Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any good ai bulls for suckler herd

• 07-04-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭

ive got a shothorn/limo cross herd,bein useing a stock bull,just fell like usein ai on better cows:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

what age are you selling stock at?
    what brea\ds are you interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭butt1

yearlings b/b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Fair questions.
    Further to them I would ask:
    What market are you aiming for?
    Export, Home store, young bulls, finishing bullocks etc
    Are you interested in producing replacement heifers?
    Is there a perceived weakness in your cows? Eg Would you like more size, less size, muscle, etc.
    If you decide what you want from your cows, there surely will be an AI bull to deliver your needs!
    Indeed there is nothing stopping you using a variety of breeds to get what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

cows123 wrote: »
    these are some of our calves

Lovely lumps of cattle. God you must creep them alot of meal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »

was watching a bit of that lambing live again last night, showed some of the farmers cows calving and be scanned..in fairness to him he seemed very well set up, all his own ai, showed 2 big blues being born, one by section form a big muscley cow, her previous calves were born naturally, he said he had 70 cows and i think it was something like 6 or 7 hundred sheep, must be a big old spread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

was watching a bit of that lambing live again last night, showed some of the farmers cows calving and be scanned..in fairness to him he seemed very well set up, all his own ai, showed 2 big blues being born, one by section form a big muscley cow, her previous calves were born naturally, he said he had 70 cows and i think it was something like 6 or 7 hundred sheep, must be a big old spread

yea, i think they said he has 650 ewes. But he has over 200 acres of mountain land which looks rough enough. It showed him feeding his cows on tuesday night's episode - he was bringing silage to them with a quad and trailer - forking it in and forking it out in front of the feed barrier. It would be a tough station if you had to feed 70 cows like this all the time.

reilig wrote: »
    he was bringing silage to them with a quad and trailer

Were you getting ideas? :D

Were you getting ideas? :D

I'm looking for an easier life. Not more hardship ;)

was watching a bit of that lambing live again last night

Feck, didn't see it last night Vander. It's a good programme.

TG4 should do a calving live, but call it 'The beeessst from the Weeessst' :D:D

Show lads where all of Ireland's best beef cattle originate from !! (oooh thems' fightin' words :D:p:D)

• Advertisement

Feck, didn't see it last night Vander. It's a good programme.

TG4 should do a calving live, but call it 'The beeessst from the Weeessst' :D:D

Show lads where all of Ireland's best beef cattle originate from !! (oooh thems' fightin' words :D:p:D)

true for you muckit ;) but instead we get sh1te like feirmfactor or whatever they callit,
    was thinking watching the show on bbc that it was a pity they didnt show more of the cattle side of things, ya i missed that episode reilig but sure enough the place didnt look overly mechanised, what kinda tractor was it? hurlimann maybe. he deffo had a loader and grab on there one night anyway , he probably had the right idea though, cut down expense on big machinery if he can manage without it, seemed to be a big family effort, mother and father involved and wife so i suppose he has a nice bit of help

Alot of these programmes are heavily edited and only tell the story that the show producer wants to protray. In all fairness to them, they are probably a 'townie' and wouldn't know a bulls boll** from a ram's horn.

The simple romantic image is what they want to sell. Reality doesn't really come into it. Do you really think they feed, what, 70? suckler cows silage EVERYDAY with a QUAD??! :o They just give the viewers what they want to watch, the majority probably wouldn't pick up on things like that. They just go away with the notion 'hmm... God that seems like 'fun' feeding those 'cute' little cows' :D

I always laugh too at the Muller light ad, when I see the girl falling into the hay cock left in about a foot of aftergrass and them carting it in with pitch forks in a trailer !!

It's all about the illusion

true for you muckit ;) but instead we get sh1te like feirmfactor or whatever they callit,
    was thinking watching the show on bbc that it was a pity they didnt show more of the cattle side of things, ya i missed that episode reilig but sure enough the place didnt look overly mechanised, what kinda tractor was it? hurlimann maybe. he deffo had a loader and grab on there one night anyway , he probably had the right idea though, cut down expense on big machinery if he can manage without it, seemed to be a big family effort, mother and father involved and wife so i suppose he has a nice bit of help

It was a fairly modern Hurliman - around about 100hp.

Feirm factor is edited tripe which does not realistically portray Irish Agriculture.

I'd like to see more of the cattle side too. The door is wide open for RTE TNAG TV3 or one of the many production companies that we have in this country to do something similar.

Does Anyone watch Feirmeoiri on TG4 at 9.30pm on a sunday night?
    Its quite interesting although they do tend to spend a lot of time with Joe Joyce and his sheepdogs - one half of the episode shows Joe complaining that there's no money in farming, the other half shows him bringing dogs to the vet for travel vaccinations to the USA and Canada. He sells them for €1500 to €2000 each and sells between 30 and 50 per year. It seems that he only keeps the sheep to train the dogs - its more profitable that way :D

reilig wrote: »
    It was a fairly modern Hurliman - around about 100hp.

Feirm factor is edited tripe which does not realistically portray Irish Agriculture.

I'd like to see more of the cattle side too. The door is wide open for RTE TNAG TV3 or one of the many production companies that we have in this country to do something similar.

Does Anyone watch Feirmeoiri on TG4 at 9.30pm on a sunday night?
    Its quite interesting although they do tend to spend a lot of time with Joe Joyce and his sheepdogs - one half of the episode shows Joe complaining that there's no money in farming, the other half shows him bringing dogs to the vet for travel vaccinations to the USA and Canada. He sells them for €1500 to €2000 each and sells between 30 and 50 per year. It seems that he only keeps the sheep to train the dogs - its more profitable that way :D

ya saw a bit of it, liked it. the lad that got talking to biffo at the ploughing is gas, he walks up the the tent and say he is with tg4 and get straight thru..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cows123

Theyre actually pics before they started eating meal.
    Ya shulda seen them afterwards;)
    got no photos though! sorry:mad:

Advertisement