Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Applicants & Mock Results

• 07-04-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Just out of interest, what sort of mock results did medical applicants get? At the start of you reply post the Points and/or Grades and what you hope to get in the real thing.

Mine werent great but I'm 90% sure I wont get into med school now.. then again I havent yet opened a book for the leaving cert so its my own fault!

English B3
    Irish B1
    French B2
    Geog B2
    Biology B3
    Home Ec B1

Total: 480

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Mine werent great but I'm 90% sure I wont get into med school now.. then again I havent yet opened a book for the leaving cert so its my own fault!

Total: 480

This doesn't add up. You're goin' for Med and you haven't opened a book?:confused:
    & you got 480 in the mocks and you haven't opened a book?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to go for med until a couple of weeks before the HPAT and reckon I did awfully in it. Didn't have the practice book or anything. Yes I'm stupid but it's done now. Now I'm disheartened about med so was just wondering how other med aplicants did in the mocks..

Didn't do anything for the mocks except the night before for a few of them. Actually, I did study a bit for Irish because I was down at C1/2's before..

Are you saying 480 is good or bad? :confused: It's not fantastic I know but as I've said I'm disheartened about med now..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

you dont do chemistry?

anyway i did very little study, got 505. i expect to do well in the hpat, and to get into med school too haha. i got a d1 in maths and had to count it though, hope to bring that up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

English - B1
    Irish - C2
    Maths - C2
    French - B2
    Biology - A1
    Chemistry - A1
    Engineering - A1
    Business - A1

Total: 565 points in the mock. If I can just maintain that in the real exam i'll be absolutely delighted.

As for the HPAT, I have no idea. I hope I did well but that's the most I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Are you saying 480 is good or bad? :confused: It's not fantastic I know but as I've said I'm disheartened about med now..
    Why are there so many threads about mock results?It really only gives you a fairly vague idea of what you will get.

Anyway back on topic,480 is good for the mocks,I went up 70 points in the real thing. Very few people will go down in the real thing,most go up,and some go up by a fair bit.I'd say you have a decent chance of getting Med.Although I don't believe that you "Didn't open a book",to someone hoping to do med that means "I didn't do as much as I wanted". I know because that was me;)

But remember Mocks are not a prediction of what you will get in the LC.Stop obsessing over them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

No I don't do chem. As I said, applying for med was a bit spur of the moment. Would love to go back to the start of 5th year again now and have shosen bio, chem, home ec and french.. hate geography with a passion..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No I don't do chem. As I said, applying for med was a bit spur of the moment. Would love to go back to the start of 5th year again now and have shosen bio, chem, home ec and french.. hate geography with a passion..
    You can still change your CAO from the 5th of May to the 1st of July free of charge if you want to do something else. 480 is pretty good without any study, it'd be difficult, but not impossible, to make it to 550 in 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Pharmanimal

jumpguy wrote: »
    You can still change your CAO from the 5th of May to the 1st of July free of charge if you want to do something else. 480 is pretty good without any study, it'd be difficult, but not impossible, to make it to 550 in 2 months.

What are you talking about?
    I got 530 with no study and would be shocked to get anything but 600 in the real thing.

Add 100 to your total if you really didn't study.

Absolute b*llsh1t. You don't just add a figure on and that's what you''ll get.

I got 530 with no study and would be shocked to get anything but 600 in the real thing.

Good man.

• Advertisement

Look at it like this:
    I got a B2 in Bio, Chem and Phys.

I'm guaranteed an A1 in each of these for the real thing.

Same can be said for maths, though I did scrape an A1 without knowing any proofs.

I understand that studying has diminshing returns, but the boost to performance from the initial hours of studying a subject are phenomenal.

How can you guarantee that you''ll get 90% or above in these three subjects?
    Can you guarantee you won't, be sick on the day/get your timing wrong/be un prepared for a question? Have a really tough marking examiner?

Look at it like this:

You are yeah, sure you don't even have to sit the exam and you'll get an A1 because you got a B2 in your mocks without studying. How are you "gauranteed" anything in the Leaving Cert? It takes hard work to bring points up, doing no study for the mocks doesn't indicate the most determined work ethic, so clearly that has to be overcome before you can improve in the first place. Some people learn quicker, some people can revise better because they're so used to it, if you can come up 100 points as you claim, that's not to say everyone else can.

