Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel target group buy ??

• 08-04-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

Im toying with the idea of importing Steel targets from the US. Im still waiting on shipping costs but as ill be paying for a pallet anyway I wanted to know if anyone was interested in a group buy ?
    The targets come in with 2 steel types AR 500 (for .22-44magnum pistol cal only) and AR550 (all pistol plus rifle rounds under 3000 fps @ distance greater than 100 yards)However since there is only $20 in the difference I reccomend that the AR550 (you never know when youll want to shoot a rifle at it.
    For those that Dont know AR 500/AR 550 is used as armour plating so you can be sure that you will get a lofe time and more out of your target if you follow the rules (no rifle rounds below 100 yards and no rifle rounds fired at more than 3000 fps)
    Heres the website/targets that I was looking at.....

www.actiontargetbeta.com/store/evilroyline/at-evil-roy-practice-target.html

The targets are on a portable 3 legged stand and can be bought with either a 6",8",10",12" circle or a 8"x12" rectangle.

As you can see from the above link, the targets are $135 (including the extra 20 for the AR 550) thats €94 euro..... if as an estimate shipping was 300 USD for a pallet (im completely guessing on shipping this so i could be completely wrong) and there were 10 targets. Each target would be $165 (€115) per target plus VAT @ 21% (€24.15) giving a total here in Ireland as €140.15 for a pretty much indestructable target..... give or take lol.. until i get the shipping cost this is only an estimate.

For those who want to read up more about how safe steel is to shoot please read ......

www.agarms.com/pdf/steeltargets.pdf

Heres a link a simular targets by action targets ....

Great review buy the guy is annoying to listen to.

Let me know your thoughts. If interested please send me a PM with "Im in" as the heading so i know what numbers and can tot up costs etc

GH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Gunhappy, just before you spend that much, did you check with the range if they're allowed use steel targets over ricochet concerns?
    Just a random thought, I know some ranges use them and others have/had rules against them for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Sparks wrote: »
    Gunhappy, just before you spend that much, did you check with the range if they're allowed use steel targets over ricochet concerns?
    Just a random thought, I know some ranges use them and others have/had rules against them for that reason.

I know of 1 range that doesnt allow them, I dont know of any others but users should check. Besides that tey can be used anywhere where a shooter would normally go to shoot.

The link http://www.agarms.com/pdf/steeltargets.pdf describes what happens on the impact of a round to AR 500/550 steel .....

As for ricocthet concerns it all covered in the above link as well.....

"When a bullet strikes a steel target that is completely stationary at a 90-degree angle, all the bullet's energy goes directly to weakening that point on the steel." Being such hard steel the steel doesnt weaken unless improperly used.

"If the target is completely stationary but is positioned at less than a 90-
    degree angle, a portion of the bullet's energy at impact is deflected rather than absorbed." This is what causes ricocthets.... However ..... Rounds striking a flat surface ricochet in a set pattern (see picture on link, I dont know how to copy and paste it over). Rounds if ricocheting ( those that do it with greatly diminished energy) will do so at a 20 degree angle to the plate so there is no safety concern with rounds coming back toward a shooter.

Ive used steel on many many occasions and never had a problem, sure ive heard rounds wizzing off but thats part of the fun and the clear indication that youve hit.... along with the "bing"

Another good example is the army, there using steel plates with years and if there was a safety concern they wouldnt use it.

watch the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlvBg4qbMqU from 6:30 on, while the guy is so annoying to listen to and the style of shooting he does isnt what we do here, it shows how durable steel targets are.

GH

Still waiting for shipping cost, I got an email from Action targets, for every 5 targets I get ill get 1 target free, obviously the sale of this will contribute to everyone in the group having to pay less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i would be interested.

let me know what the final cost would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I hear the guards won't sign off on a range if it has metal targets on it, its the guidelines they follow.

rowa wrote: »
    I hear the guards won't sign off on a range if it has metal targets on it, its the guidelines they follow.

You heard complletely incorrect :)

Sorry for being quiet on this one but im still waiting for a shipping quote from AT. They did say that they would get several quotes to find the best deal.....

Ive also grabbed the interest of a Club/range here so fingers crossed if it goes through with them it will mean better savings for US.

I also got the AT catalogue in a PDF, its no prices (there on the site) but anyone who showed interest in the group buy, if you wanna PM me your email ill send it on

GH

Bad news/Good news....

I Rang Action Targets again last week to get a shipping quote. I still havent recieved it. :mad:. But to be honest I expected it as AT are a big military and LE contractor. Thats the "bad news"

The good news is that while talking to them, I was given a rough estimate that was considerably less then what I anticipated. There is also more interested than I expected so it will mean further reductions in the long run.

As I type I also think of even better news...

The US dollar is getting weaker all the time, as of this morning its €1=$1.4834

When I started the thread it was about 10 US cent so its another saving for us.

GH

EDIT:

I got an autoreply from AT, 1 of the guys that im dealing with is at the NRA convention till tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

http://www.a-izquierdo.es/-p-27351.html

Cheaper @ €122 and closer for shipping...

Don't know if the would suit anyone...

• Advertisement

http://www.a-izquierdo.es/-p-27351.html

Cheaper @ €122 and closer for shipping...

Don't know if the would suit anyone...

Do you have to log in to view the price ?

Well either way is says nothing about what steel its made from and there a bad design.

While they may be lighter, Evil Roys are foldable, more portable, have 2 height levels for the target to sit on.

While suggestions are in the best intentions, as I have put quiet a bit of work into this group buy (with the bulk still to go) I would ask that members threat group buys as a "for sale" thread and not post up links to other cheaper alternatives.

GH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Clay pigeons are cheaper & safer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Clay pigeons are cheaper & safer :)

clay pigeons are safer than what? i was told they were even more dangerous than real ones and should be shot on sight:p

and how much is a lifetime supply of safe clay pigeons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    and how is a lifetime supply of safe clay pigeons

The trick is in leaving a few to breed each year Poulo ;)

Right,

After a long wait Ive gotten a shipping quote of 500 USD for 10 targets. Shipping is 6-8 weeks ( alternativly if the group are impatient €1200 will cover the pallet air freight :P )

After all the converstions and calculations with vat each target is working out as €152 EURO EACH.

Again the target stands are foldable, have 2 height positions and come with an AR 550 Brinell steel target head of either 6",8",10",12" circle or a 8"x12" rectangle.

I will be placing the order on friday 20/05/2011 for anyone who is interested please PM me for my paypal account/ (postal address for cheques) as I will only be ordering targets for those who have payed a €75 deposit.

Rest of money on payable on collection :)
    GH

To all concerned, Targets were ordered yesterday (friday the 20/05/2011)
    There is a 6-8 week delievery time as its being sent via boat to keep costs down. I have everyones contact details so Ill be in touch.
    GH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Nice to see someone going out and organizing this for everyone.

Congrats, they look like great targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Sparks wrote: »

Are they allowing steel targets at MNSCI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

I know of 1 range that doesnt allow them, I dont know of any others but users should check. Besides that tey can be used anywhere where a shooter would normally go to shoot.

The link http://www.agarms.com/pdf/steeltargets.pdf describes what happens on the impact of a round to AR 500/550 steel .....

As for ricocthet concerns it all covered in the above link as well.....

"When a bullet strikes a steel target that is completely stationary at a 90-degree angle, all the bullet's energy goes directly to weakening that point on the steel." Being such hard steel the steel doesnt weaken unless improperly used.

"If the target is completely stationary but is positioned at less than a 90-
    degree angle, a portion of the bullet's energy at impact is deflected rather than absorbed." This is what causes ricocthets.... However ..... Rounds striking a flat surface ricochet in a set pattern (see picture on link, I dont know how to copy and paste it over). Rounds if ricocheting ( those that do it with greatly diminished energy) will do so at a 20 degree angle to the plate so there is no safety concern with rounds coming back toward a shooter.
    Ive used steel on many many occasions and never had a problem, sure ive heard rounds wizzing off but thats part of the fun and the clear indication that youve hit.... along with the "bing"
    Another good example is the army, there using steel plates with years and if there was a safety concern they wouldnt use it.
    watch the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlvBg4qbMqU from 6:30 on, while the guy is so annoying to listen to and the style of shooting he does isnt what we do here, it shows how durable steel targets are.
    GH

This would have been perfect together with it.

http://www.flashtarget.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

UPDATE: Its been just over a month since the money has been taken out of my account by action targets. Shipping was quoted @ 6-8 weeks so were at least half way there.

Ill keep those interested posted.

GH
    Are they allowing steel targets at MNSCI?

Short answer is currently no.

I have contacted Jim about this where he said they used to use steel. There are plans for the future to return to using steel but at the moment the range is focusing on the Creedmoor competition.

GH

• Advertisement

Good news, Targets are in Ireland (dublin but on there way to warehouse in cork).

I just payed the VAT/related charges to the shipping company via bank transfer so fingers crossed Ill have them Wednesday 20/07/2011

For collection.....

Please contact me and well try arrange a place to meet. Im hoping to make midlands on sunday 24/07/2011 so I could meet guys there on along the road.

Pics to follow :)

GH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

on there way to warehouse in cork

No need for that, send them to my house :D

Looking forward to the pics + field report!

Advertisement