Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Options
  • 08-04-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Anyone got a recipe for a good chocolate biscuit cake?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I used this one and it turned out great

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerrz

This is a recipe I picked up when I was working in a cafe as a teenager and it was the most popular cake we sold!
    Its gorgeous and so addictive, once you start eating you can't stop !

500g plain chocolate
    3/4 packet of rich tea biscuits
    227g real butter
    1 tin of condensed milk

Melt the choc and butter in the microwave stirring and checking until melted. Add the condensed milk and mix well.
    Break up the biscuits into bite sized pieces and stir in well.
    Pour into a large cling-film/baking parchment lined tin.
    Place in fridge for 3 hours until set.
    Then EAT !!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rigardo

I'm looking forward to trying a new recipe. Any time I've made Chocolate Biscuit Cake the butter seems to congeal unevanly around the edges and on top. It tastes fine but it can be pretty off putting to look at.

Anyone know why this might happen? Maybe it's not mixed well enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Overheating the chocolate and butter perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

+ one for Zaphs suggestion. I like the sound of your recipe Kerrz does it cut well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ULgirl2010

Hi everyone,

Thinking of making chocolate biscuit cake at the weekend just for the hell of it :D

Just wondering, is it cooking chocolate or a good quality eating chocolate that i should use?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Good quality chocolate is the best thing to use, not cooking chocolate and not the likes of Cadbury's, Lidl and Aldi have great ranges of milk chocolate and dark chocolate with higher percentage of cocoa solids. I mix Lidl Milk Chocolate and Lidl 74% chocolate in equal quantities and everybody loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I second the point about ingredients being key.

My wife makes great Choc Bisc Cake, lots of people say its the best. She uses Bournville chocolate, Digestive biscuits, butter and condensed milk.

I'll check her recipe etc & if its different to the one posted above I will post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

+1 for Zaph's suggestion too. Made it for the first time on Sunday and it's yummy....if I may say so myself! Made two half-egg shaped ones for my parents for Easter and covered them with chocolate ganache, they seem to have gone down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Can I ask what people would suggest instead of Golden Syrup (that's in the odlums recipe) but in general what could you substitute for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

The Golden syrup is included to stop the cake setting like a brick and to cut well. It doesn't add much to the taste as the chocolate + butter quantities are way more than the golden syrup. You can get something called glucose syrup which is a very syrupy clear liquid but is much more expensive than golden syrup. I imagine some sort of syrupy caramel would work well either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

The condensed milk does the same thing, stops it setting rock hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

kerrz wrote: »
    This is a recipe I picked up when I was working in a cafe as a teenager and it was the most popular cake we sold!

500g plain chocolate
    227g real butter
    1 tin of condensed milk

Melt the choc and butter in the microwave stirring and checking until melted. Add the condensed milk and mix well.
    Then EAT !!
    just made this... its in the freezer as we reckon it will be ready for eating sooner !! looks delicious

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I add some chopped maltesers and some mini marshmallows too. I use ordinary cooking choc,but also add some galaxy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I add some chopped maltesers and some mini marshmallows too. I use ordinary cooking choc,but also add some galaxy too.

How did it taste? I can't imagine using cooking chocolate for it. And forgive me if I'm wrong on this but why would you add chopped maltesers? Isn't the whole point of them in CBC that you see the round shapes when you cut through whole ones in the cake?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I halve the maltesers. Cooking choc like scotshoc is good. I don't use high cocoa chocolates.It's a big hit with all of our friends/relations, I get special requests for various gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

kerrz wrote: »

500g plain chocolate
    227g real butter
    1 tin of condensed milk

Then EAT !!

made this one .. we like it but didnt love it . The condensed milk made the biscuits quite soft and the whole mixture was a bit sticky. All depends on your tastes I suppose but we prefer the biscuits crunchy. I have since found a recipe which I ll try next time. No condensed milk just choc , biscuits, marg, and an egg to bind it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Daithi O'Se's recipe from the Restaurant last year is a nice twist on this!

see:
    http://www.rte.ie/food/2010/0413/baileyschocolatebiscuitsundae.html

yummmm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 faceache

I use Daithi's recipe but feel there is something wrong with the instructions, to me it makes no sense to add the melted butter to the biscuits. You only get soggy biscuits so I add it to the melted chocolate. I also only use half a tin of condensed milk as I find the whole tin makes the cake actually too soft and very sticky and messy to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

I finally found the recipe my mother used :D:D:D. which was the recipe my Dad's mother used. I knew her ingredients were cocoa, butter, golden syrup and morning coffee biscuits and knew she never used melted chocolate and condensed milk, I just didn't know the quantities of the ingredients I did remember.

Biscuit cake from Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
    • 400g unsalted butter
    • 200ml golden syrup
    • 100g cocoa powder
    • 800g digestive biscuits, broken into small chunks

I used 600g of Rich Tea biscuits. Put first three ingredients in a pot and heat over medium heat until butter melts - stirring occasionally. Break up biscuits and mix well together. I used a bread wrapper (ie the waxed paper ala Brennan's bread) to empty the ingredients onto and then form into a log, leave until cool and then put in a fridge overnight. You need a good breadknife to cut through it but it does cut well.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement