Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbo loading

Options
  • 07-04-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Ive been running for a small while now longest race ive done is only 15miles, and im trainng for my first marathon following a precise training program and up untill now have deceided to stick to my regular diet cos i know it works, but now im getting into big millege over 35 a week im thinking more and more about carbo loading but cant seem to find any decent advice,
    ive started eating more rice and pasta etc and using the 4:1 drink sachets but how much carbo loading should i be doing for the marathon?

my diet consists of museli brek, a wrapwith chicken etc 4 lunch and a regular dinner, rice two nights a week maybe pasta once a week

Do i really need to load up on much more carbs? i dont wana start putting on weight like, i kinda feel i have a good balance as my weight is staying fairly level altho down a few pounds nothing critical!

am i right in thinking if i maintain my weight thro the build in training milege then im probably keeping the carb balance about right?

Whats the kinda advice on the days before the marathon? slow release carbs like chicken and rice i was thinking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There is a thread about this subject on the main forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223125

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

ah sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

elnino23 wrote: »
    ah sorry

you're grand - that thread's mainly about the last two days.

As to eating differently while training - I imagine the standard healthy eating advice applies - lots of fruit and veg, ideally unrefined carbs, easy on the red meat, fish or chicken for preference...but that's everyone, not just runners. No need to carbo load while training, but you will likely have a healthy appetite, and if you under-fuel yourself you'll feel tired, so you're likely to eat more.

There's lots online about diets for runners, but my personal opinion is that standard healthy eating is probably good enough. I haven't changed my diet any over the last several weeks of training, except for a little more tuna and a little less cheese in my lunchtime sandwich.

Drinking lots of water is also very important, as you can lose a lot while running.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

thats kinda what i had thought thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

brownian wrote: »
    y easy on the red meat processed meat,

FYP. Nothing worng with a good quality steak, pork chop or piece of lamb. It's the frozen burgers, highly processed sausages etc you need to avoid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

menoscemo wrote: »
    FYP. Nothing worng with a good quality steak, pork chop or piece of lamb. It's the frozen burgers, highly processed sausages etc you need to avoid...
    What? they have other meat besides burgers now?

Advertisement