pets should be held accountable.

I would never allow my pets near the children of the general public, yet all too many parents allow their children to approach dogs on leashes in public parks without any consideration of the possible dangers involved. I am deeply aware of my responsibilities as a pet owner and I act accordingly.

• Advertisement

I was addressing the OP - the lack of italics should have implied that.

Normally when someone is quoted and the following text is "count yourself lucky" it's safe to assume that the person was referring to the person quote, no?

Normally when someone is quoted and the following text is "count yourself lucky" it's safe to assume that the person was referring to the person quote, no?

Given that you're not the OP, no . . . perhaps that's just a personal practice! You didn't quote the OP in the response I addressed, did you? Were you replying to the OP or making a general point?

Anyway, back on topic.

Given that you're not the OP, no . . . perhaps that's just a personal practice! You didn't quote the OP in the response I addressed, did you? Were you replying to the OP or making a general point?

Anyway, back on topic.

Clear as mud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As the law does not require you to keep a cat under control then it is a civil matter & virtually impossible to win legally. One might be able to provide isolated evidence of random attacks by cats but the strong balance of probability is that the child touched or handled the cat. In this case it would be no different to them handling a wild animal.

Also for someone to be ordered to pay there has to be negligence. As there is no requirement to control a cat it would be impossible to prove that the owner had knowingly allowed a vicious cat to roam the streets.

If the OP does decide to pay, which I wouldn't, then they need to write a letter stating that it was an act of God, that no negligence is implied & that the amount is in full & final settlement of any present & future claims. The letter should be copied & both parties should sign both copies in front of witnesses.

Answer me this, if a cat scratches a cars paint work who should pay to have it fixed?

Not the owner of the cat. You are legally obliged to control your children but not your cat

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

send the cat to finish the job

Discodog wrote: »
    Not the owner of the cat. You are legally obliged to control your children but not your cat

So what is the legal status of a pet cat then? Is it seen as a wild animal?

So what is the legal status of a pet cat then? Is it seen as a wild animal?

No it is a domestic animal but it is not subject to any control. The law works on the basis of species being named if the law applies to them or if they are specifically excluded. Cats are not mentioned.

Advertisement