Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Math

• 07-04-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

I used to be really good at maths (through 5th year and leaving cert in class tests and Christmas/Summer) but I did terribly in my mocks. I didn't study for it but that was because I put effort into other subjects because I though I could do ok in maths with out study.

Anyway, I'm now starting to panic..! I need an A2 in maths for my course. Have I left it too late? We are finished the course so between now and June we will have almost all the exam papers questions done, so that's not a problem.

Grinds maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

You don't necessarily need grinds, you just need to be motivated and PRACTICE. If you are capable, as you claim to be, grinds won't help, as inability to learn isn't your problem, unwillingness to put in the effort is.

Also, what is terribly?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

My advice would be to do the 2001 paper this weekend.Then the 2002 next weekend and so on.Its a nice paper,a nice starting point and will build your confidence.use the marking scheme and look at the solutions to parts of questions ya cant get out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

How bad is terribly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Also, what is terribly?
    Aoifey! wrote: »
    How bad is terribly?

49%.. so not a disaster but still terrible by my usual standards..!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

49%.. so not a disaster but still terrible by my usual standards..!

Thats nothing, i got an E in the mocks and got a C3 in the leaving cert, and i got my course. What course are you going for?

• Advertisement

Overature wrote: »
    Thats nothing, i got an E in the mocks and got a C3 in the leaving cert, and i got my course. What course are you going for?

Maths in Scotland so I have to get a A2 in maths... If I got 5 A1s but a B1 in math I won't get in..! :(

Maths in Scotland so I have to get a A2 in maths... If I got 5 A1s but a B1 in math I won't get in..! :(

Cool, id make sure you have a backup, there are lots of good maths courses around here. but i dont know what you need to get into them

Overature wrote: »
    Cool, id make sure you have a backup, there are lots of good maths courses around here. but i dont know what you need to get into them

Yeah there are plenty of CAO courses I could get in to (and I have on my CAO form) but Scotland is the dream..!

Yeah there are plenty of CAO courses I could get in to (and I have on my CAO form) but Scotland is the dream..!

go for it, make sure you can do all the questions on the papers, there seem to be a set type of questions that come up every year, and once you can do them all your sorted

Is that for the MMath in St. Andrews? I got accepted into that last year, didn't take up my place though, went to Trinity instead, to be closer to home.

• Advertisement

Is that for the MMath in St. Andrews? I got accepted into that last year, didn't take up my place though, went to Trinity instead, to be closer to home.

No Heriot Watts...

No where in Ireland seems right..! Yeah there's courses I like but no university fits like Heriot Watts does!

No Heriot Watts...

No where in Ireland seems right..! Yeah there's courses I like but no university fits like Heriot Watts does!

Oh OK. One thing that you should be aware of re: UK institutions and Mathematics, they will be presuming more prior knowledge than Irish Unis would be, as most of their students will have studied more difficult courses than the Irish LC (eg. A level Further Maths or IB Maths, or the French Baccalauréat, all teach more advanced Maths than Leaving Cert Maths or Applied Maths). This won't be too big a deal, as they aren't very difficult things compared to most of what you'd be doing in first year, but you'll need a little work to catch up. It could easily be done in the summer this year though.

Advertisement