Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Use A Little Help Please!!

• 08-04-2011 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey everyone!

Is there any chance at all that some of you could maybe help my band out? We're from Cork and pretty new on the scene, and we're finding it hard to get gigs because we don't have enough "likes" on facebook. Stupid, I know, but I promise we're not awful! If anyone gets a chance could you please maybe pop onto our page and maybe like it if you feel like helping us out? I really appreciate it. Thank you for reading this! You can find us at

www.facebook.com/boyversusromeo

P.S. I really do appreciate it so much!! Thanks again!!

Killian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

we're finding it hard to get gigs because we don't have enough "likes" on facebook.
    I strongly doubt that Facebook likes are the reason you're finding it hard to get gigs. I will check out the link later though. I'm in work right now and have no speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Malice wrote: »
    I strongly doubt that Facebook likes are the reason you're finding it hard to get gigs. I will check out the link later though. I'm in work right now and have no speakers.

You'd be surprised. Facebook likes are the new myspace plays. I know it's sad, but for support gigs, or even headline gigs, you bringing a crowd is a what the booker wants. If you've got 2000 fans on facebook, then 2000 people that like your band are going to hear about that gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 KillianDoyle

You'd be surprised. Facebook likes are the new myspace plays. I know it's sad, but for support gigs, or even headline gigs, you bringing a crowd is a what the booker wants. If you've got 2000 fans on facebook, then 2000 people that like your band are going to hear about that gig.

It's true, thanks for that Lou! Honestly though, we're not that bad, but there is no scene at all in Cork, we're trying to get into the Dublin scene but are being overlooked because of the lack of likes. Our new EP is being released this week, which should hopefully see an increase anyway, but we'd always take any help we could get.

Also, I'm aware that song on our page at the moment isn't great quality or anything, but I promise the EP that's going up later this week is gonna be lightyears better!

Thanks again for the support, it really means a lot!

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Can't argue with the expert :).

Fair enough. Can't argue with the expert :).

Sarcasm?

• Advertisement

Sarcasm?
    No, not at all. I realise it can be difficult to interpret the tone of what someone writes but I was absolutely not trying to be sarcastic. I've seen your band live a couple of times and you seem to be working quite hard to make it a success. I wish I was half as dedicated!

No, not at all. I realise it can be difficult to interpret the tone of what someone writes but I was absolutely not trying to be sarcastic. I've seen your band live a couple of times and you seem to be working quite hard to make it a success. I wish I was half as dedicated!

Oh, well thanks. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I'm in the middle of booking support bands, and it sucks when the bands you like are the ones with about a 200 likes. It just looks like they don't have a following.

cdbaby.com have some really good resources if you're looking for advice on how to promote your bands too!

cdbaby.com have some really good resources if you're looking for advice on how to promote your bands too!

oh really? that'd be awesome, hit me up! like i said, we'll take any help we can get! what's the name of your band btw? =]

It's just http://www.cdbaby.com/ You get a couple of pdf downloads when you sign up. There's a really good one on how to get your songs on the radio, making a press kit etc...

My bands called V.A.G. (Very Angry Girls)

Here's some linkage to our new single :)

hahahaha nice name!!
    consider yourself "liked". that site is awesome, thanks so much for the help! :):)

rad single btw! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Oh, well thanks. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I'm in the middle of booking support bands, and it sucks when the bands you like are the ones with about a 200 likes. It just looks like they don't have a following.

You cannot - and should not - mistake facebook 'friends' (or myspace ones for that matter) as people who will actually turn up to a gig or indeed buy anything. The important thing is what the band sounds like, not how many internet friends they have.

maccored wrote: »
    You cannot - and should not - mistake facebook 'friends' (or myspace ones for that matter) as people who will actually turn up to a gig or indeed buy anything. The important thing is what the band sounds like, not how many internet friends they have.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. It's just a fact that it is taken into consideration. The OP was saying he found it hard to get booked because the only thing the bookers have to look at is the online profiles and some recordings. Personally I'd go on a mixture of things, how often and where the band have been playing (not applicable for the OP because he's a brand new band), how active their facebook page is, live/studio recordings, live videos... I would need to get some indication that this band is not only good on their recordings but more important for a booker (unless it's for a venue with a guaranteed crowd) is that these guys have some sort of a following. And like the OP said, it can be hard as an unestablished band, because like it or lump it, the internet/recordings is all the venue/booker has to go by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I'd say its a very shallow and inexperienced booker that goes by internet friends and 'likes'. If the only thing a band has is a facebook page, and no other kind of rep at all, it's usually a good idea to have a listen and decide for oneself.

maccored wrote: »
    I'd say its a very shallow and inexperienced booker that goes by internet friends and 'likes'. If the only thing a band has is a facebook page, and no other kind of rep at all, it's usually a good idea to have a listen and decide for oneself.

