Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few from my holidays

• 07-04-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I was in San Fran, mexico and NY last month and thought I'd share some of my snaps. These are from the San Fran and NY parts - the Mexico part of the trip was a simply to relax by the pool and the camera spent most of the week in the safe!
    There are (bit) bigger version on flickr and all were taken with a Canon 7D using either a 30mm ƒ1.4, a 85mm ƒ1.8 or a 10-20mm. (Details on flickr of which used which).

(some of these might be a repost)

#1 Bay Bridge, San Fran
    5565019529_dedc468208_z.jpg

#2 Homeless Dude, San Fran
    5569640198_f5b0d86ce0_z.jpg

#3 Market Street, San Fran
    5597981797_a8f8825934_z.jpg

#4 Lomard Steet, San Fran
    5585276762_0b26407a12_z.jpg

#5 Brooklyn Bridge, NY
    5595851391_046361a0e4_z.jpg

#6 Subway, NY (Matrix style! :D)
    5579084932_035498e6e2_z.jpg

#7 Taxi, NY
    F55A66C2F2C64AF5A3C055727CEFED52-0000328223-0002254695-00640L-7FF80CC2814E46BFB518E0C72C98C782.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm finding it very hard to fins something wrong or that I don't like...

Excellent photos man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I knew I'd love them all before I even clicked.

Lomard St is my favourite. Also the other street by night with the pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wow! Such detail and clarity. Fantastic. Love #1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Super shots, as always. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mooner

Great photos, love the shot of the cab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Fantastic shots. Could see them all up on my wall in large canvas..Love them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Very nice set. Love the cinematic feel to them. Especially the phone shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Wow, some stunning shots there! Not sure what one is my fav! haha I'm in love with 2 and 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Excellent set, any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

smashing stuff. i'm a fan of what you can do with low/ambient light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

oshead wrote: »
    Very nice set. Love the cinematic feel to them. Especially the phone shot.

I was thinking the very same. Great pictures. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

i love the states, great pictures the one of the yella cab is best wud love it on my wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

More please :p Super shots. Makes me wanna take my camera out at night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Fantastic shots. I love all these. Dying to know your post production on these shots

Would also be very interested in knowing more of your post processing techniques!

I think number 5 is my favourite, and I think that number 6 would've been great if you had a train passing by as you took it. Number 4, whilst not a bad image, would be my least favourite of them all.

Can I ask, was 'Homeless Dude' aware that you were taking his photograph at the time? Just curious. Doesn't seem like a very approachable fellow, but at the same time, doesn't look like the sorta man you want to annoy :P

Excellent photographs! I'd say you're fairly pleased, Kev?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

WOW - thanks for all the positive feedback!

@oshead - the cinematic look was what I was after in some of them, but especially the subway / phone one. I commended on flickr that it was inspired by the (1st :D) matrix film ......by the way you wouldn't believe how bloody difficult it is to find a telephone in empty subway between Thurs-Saturday. & I was looking!

@Borderfox. Aye I've a few alright but haven't got around to PP'ing them yet!

@swingking. Each were PP'd differently. I could go into them all but I would be here all day :D. Any particular one?

@KKV re: Homeless dude. Nah he didn't know I was talking his picture. I'd would say he was pretty harmless but lucky I caught him when he just began to look up at his mate and the bad teeth and dirty bear made him look evil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Love them all, great job

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭garden_snapper

Amazing shots. Each one makes me want to learn more which is the greatest compliment I can pay you. They are all simply inspirational.

I am in the process of building a kit and reading way to much! This may be a stupid question to the pros here but I gotta ask it! Did you use a tripod for all these shots? I am thinking you did but I'm travelling to Miami, Caribbean & Vegas on my honeymoon in a few weeks and was looking into photography on the travels and alot of feedback was that you would not be allowed to set up a tripod in public places like the subway or bridges?

I won't be bringing my tripod anyway but was just curious how you got around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Love this set Kev. Amazing look about them, I'd say they would look well printed big :D

Thanks for continued positive feedback everyone! Im blown away!

@ garden_snapper
    I used a tripod in #1 as it was a 30 second exposure. There rest were all handheld

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Smashing work Kev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Jesus, those shots are fab!! I love them all. My fav is the cab and the Matrix Subway (one of my fav films too!). What software do you use to pp them?

mumof2 wrote: »
    Jesus, those shots are fab!! I love them all. My fav is the cab and the Matrix Subway (one of my fav films too!). What software do you use to pp them?

Thanks!
    They were all done in lightroom and the ones with the black border were added after in photoshop. Most of the editing for the outdoor night ones involved shifting the white balance to remove the tungsten colour from the street nights.
    The subway one was done similarly, but deliberately shifted towards a green tint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Meh,
    #1 = alright
    #2 = ok, too
    #3 = Yeah, OK
    #4 = not too bad
    #5 = Hmmm
    #6= Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    #7 = hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Really, how do you do this so consistently?

I love the series, it conveys a great flavour of where you have been,tells a story...and yet, each one can stand on its own merits.

Thanks for posting them!

- FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

I'm going to be the party pooper I'm afraid. :)

All very nice shots, but I get the sense I've seen most of them before. Don't think the ubiquitous "Homeless Dude" brings anything to the party either.

That aside, nice shots but I think someone with your skills might delve a bit deeper maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

#'s 1 & 5 for me.
    Stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I love the colour and the clarity of the pics, its what I'd like my pics to end up looking like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

#5,6 +7 I like a lot.

1 (Bay Bridge)- for me the footbridge in the foreground takes away from it and adds too much bright light into the picture. The Golden Gates are 'the' attraction and could look lovely with the city lights in the background

here's some nices pics on Flickr by Thomas Hawk

4 is nice but it looks like you were crying out for a wide angle lens to get more of the road in. The 'P' from the stop distracts me and wants me to be able to see the whole width of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Don't normally post in C+C threads but they are great photos :)

I really like the contrast and tones of the homeless guy photo! What was the exposure settings for that photo?!

• Advertisement

First off, thanks for all the feedback. This wasn't intended to be a C&C thread - just a way of sharing some photos. But now that I've got some, the C&C is more than welcome!
    dinneenp wrote: »
    #5,6 +7 I like a lot.

1 (Bay Bridge)- for me the footbridge in the foreground takes away from it and adds too much bright light into the picture. The Golden Gates are 'the' attraction and could look lovely with the city lights in the background

here's some nices pics on Flickr by Thomas Hawk

4 is nice but it looks like you were crying out for a wide angle lens to get more of the road in. The 'P' from the stop distracts me and wants me to be able to see the whole width of the road.

Was disappointed not to be able to get any night shots of the golden gate bridge as I didn't have my camera the evening we drove past, but personally I think the bay is prettier (at night :D). I'll look at that link later this evening.

RE: No. 4. It was taken at 10mm on a crop sensor. Unless I'd a fisheye I wasn't going to get much wider! But yeah I see what you mean about the 'P'. I just liked the old car on the side of the very steep hill.
    tororosso wrote: »
    Don't normally post in C+C threads but they are great photos :)

I really like the contrast and tones of the homeless guy photo! What was the exposure settings for that photo?!

The EXXIF is here. Basically f1.8 using a 85mm on a 7D

About #4 : I really love it. Love the green tone, and yes, the P is slightly distracting, but really love that straight avenue downhill and the view of the town.
    I don't think I would have wanted more of the road, I like the proportions, but the P gone, yes.

About #4 : I really love it. Love the green tone, and yes, the P is slightly distracting, but really love that straight avenue downhill and the view of the town.
    I don't think I would have wanted more of the road, I like the proportions, but the P gone, yes.

A 30 second edit
    D1ECB667706841BE8AFFB5007754D0E8-0000328223-0002271767-00640L-066A8BB7D88E471D883803B7DF3CDE41.jpg

Perfect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Truly excellent photos Kev

Advertisement