Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Letting cattle out of the shed

• 07-04-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I let out a good share of cows and calves today:)
    The calves went stone mad, they broke every strand of electric fence I had in the place:mad::And then broke it again:(
    I bet others had the same problem.
    Anyone got some good tips or solutions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I usually only let a few of them out each day. They are usually less likely to run mad then, if the rest of them couldn't be bothered. Helps to let them out hungry too..... and early in the day aswell so that they dont get pneumonia from sweating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Would you have an enclosed yard or small paddock that you could get them trained to the fence? That's our plan (diary replacements so quieter;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭stanflt

we only let stock out on a dull overcast day-they say the younger stock can see the fences better

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manjou

used to have same problem but this year let cows and calves out one at a time took all morning but calves stayed with cows as they were a bit hungry. and did not go mad just started eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lilbelter

We let them out in smaller lots as well, maybe 10-12. I'll usually let hem out of the shed after they've finished eating in the morning, into a pen in the yard outside for at least 2 hours. This allows their eyes to adjust to the light (after all they have been indoors for 5 months!). let them into smaller fields initially if possible that have clearly visible boundaries/ditches. They'll make minced meat of paddock fences. Also when letting them out of the yard try to let them, as much as you can depending on your set-up, to leave the yard gradually themselves as opposed to driving them out, which can make them nervous.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I have two cows that are sisters.. There is murder when they get out. I have to keep them seperate in the pens over the winter or they will kill one another..

I takes the hours before they came down from headbutting on the first day out, even with calves at foot they loose the head completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Figerty wrote: »
    I have two cows that are sisters.. There is murder when they get out. I have to keep them seperate in the pens over the winter or they will kill one another..

I takes the hours before they came down from headbutting on the first day out, even with calves at foot they loose the head completely.

I have 2 cows like that, not related though. I often have to seperate them during the winter when all hell breaks out. Both heavily pregnant aswell. I reckon they are fighting for the position of head mama.

Another time, the whole herd attacked this one cow that had just calved. She was the first to calve in the year. The previous year I had them all calve down as heifers. I reckon it was jealousy, as they could see her new calf through the gate.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

will never forget , years ago we had 2 bulls in tully that where full brothers from an embryo transfer... when the testing was done we went to get them in the jeep and trailer- i was around 7 months pregnant at the time.... when we got to tully the man told us the 2 bulls had had a falling out about a week previous and that they had to seperate them.. so we tied one bull at the front of the trailer and one at the back.... grand until we got to the nass road and one of the bulls broke his halter and was beating blue murder out of the other bull... trailer was going all over the road as we where stuck in friday evening traffic:eek::eek: we couldnt go in to the trailer as we would be killed... my husband thought i was going to go in to labour along the road side .... was the longest journey ever ... we had to drive along the hard shoulder most of the way and as soon as we stopped the trailer was going everywhere again:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Would you have an enclosed yard or small paddock that you could get them trained to the fence? That's our plan (diary replacements so quieter;))

That's what we do... train with about 10m of wire, have it so that all other fence is off only that stretch, mains fencer on 10m of wire makes them learn real fast... In a macabre sort of way its amusing to see calves running to suck the cow after wrapping their tongue round it :p

Advertisement