Of course you have to like the band. For example I am currently booking support for my bands. Of course you have to like the band, but you can't deny that whether it's a headline or support act, you need them to bring a crowd. Nobody is going to base a decision entirely on one thing. But as the op said, his problem was that his online profiles were holding him back as it gave off a bad impression, which it does.

Like I said, it's not nice that you need to have good promo about your band. In an ideal world you could be a really amazing band and send off demos and book gigs. But if you're that good then people will have looked you up online and your profile will reflect this. We're not in the era where you listen to a cd and book a band, you look up what you can about them, reviews, cd's, their facebook. You are underestimating what an influential part of a bands promotion that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

Diairist wrote: »

An Brog is a great venue! Here's a list of Cork venues I've played in the last year or two in order of preference

An Brog - (Great crowd, great night out after)
    Fred Zeppelins - (Bit sceney, bit metal/punk but nice crowd to play to)
    Cruiscin Lan - (They only open during certain nights, so be careful they're not just opening for you or you'll have to bring the entire crowd. But we had fun there.)
    Pavillion - (Just didn't like the venue that much. Not my cup of tea is all. But probably good for some bands)

We're playing the quad soon too, it's supposed to be a nice venue so looking forward to that!

An Brog is a great venue! Here's a list of Cork venues I've played in the last year or two in order of preference

An Brog - (Great crowd, great night out after)
    Fred Zeppelins - (Bit sceney, bit metal/punk but nice crowd to play to)
    Cruiscin Lan - (They only open during certain nights, so be careful they're not just opening for you or you'll have to bring the entire crowd. But we had fun there.)
    Pavillion - (Just didn't like the venue that much. Not my cup of tea is all. But probably good for some bands)

We're playing the quad soon too, it's supposed to be a nice venue so looking forward to that!
    The Quad was definitely my favourite venue when I lived in Cork. Freds could be very hit and miss depending on the crowd.

The Quad was definitely my favourite venue when I lived in Cork. Freds could be very hit and miss depending on the crowd.

Yea I understand what you mean about Freds. We were lucky to get a nice crowd the couple of times we played there, but I can understand how it might be hit and miss.

Of course you have to like the band. For example I am currently booking support for my bands. Of course you have to like the band, but you can't deny that whether it's a headline or support act, you need them to bring a crowd. Nobody is going to base a decision entirely on one thing. But as the op said, his problem was that his online profiles were holding him back as it gave off a bad impression, which it does.

Like I said, it's not nice that you need to have good promo about your band. In an ideal world you could be a really amazing band and send off demos and book gigs. But if you're that good then people will have looked you up online and your profile will reflect this. We're not in the era where you listen to a cd and book a band, you look up what you can about them, reviews, cd's, their facebook. You are underestimating what an influential part of a bands promotion that is.

Listen to her, she knows her stuff! ^^ Plus, with the country in the position that it's in, a lot of bands are giving their music away for free, to download online. So online rep is pretty important these days.

We finally got our EP released by the way, so if anyone feels like checking it out, or downloading, or even giving us some feedback, you can find it at

www.facebook.com/boyversusromeo

or

www.soundcloud.com/boy-versus-romeo

Tell your friends! ^^
    Thanks again for all the tips and support, I really appreciate it! :)

Also, Cyprus Avenue is a great spot! We're playing there with Jody Has A Hitlist and a few more bands this Sunday. It's looking like it's gonna get busy! ^^ I think they're stopping under 18's gigs soon though, so an cruscín lán is the new spot.

Anyway, if you're looking for a local band for the quad gig or anything, hit me up! :) We sold over 40 tickets for this JHAH gig so things are looking up! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement