Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daley V Diaz, Strikeforce, April 9th 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Cheers! I haven't seen the results, I'm hoping Askren gets knocked out or something.

Still bummed about the Diaz/Daley fight though, I seriously could have watched another couple of round of that. Hopefully they match them up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭FrankAmazing

WHAT A FIGHT!!!!

REMATCH PLEASE!!!

thought it was an early stoppage tbh, daley fell back whilst throwing nick ?!

anyone else notice daley attempt the head kick on nick when he was on the ground about a minute in!!

what a ****ing fight thouhg, two warriors!!!

fight of the year!

sherdog forums have crashed lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

WHAT A FIGHT!!!!

REMATCH PLEASE!!!

anyone else notice daley attempt the head kick on nick when he was on the ground about a minute in!!

what a ****ing fight thouhg, two warriors!!!

fight of the year!

sherdog forums have crashed lol

I thought stoppage was fair. You watch it again and Daley didn't fall back as such one of his legs gave way almost Rashad esque. Diaz defended himself well i thought from being dropped. He was turtled and defended well before grabbing the rear wrist. Daley on the other hand wasn't defending and got tagged 4/5 times on the ground right infront of ref.

Fighter safety is a must, we don't know in those last 3 seconds if Diaz could have hurt him further even if i would have loved the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

that was some fight

melendez looked class too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Watch the last exchange before Daley falls, Diaz hit him on the chin. The way Daley fell he had no control over his body, not to mention he was on the ground for a while after the fight. Fair stoppage Nick Diaz is a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What a war!
    Diaz did well to defend himself when he got knocked down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

Glad to see Daley well beaten last night. Not cos i dislike him (even tho i do think the guy is a complete tool) but because i think hes far too one dimentional to be regarded as a top flight MMA fighter in the modern MMA game. 5-10 years ago yeah but now, no way.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What about that Mousasi / Jardine decision ?? That point deduction cost Mousasi the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

calex71 wrote: »
    What about that Mousasi / Jardine decision ?? That point deduction cost Mousasi the fight.

True. Mousasi seriously deserved to win that. Absolutely destroyed Jardine the entire fight. Brings the point back up again of why score anything for a takedown when nothing gets done with it.

• Advertisement

Yeah , I'm not a fighter so won't pretend to understand but baffles me why up kicks from the bottom are classed as illegal :confused:

Theyre only illegal to a grounded opponent.Can be done to a standing opponent.
    Illegal to a grounded opponent though cause they can be really dangerous. You can generate a lot of force kicking like that and coming up under the chin of someone that close with that power is asking for trouble.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Why Big John, why? You could have let it go another few seconds.
    Must say I've a lot more respect for Daley after that match. Dropped Diaz twice. wow.

Lol at Jardine getting a draw out of that match.

Ah that makes sense, so Jardine must have had a knee on the canvas. Missed the replay :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Diaz / Daley is fight of the year so far and it will take a hell of a lot to stop it from getting round of the year. Awesome 5 minutes of fighting. We will probably see a rematch in about a year and a half though with both of those on longish contracts with Strikeforce.

Gomi/Diaz fight here if you're looking for more of the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsE5CpUrBdY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

calex71 wrote: »
    Yeah , I'm not a fighter so won't pretend to understand but baffles me why up kicks from the bottom are classed as illegal :confused:

The main reason they are illegal is to prevent soccer kicks to the head of a grounded opponent. That's in the unified rules because it was viewed as barbaric looking and dangerous. And SF are using the unified rules now.

I don't think they were thinking about upkicks to a grounded opponent when they made the rule, its no more dangerous than many perfectly legal strikes. It just came about because of the wording of the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'm very much on par with your view of Daley and fighter akin to Daley. I watch UFC to see guys fight. Yeah Daley was an absolute idiot for giving Kos a slap( it was a childish punch, if Daley wanted to do severe damage like a total scumbag he could have demolished with a real punch)

The way to look at it, all this talk of looking for role models and the instances of MMA talking from their high horses is at times laughable.

Smack talkers, douchebags and fueds for me make fights one million times more entertaining and IMO it really doesn't take away from my appricatiation of the "sporting" part of MMA.

Give me two hotheaded guys with no respect for each other over two guys hugging claiming they are going to get "fight of the night" any day.
    Your big British hero Daley got a good old American ass kicking last night :D

HellsAngel wrote: »

Sherdog -->

HellsAngel wrote: »

Either you're a great troll or just enjoy making ignorant statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Delighted with the result of the main event.

I am also happy to see Jardine survive that fight considering the short notice he had. He should have lost though.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Delighted with the result of the main event.

I am also happy to see Jardine survive that fight considering the short notice he had. He should have lost though.

Well he showed that Mousasi couldn't knock him out. I think Mousasi won too but Jardine had stated he had overtrained in his last few UFC fights. Going by how much punishment he was able to take on a week's notice last night, it would be interesting to see how a rematch would look if he had proper time to prepare. It was actually quite a good fight so I hope they do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

One of the judges had it 29-27 to Mousasi. I just don't see how anyone could have had Jardine losing the first round.

At worst it was a 10-10 round and Mousasi had a point deducted, so it should have been 10-9 to Jardine.

He definitely lost the next two rounds though, so 29-28 to Mousasi when it was all said and done.

Fair play to Jardine for taking the fight on nine days notice and performing as well as he did, but I hope the judges didn't factor that into their decision.

One of the judges had it 29-27 to Mousasi. I just don't see how anyone could have had Jardine losing the first round.

At worst it was a 10-10 round and Mousasi had a point deducted, so it should have been 10-9 to Jardine.

He definitely lost the next two rounds though, so 29-28 to Mousasi when it was all said and done.

Fair play to Jardine for taking the fight on nine days notice and performing as well as he did, but I hope the judges didn't factor that into their decision.

Simple. He got 4 take downs but thats it. Didnt land 1 strike on the ground, didnt advance position once and couldnt hold mousasi down for more then about 20 seconds anytime. Thats under 2 minutes of a 5 minute round. The rest of it involved him getting out struck over and over on his feet. Mousasi outstruck him both standing and on the ground and negated the takedowns by getting back up without much effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

The Jardine fight should not have been a draw.

In general thought it was a good show. In general I find Strikeforce is more entertaining than the UFC. If they could get Bas and someone else as commentators they'd be sorted.

dandana.jpg

These Dana-Strikeforce pictures are hilarious. Imagine someone showed us these in December and told us this was in April.

I would think it's an April fool's joke :pac:

And Dana White said this on twitter about Paul Daley:
    I give him all the respect in the world for that fight. They went to war!

Next we'll see him wearing an M1 t-shirt and taking pictures with Fedor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

True. Mousasi seriously deserved to win that. Absolutely destroyed Jardine the entire fight. Brings the point back up again of why score anything for a takedown when nothing gets done with it.
    Getting a takedown isn't easy, or at least it shouldn't be. I thought that round went to Jardine, he was able to take down Mousasi with ease, you know the judges have a boner for takedowns, defend those ****ers.

Loved the crowd booing Cecil Peoples.

You guys are all missing the REAL news about last night though, the only thing people should be talking about!
    l73ktg-b78675878z120100813083710000gjdpru8f1.jpg

What good is a takedown if you can't do anything with it, not even control your opponent and keep them down.Those takedowns were worthless and tired jardine more then mousasi.No way did he deserve the round more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

dave1982 wrote: »
    Diaz should win this provided he don't think he can exchange with Daly.

Diaz will go for the single leg take Daly down frustrate him for a while and eventually submit him.If he can't get him down well night night Diaz

I hang my head in shame

I said the same about him fighting Robbie Lawler years ago:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

rivalius13 wrote: »
    You guys are all missing the REAL news about last night though, the only thing people should be talking about!
    l73ktg-b78675878z120100813083710000gjdpru8f1.jpg

Agreed. I had to do a doubletake when I saw that dude, I thought Tank Abbot had got his act together and gone into reffing.

Thought Melendez was going to have to cut Kawajiri to the bone to get the fight stopped by Peoples.
    His last reffing stint was a bit of a shambles.

Thought Melendez was going to have to cut Kawajiri to the bone to get the fight stopped by Peoples.
    His last reffing stint was a bit of a shambles.

Thought he did ok there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

only just watched it now

how on earth to you finish nick diaz when he took daleys best
    shots and still came out on top

what a round though
    one of the best rounds ive ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mailburner wrote: »
    only just watched it now

how on earth to you finish nick diaz when he took daleys best
    shots and still came out on top

what a round though
    one of the best rounds ive ever seen
    Link for this?

Pretty happy with my predictions, so so close to 4 out of 4 (1 judge away, not even the wrong guy but a draw)
    Mellor wrote: »
    Has any one seen this availible for betting on
    Most palces only have the other 3 main fights

Also, should we not just make this a thread for the whole event.

Daley once again fights under a Zuffa promotion :eek:

Nick Diaz vs. Paul Daley
    Diaz easilys takes down and wins from the ground

Gilbert Melendez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    Melendez wins this easily

Gegard Mousasi vs. Keith Jardine
    I ahve no idea why Jarine is even here, purely as a token jestrue from zuffa. His final form in the UFC was poor, he didn't impress in the regional circut. Mousasi by TKO

Shinya Aoki vs. Lyle Beerbohm
    Aoki by submission

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Any one else notice the knee raise **** Cecil Peoples does after he says lets get it on? its hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Link for this?

Pretty happy with my predictions, so so close to 4 out of 4 (1 judge away, not even the wrong guy but a draw)

Try telling that to Paddy Power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Link for this?

http://www.fights4all.com/index.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was incredibly impressed by Diaz, I thought it was over when he went down but he willed his way through it.

Also what exactly was Beerbohm thinking clinching with Aoki?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I love when Diaz has a guy on the cage covering up he makes every shot count, no stupid power punches to the guys arm's, just body punches and straight jab through the defense.

I love Diaz's interviews especially the one after this fight. looks like no Diaz V Miller :(

Dont Be Scared Homie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

Melendez is the star here, not Diaz, in my opinion. Very impressive, legimate case for him to be No.1 lightweight in the world.

seadnamac wrote: »
    Melendez is the star here, not Diaz, in my opinion. Very impressive, legimate case for him to be No.1 lightweight in the world.

By dominating Japanese stars that never compete in America or a cage?
    He's a very good lightweight but there's no huge case for him to be #1 . Who has he beaten? Guida (2006), Thomson, Ishida, Aoki and now Kawajiri. To me he's on Guida's level now. Getting a streak together and just off beating a Japanese star. So top 5 imo.
    1, Edgar
    2, Maynard
    3, Melendez
    4, J. Miller
    5, Aoki
    6, Pettis
    7, Alvarez
    8, Siver
    9, Guida
    10, Guillard

Obviously this is just my opinion nothing more than just watching their fights for the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

He's a very good lightweight but there's no huge case for him to be #1 . Who has he beaten? Guida (2006), Thomson, Ishida, Aoki and now Kawajiri. To me he's on Guida's level now. Getting a streak together and just off beating a Japanese star. So top 5 imo.
    1, Edgar
    2, Maynard
    3, Melendez
    4, J. Miller
    5, Aoki
    6, Pettis
    7, Alvarez
    8, Siver
    9, Guida
    10, Guillard

Obviously this is just my opinion nothing more than just watching their fights for the last couple of years.

He's way ahead of Guida in fairness. I would still rank Edgar No.1 but Melendez is definitely up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Has BJ left 155 for good?

If not, he's still easily in the top ten.

• Advertisement

1, Edgar
    2, Maynard
    3, Melendez
    4, J. Miller
    5, Aoki
    6, Pettis
    7, Alvarez
    8, Siver
    9, Guida
    10, Guillard

Pettis only 6th and no nowhere for Ben Henderson? Clay Guida in top 100?
    What about Gomi, his Pride days don't mean anything?

jayteecork wrote: »
    Pettis only 6th and no nowhere for Ben Henderson? Clay Guida in top 100?
    What about Gomi, his Pride days don't mean anything?

Not anymore they don't 1-2 in his last 3 dropping to Kenflo and Guida.

Pretty sure BJ has went up to Welterweight for good but if not he's easily still top 5 imo

With the Guida comment I meant as if there was a merger he'd fight the winner of Guida-Pettis. Which I think would be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

WTF was Daley doing pulling the trigger on that kick after 38seconds, if it had connected Diaz would no doubt have been out cold and Daley DSQ'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Awesome main event!
    Nick could have quite easily dominated Daly on the ground but being the crazy fu€ker he is he decided to trade blows. Daly has serious power in his hands & it nearly won him the fight but Nick is a warrior.
    I don't think it was an early stoppage & believe big john made the correct decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Try telling that to Paddy Power.

Check your slip.
    If a fight is a draw, its not a lsoing bet.
    you don't ahve the option to pick a draw in fights, so its settled as if they both won and dead heat rule applied.
    You are owed money if you bet on that. Check the UFC 127 thread, I brought this up after Penn BJ also

• Advertisement
Advertisement