Trying to eliminate the competition I see...

I know nothing is definite, and the human psyche is most temperamental, but let's be realistic.

If you're breaking 500 just from a general awareness of the subjects you study, you're most certainly intelligent enough to reach the upper echelons of leaving cert. success

Just so you know, I do have an excellent work ethic, I simply had more pressing matters at the time.

Look at it like this:

Same can be said for maths, though I did scrape an A1 without knowing any proofs.

I understand that studying has diminshing returns, but the boost to performance from the initial hours of studying a subject are phenomenal.
    You aren't guaranteed anything. No one is.

You may get a B2 in the mock and go up to an A1. You may get a B2 in the mock and then plummet to a D3. You cannot predict your grades and take things for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

Nobody is guaranteed a grade. You might definitely be capable of an A1, that does not guarantee the grade come June. Happened to plenty of people last year with Chemistry when they threw in a couple unexpected parts. I wouldn't assume :/

I may be coming across as being quite arrogant, allow me to clarify.

Subjects such as the sciences are predictable and repetitive.
    There are a finite number of topics to be covered.
    If you study the prescribed literature in its entirety, you will get an A1, assuming you have a suitable level of intelligence to begin with.

I'm not even applying for medicine, nor have I done the HPAT, i was simply skulking this thread and decided to stick my oar in :D

Look at it like this:

If you're guaranteed an A1 in each of them then don't go in to any of them classes and don't do any homework/study in any of them, after all you are guaranteed an A1 in all of them, you could then concentrate on the rest of your subjects so you can be guaranteed an A1 those as well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

A b2 to an A1 is a very hard transition. You wouldn't think it but breaking out of that 85%-90% is really, really difficult. And in any case, a B2 is a long way off an A2. I think you need to reconsider your predictions.

• Advertisement

A b2 to an A1 is a very hard transition. You wouldn't think it but breaking out of that 85%-90% is really, really difficult. And in any case, a B2 is a long way off an A2. I think you need to reconsider your predictions.

Well considering I have never gotten anything but A1's in my October/ December/ Summer tests, (and these are each 2 hours long, not class tests) I'm not too worried.

You people must be really bad if you think A1's are hard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

You sir, are a massive troll.

Personally, I was one mark away from an A1 in my Biology pre (359/400) and 2% away in Chemistry (88%).
    If you've been getting A1's all year and then you drop three grades to a B2 thats quite a serious drop in standard, clearly your tests aren't that challenging. :P I've also been getting straight A's in my science subjects but unlike you, I was able to maintain my standard. :)

Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck with your "guaranteed" A1s. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Exothermic :eek: how dare you..clearly he is 'guarenteed' A1s ;)

I'm not trolling, just being immodest.

Haters gonna hate, see ya in August :)

P.S. sparagon, wtf are you talking about? "Guarenteed" appears no where on this page. What are you trying to quote/ accomplish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Look at it like this:

??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

:O

I'm not trolling, just being immodest.

Haters gonna hate, see ya in August :)

P.S. sparagon, wtf are you talking about? "Guarenteed" appears no where on this page. What are you trying to quote/ accomplish?

I believe crayolastereo will clear that up for you:)

if getting 600 and A1's is so easy, then why exactly do only about 100 and something get it every year? Because thats the way the LC and the marking is designed. They do it to ensure that only a small percentage of people will be able to achieve it.

Few people are capable of 600 points because the majority of students are laughably stupid.

The human gene pool is being run into the ground by today's idea of morality.
    Forget "survival of the fittest".
    Not only do we not euthanise the disabled, we as a species go out of our way to facilitate their existence.

Meanwhile, the genetically superior among our population (such as myself) dominate.
    Big fish, small pond :D

P.S. I was referring to your spelling of "guarenteed", sparagon. I interpreted your message as trying to convey a misspelling on my part. Have you just made an error yourself?

Yes I made an error myself..I guess its because, I, like the majority of students, am laughably stupid ;) my bad

• Advertisement

Few people are capable of 600 points because the majority of students are laughably stupid.
    Meanwhile, the genetically superior among our population (such as myself) dominate.
    Big fish, small pond :D
    I may be coming across as being quite arrogant.

Yes, you're coming across as being quite arrogant. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement