Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

troubleshooting asus motherboard, tried everything

Options
  • 08-04-2011 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard from a PC I built in 2005 and about 8 months ago it began to knock off frequency during a high demanding game. It began more and more frequent until one day it just didn't post anymore. I suspected that I either burned out the processor, PSU was sending wrong voltages, or that it was a problem with memory.

Processor was an AMD Athlon x2 2GHZ, over-clocked to 2.2. Whether I leave it in or take it out, it still didn't post and I've checked that it is sitting correctly.

I had bought new memory and new PSU for a newer system, and used these on the MB, but still no luck.

I had 2MB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1024MB installed. I was playing COD Black Ops, on the lowest of graphics. I also know that COD has also the same effect on a completely different system, but the owner had the cop on to stop playing it :p

I have a different system now, but I would like to get this MB up and running as I feel it is a waste not to last a bit longer, and I can build a different system for basic computing.

I know I haven't covered everything you might need, so please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shasty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it would frankly be foolhardy to try and recycle the motherboard in a new build. A faulty board has the potential to do untold amounts of damage to anything else in the system. it would be as bad as using a faulty PSU. The motherboard is in control of voltages and bus speeds, if it's not doing that correctly, you can short something. Usually something expensive.

To get 6 years out of any piece of Hardware is great. You should be glad it worked out so long, but Overclocking it isn't [typically] covered under the warranty and for good reason: it puts strains on the system that it is not designed to tolerate indefinitely.

If you can't get it working, and it lived for 6 years, let it go to hardware heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

This seems to be a common problem with A8N-32 SLI motherboards - including mine. It started for me about three years ago and got progressively worse, especially in the last six months.

My motherboard only rarely makes it into Windows these days; it usually knocks off before then. Worse still, it then won't power up properly and takes many attempts before it'll start up again.

So don't try and salvage the motherboard, or get a new A8N because you don't know if it'll work or not.

What you could do for the RAM and processor is buy one of the ASRock Socket 939 motherboards and use it as a basic computer. Maybe for a server, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shasty

i wouldnt be buying new parts or anything like that, I just want to put my older parts to good use. I think i'll just have to let it go :(. I'm sick of trying it anyways. It was a good board while it lasted, thats why I thought it'd be great to get it working again.

@Odaise Gaelach I was looking for a socket 939 for a while and I couldnt one, I think i'll do that. Thanks for your help, both of ye

Glad I can lay it to rest haha

Advertisement