Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to get a dog

• 08-04-2011 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 29 dotz

i want to get a dog but i dont want to be paying money for one when there is loads in rescue shelters. i would like a young pup. labrador or something along those lines. does anyone know where i should start looking. im in the limerick city area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

You should have a lot of choice if you are looking for a lab or lab x. For some reason there seems to be a lot of labs coming through Tralee pound at the moment.

There are two on their site at the moment - not pups but still young dogs.
    The link is below.
    http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/environment/dogpound/dogsforre-homing
    Try also Limerick Animal welfare, homeward bound (based in Shannon and on face book). Also look at www.irishanimals.ie another possibility is Animal Heaven, Animal Rescue in Killarney (also on Facebook).

Good luck with your search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

How about Limerick Animal Welfare.
    Just make sure you know what your getting into (if you haven't had a dog/pup before) and remember humans don't instinctually know how to deal with dogs so don't forget to get the "instruction manual" ie: buy a book about dogs. :D
    Good luck and nice one going for a rescue, a credit to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

without starting a new thread, I too am also lookin to get a rescue dog, preferably 1yr old max, from a rescue shelter.

I don't have lot of money and I've checked the local pound (in Dublin) and it says it's €135 AND costs of worming, chipping and whatever else needs doing. the €135 is do-able but the rest is not.

as said, I'm in Dublin...can anyone give me some tips?

bc dub wrote: »
    without starting a new thread, I too am also lookin to get a rescue dog, preferably 1yr old max, from a rescue shelter.

I don't have lot of money and I've checked the local pound (in Dublin) and it says it's €135 AND costs of worming, chipping and whatever else needs doing. the €135 is do-able but the rest is not.

I don't mean to be mean but if you can't afford the dog, don't get one. They need to be fed and wormed and given shots etc and there is a lot of care required on an ongoing basis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

I noticed a lot of "free to good home" dogs and pups on done deal recently, they’ll probably end up in a pound anyway as the majority of the owners (of the dogs) are leaving the country for work. The pound can be traumatic for some dogs and I personally would prefer to get them before there surrendered. Just type in "free" into the search function of the dog section and sort by price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

Hi

I dont know if you would be interested
    I adopted a lab cross puppy 3 days ago from Moate dog rescue in Westmeath and she has 7 more looking for homes
    They are 11 weeks old and has all the boosters.

Here is there website but the photos of the puppies are on facebook if you have access to it

http://www.moatedogrescue.ie/
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1422011210&aid=2120076#!/pages/Moate-Dog-Rescue/166680506675690

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Did anyone else read the title of this thread as "Looking to eat a dog"???

Did anyone else read the title of this thread as "Looking to eat a dog"???

i think you should reread it

bc dub wrote: »

Hi
    you should have a look at moate dog rescue in westmeath they adoption fee is cheap and the dogs come with all boosters

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

cheers all...

I can afford a dog, don't get me wrong, i just can't afford the initial lump sum at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

BC - Most of the Dublin rescues will rehome a dog that is chipped, neutered, fully vaccinated, wormed, deflead for between €80 - €150. That's not bad value when you consider the cost of all these things together.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/general/index.html Check out the Dublin shelters there.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.ie/
    ^^ go onto rehoming>dogs for rehoming, scroll down the page and there are two beautiful lab cross pups looking for homes, Molly and Mildred.
    Limerick Animal Welfare is a great rescue to support, they do so much work for the animals! Good luck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Except we don't give them away free... €120 donation covers everything - worming, flea treatment, all vaccinations including kennel cough and neutering. (The neutering alone costs us €100 so you're really getting a bargain!)

We do insist on a fully enclosed garden, to keep the dog safe. :)

Advertisement