Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The safest place on the planet is Ireland?

• 07-04-2011 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

I hope i got this in the right place if i didnt please feel free to move it to the right area thanks :)

IT MIGHT sound like the script for a terrifying Hollywood end-of-the-world blockbuster.

Ireland will act like a lifeboat for people fleeing drought, rising seas and destructive weather in decades to come, a leading climate change expert has warned.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ireland-will-be-a-lifeboat-for-people-fleeing-climate-chaos-2612593.html

Ireland could become one of the last remaining refuges in a world crippled by global warming, according to a climate change expert.

Professor Brendan Gleeson, of the National University of Ireland (NUI) at Maynooth, was speaking in the first of a series of lectures on the dangers of climate change, entitled "An Urban World at Risk".

He urged governments to consider the potential consequences of an influx of people from around the world fleeing rising seas, drought and destructive weather.

"This will generate enormous migratory shifts, as displaced and stressed populations flee the sea level rise and wildly destructive weather.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12998760

What did you think of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Hey mods since this isnt very popular here could it be moved to humanities? please if you dont mind.
    Thanks casey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

..not if we see another Ice age :) Ireland will be under a thick sheet of ice..

dlofnep wrote: »
    ..not if we see another Ice age :) Ireland will be under a thick sheet of ice..

No ice just rising seas and hotter climates making other countries desert lands.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

caseyann wrote: »
    No ice just rising seas and hotter climates making other countries desert lands.:eek:

artic melt could potentially cause an ice age by altering the ocean currents..

dlofnep wrote: »
    artic melt could potentially cause an ice age by altering the ocean currents..

I have heard such a theory,but how ever we are talking about these findings.
    What do you think of them.
    I was thinking should be transferred to humanity forum,as the implications are that Ireland will be the last safe place on the planet.And huge amounts of refugees will come here and Ireland will suffer greatly from it.
    What you think here or humanities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm after moving the thread to Humanities (hope the mods here don't mind) not on the basis of it's popularity etc... but on the basis that it isn't really Environmental/Earth Science and discussion of the current subject matter is best suited here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The only reason for Ireland being named as the last habitable place is that the claim was reported by the Indo 'quoting' a scientist living in Ireland. Maybe some places will become uninhabitable - or unpleasant, more likely, but I doubt there is any good reason why this tiny island off the edge of europe should be the last place standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

As an island I thought we would be in high risk of being flooded a lot, due to the Polar ice-caps melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭chimpo85

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    As an island I thought we would be in high risk of being flooded a lot, due to the Polar ice-caps melting.

I would have thought the same...considering the topography of the country as a whole...like a large basin. Although the west is lined with some large ranges that could stem inward flooding?

chimpo85 wrote: »
    I would have thought the same...considering the topography of the country as a whole...like a large basin. Although the west is lined with some large ranges that could stem inward flooding?

Not according to this scientist.And if you know anything about it maybe you can prove with facts that he is mistaken.Because alot of people who are in that line believe him.
    Now probably wont be alive to see it.But the effect on Ireland already with mass influx of people who dont work from other countries, and no jobs there and not enough money or housing.Imagine Ireland with shanty towns and refuges spilling in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

caseyann wrote: »
    Not according to this scientist.And if you know anything about it maybe you can prove with facts that he is mistaken.Because alot of people who are in that line believe him.
    Now probably wont be alive to see it.But the effect on Ireland already with mass influx of people who dont work from other countries, and no jobs there and not enough money or housing.Imagine Ireland with shanty towns and refuges spilling in.

Well we are heading for a hosepipe ban this summer if this dry weather remainsin the East. So add in extra population and the relativily poor growing land in certain of the higher ground areas it would be difficult to support a large refugee population. Always Solyent Green I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

If sellafield gets flooded and blows we won't be too safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

so are they really still peddling thei global warming sh1t despite having the coldest winter on record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

so are they really still peddling thei global warming sh1t despite having the coldest winter on record

Its rename climate change as people were getting confused by the term global warning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

One of my classmates in uni had to present a paper by Sherwood and Huber where they talked about the effect an increase in temperature would have on the ability of humans to live in certain regions of the world.
    Abstract. The potential severity of future climate change impacts
    remains uncertain, but adaptability is assumed possible even for very large
    warmings should they occur. Here we define a robust limit to human
    adaptability for the first time. Maximum tolerable heat stress is governed
    by environmental web bulb temperature, TW, which must remain lower than skin temperature (» 35±C) to avoid hyperthermia. TW reaches maxima
    of 25-30 ±C in most of the world today. Global-mean warming of 7-8±C
    would begin to produce conditions where sustained dissipation of body
    heat is thermodynamically impossible for humans and other mammals,
    rendering some regions uninhabitable. 11-12±C warming would extend these conditions over an area encompassing the majority of today’s population.
    One implication is that recent estimates of the costs of unmitigated warming are much too low, at least for very large warmings.

It deals with fairly extreme temperature rises but I still found it pretty interesting.

I'm would think that Ireland is pretty safe from anything but extreme sea level rises, certainly in comparison to parts of Asia, which I guess is what he is referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Interestingly enough, Wikileaks has leaked (sorry I know:o) cables in relation to certain nations trawling the Arctic circle for natural resources (oil) , which will get a lot easier once the ice melts.

At least some people will be happy about climate change as they get to further exploit the consequneces of what our previous exploitation resulted in. :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/9483790.stm

Was glad not to see our name on teh list. Reckon Russia will have issues with the "carving" as their flag was there first. (Well not really...)

Colder winters, warmer summers....thats where the trouble lies

diddlybit wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, Wikileaks has leaked (sorry I know:o) cables in relation to certain nations trawling the Arctic circle for natural resources (oil) , which will get a lot easier once the ice melts.

At least some people will be happy about climate change as they get to further exploit the consequneces of what our previous exploitation resulted in. :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/9483790.stm

Was glad not to see our name on teh list. Reckon Russia will have issues with the "carving" as their flag was there first. (Well not really...)

Here we go again...we start to see improvements with Tropical rainforests over the last 20 years, we stem the levels of deforestation but simply move on to the poles... Its like trying to punish a kid with a load of toys...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Looks like global warming theory and its various hypotheses, might be on hold for a while.
    Click here to see a discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

BYOB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

slowburner wrote: »
    Looks like global warming theory and its various hypotheses, might be on hold for a while.
    Click here to see a discussion.

Sunspots? As I understand it, those fluctuations have only been demonstrated to affect the surface temperature by 0.1 degree C.

As the climate changes the seasonal weather will also change in Ireland (as with everywhere else). One possible outcomes which could affect the possibility of Ireland as a safe place is the prospect of getting occasional heavy downpours as opposed to lighter more consistent rain, which could lead to more erosion.

Also I thought that some scientist in N. Ireland had come out with a report stating that the island is already losing hundreds of acres per year to the sea. Not sure of the veracity of his study though, this was years ago it came out.

This is all assuming that something that could actually significantly cool the climate (mega/supervolcano, large meteorite, etc.) won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I would say that will bring an end to negative equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Well if global warming happens, the equatorial regions will be worst affected, and people will inevitably move north rather than die of thirst or hunger, to the cooler places where food and water are still available. That means Siberia, Canada, the British Isles, Scandinavia, etc. Yes Ireland will definitely fill up as the decades pass, and in the event of major global warming, we won't be able to hold back the hordes of climate refugees.

On the bright side we might get more of a café culture with the extra sunshine and continental influence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

D.L.R. wrote: »
    . Yes Ireland will definitely fill up as the decades pass, and in the event of major global warming, we won't be able to hold back the hordes of climate refugees.
    Hopefully those hidden Ryanair / Online Booking Charges , will have gone by then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

The new "global warming" flight charge will be based on your body temperature so keep cool! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

dont have links, but i remember seeing maps showing potential summer and winter temperature changes in the next 50+ years, and remember noticing that Poland, (well south Poland, Chech Republic, Slovakia area) would remain generally unaffected, being in the center of a land-mass, not too far north, or south

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement