Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Stray Cat

• 07-04-2011 8:24pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So there's this cat that's been hanging around my garden for months now. He just sort of passes through every now and then. We give him a bit of a feed once in a while and he sleeps in the garden occasionally. He's nowhere near tame though and will just about allow you to get close enough to feed him. He's had this runny eye thing for a while on and off. Yesterday he showed up in the garden moving very very slowly and wouldn't eat or drink anything. He went down into the bushes and has been just lying there ever since. I was watching him earlier and it took him about 3 minutes to stand up, turn himself around and lie down again.
    I'd take him to the vet if I could get him out from where he is but like I said he's not exactly tame and even though he seems very weak I don't think I'd be able to get him out from where he is without hurting or stressing him.

So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea what might be wrong with him? Might it just be a little virus or something that might pass in a day or two or should I be calling a vet out to put him down where he is? Do they even do that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

He sounds really sick, sometimes they just rest for a few days and get better, but it could be something serious.

I was going to say you could call the local vets and rescue shelters and see if anyone has a cat trap to trap him and bring him to the vet, but if he doesn't want food then he mightn't go into the trap. If you try though, try something really smelly like fish warmed up in the microwave.

Are there any rescue societies near you that could come and catch him? If you try to catch him yourself, wear thick gloves and use a towel, catch him by the scruff of the neck. Even when they're really weak they could give you a really nasty bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

Elmo, definitely take the cat to the vet if you can. As previous poster said , if you can wrap her in a towel and get her into a cat carrier.

My cat showed similar symtoms a couple of months ago and the reason she wasn't moving was that she had a really high temperature due to an infection.

The vet treated her and she was fine , so defo get the cat seen to by a vet,

Best of luck

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thanks guys.

We're going to see how he is in the morning and do our best to get him out from where he is and get him seen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

Thanks guys.

We're going to see how he is in the morning and do our best to get him out from where he is and get him seen to.
    yeah best to get him to the vets he might have even bein knocked down or someone might have kicked him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pokertalk wrote: »
    yeah best to get him to the vets he might have even bein knocked down or someone might have kicked him

Funny you should mention that. He showed up one of the days last week all dirty down one side of his back. We thought maybe he was hit by something but he was moving around fine and eating and drinking alright. It was only yesterday that he wasn't able to move.

Suppose the vet will know either way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement