Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange engine sound Yamaha Super Tenere xtz 750

• 07-04-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I was advised recently that i have a strange knocking sound from engine out of my recently acquired s10. Below is a link to a video i attached, feel free to gave opinion as to whether there a strange knocking sound.There is a small pin hole in exhaust but i do not think it could cause such a noise ?! Remember these models are noted for strange noises and vibrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuoDdmYNdvs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hopefully just a tappet noise - if so, valve clearances need to be adjusted and a mechanic should be able to do that for the cost of a couple of hours' labour.

This is going to sound silly, but it works. Get the largest screwdriver you can find and shove the end of the handle right up to your earhole. Hold the tip against the bottom, middle and top of the engine case and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from (keep WELL away from any moving parts.) A tappet noise will come from the top end, if one particular valve is at fault you will hear a very obvious difference from various points on the top of the valve cover (flat top of engine case.)

Low-pitched knocking from the bottom of the engine is more likely to be bad news, probably the crankshaft bearings.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Checked out other videos on s10 on the net and they sound similar to mine. www.super-tenere.net seems to agree that it seems ok.Hope to do that screwdriver test in any case.

Advertisement