Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Drums

• 07-04-2011 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

I'd like to start teaching drums soon.

I've been playing 5 years now. I'm good at a good few different styles.

I'm studying for Grade 5 of Drumsense now but I only discovered recently I could do them with my drum teacher instead of having to wait for the English instructor to come over and examine me. He only comes about twice a year.

I aim to fly through the grades til Grade 8 as soon as I can. I don't have any qualifications to teach music yet but it's not that important as long as you're a good teacher and player does it? I'd say lots of drummers don't have teaching qualifications or even studied music in college.

I wouldn't teach exams to be honest yet until I had a degree and HDIP or whatever and I would stick to the stuff I know how to teach. I have a good plan in my head about how to teach people from 5 years of weekly lessons.

I know a guy who makes money at the weekends from giving guitar lessons to kids and teenagers. I don't know if he is paying tax on this, is this ok? Kind of like a nixer?

Anyone have any experience of teaching with or without qualifications?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Once you don't overcharge and have a great rapport and attitude you'll be grand.

I'd say put some stuff up on Gumtree or Adverts.ie. Also if you can print out a few flyers to put up in the local shop\supermarket\wherever.

Best of luck with it and fair play! I'm an on-and-off drummer myself who's self taught so I'm sure I'm very sloppy. Have a few dvd's and the like and still need to learn to play to a click track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

chin_grin wrote: »
    Once you don't overcharge and have a great rapport and attitude you'll be grand.

I'd say put some stuff up on Gumtree or Adverts.ie. Also if you can print out a few flyers to put up in the local shop\supermarket\wherever.

Best of luck with it and fair play! I'm an on-and-off drummer myself who's self taught so I'm sure I'm very sloppy. Have a few dvd's and the like and still need to learn to play to a click track!

Cheers!

How would you put across that you don't have qualifications yet but want to come across good at what you do?

I guess the best way would be to gig around the area and make a name for myself first otherwise no one will have a clue who I am! Might aim to teach some over the summer in my house. Busy with the exams in college at the moment.

I'm really grateful for the great teacher I have had. I'd say I'll go to Grade 8 with him then thank him for his support and guidance and go my own way. I think it's really important to get drum lessons. Some are self thought but they need to read the right magazines and watch and listen to the right music to progress. I have good rhythm. One of the most important things I've learnt is to keep your back and posture as straight as possible and relax. It's tempting to whack the hell out of the kit on rock songs but you still can. Just need to let your hands do the talking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

flyswatter wrote: »
    Cheers!

How would you put across that you don't have qualifications yet but want to come across good at what you do?

I guess the best way would be to gig around the area and make a name for myself first otherwise no one will have a clue who I am! Might aim to teach some over the summer in my house. Busy with the exams in college at the moment.

I'm really grateful for the great teacher I have had. I'd say I'll go to Grade 8 with him then thank him for his support and guidance and go my own way. I think it's really important to get drum lessons. Some are self thought but they need to read the right magazines and watch and listen to the right music to progress. I have good rhythm. One of the most important things I've learnt is to keep your back and posture as straight as possible and relax. It's tempting to whack the hell out of the kit on rock songs but you still can. Just need to let your hands do the talking :)

Controlling your breathing too...........so I've heard! Yeah my forté is metal. I'll get there eventually............I hope.

Regards to getting your name out there. I'd set up a Facebook page or youtube channel and get a few (even low quality) vids of you. They only have to be introductory maybe showing off a rudiment or even the basic 4/4 beat.

I'd recommend putting up what you've said in your first post. Be honest and approachable and you'll do grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JimmyMagee53

Speaking of Drumming teachers. You're hardly about Monaghan, Louth, Cavan area as i've been looking for lessons?

Either that or do you know anyone else around that area?

Regards and Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Speaking of Drumming teachers. You're hardly about Monaghan, Louth, Cavan area as i've been looking for lessons?

Either that or do you know anyone else around that area?

Regards and Good luck

I'm actually based in Louth as it happens. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement