Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basketball coaching

Options
  • 08-04-2011 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

i run a local football club for the last few years and in time want to introduce other sports like a multi sport club type thing one of the sports is basketball (obviously why im on this thread) so basically im just wondering as far as coaching is concerned does the average coach get paid or would it be a volunteer type thing as in the football?? btw we are mainly targeting kids but possibly an adults team also.... any help???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

TBH i dont know but if someone wants to get paid to coach kids they deserve a good kick!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Vinnie K wrote: »
    TBH i dont know but if someone wants to get paid to coach kids they deserve a good kick!! :)

your probably right but the reason im asking is that my own son was going to basketball for a year or two just outside the area and they had classes on all day with the same coach doing all of them from what i could see, talking to the coach he told me he played pro in various countries. and i thought it would be a hard push to find someone coaching all day voluntarily especially a former pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hey OP,

I used to coach when I was in school and a little while afterwards. Never heard of anyone getting paid for it when coaching kids and we used to coach alot.

If its basic skills its really not too hard to get the coaching down, its when you get into proper plays that its get confusing for the kids :)

To be honest, if you understand the rules of the game and already have experience coaching in other sports, there's no reason you couldn't look after it yourself? at least in the beginning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

your probably right but the reason im asking is that my own son was going to basketball for a year or two just outside the area and they had classes on all day with the same coach doing all of them from what i could see, talking to the coach he told me he played pro in various countries. and i thought it would be a hard push to find someone coaching all day voluntarily especially a former pro.

That sounds like a different story alright!

What age are the kids? If there fairly young it wouldnt be too hard to coach them, like Red was saying once you know the rules etc.. You can get some good coaching tips for kids on sites like www.ihoops.com

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hey OP,

I used to coach when I was in school and a little while afterwards. Never heard of anyone getting paid for it when coaching kids and we used to coach alot.

If its basic skills its really not too hard to get the coaching down, its when you get into proper plays that its get confusing for the kids :)

To be honest, if you understand the rules of the game and already have experience coaching in other sports, there's no reason you couldn't look after it yourself? at least in the beginning?

tbh i dont think i would be too well up on the ins and outs of the rules id probably know the basics but that'd be it. my goal as i said is to bring other sports under our club umbrella to give the kids etc options i.e not all kids are into or are good at football and sometimes they just give up sports. you wouldnt believe some of the older kids that come down after being inactive for years and are a great talent. and also i dont think i would have the time to do the coaching myself i was coaching some of the teams in the club over the last few years but found i couldnt run the club the way i wanted while doing so. so this year i stopped and oversaw everything that was going on and it ran much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I coach kids under 8's and under 10's and never wanted or got a penny.. Its all for the kids. Any fees collected from the kids goes straight to gym fees and the likes.

Stab*City wrote: »
    I coach kids under 8's and under 10's and never wanted or got a penny.. Its all for the kids. Any fees collected from the kids goes straight to gym fees and the likes.

thats good to hear, i always assumed it was similar to the football where its all voluntary (up to a certain level anyway). but as i said seeing a former pro there for the whole day coaching the kids for hours got me thinking the opposite. the club in question is a well known club in basketball terms so maybe that might have a bearing on it?

the other question i suppose is where to find reliable coaches:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

thats good to hear, i always assumed it was similar to the football where its all voluntary (up to a certain level anyway). but as i said seeing a former pro there for the whole day coaching the kids for hours got me thinking the opposite. the club in question is a well known club in basketball terms so maybe that might have a bearing on it?

the other question i suppose is where to find reliable coaches:confused:

Maybe he was having a one day basketball camp or something if he was getting paid. I know kids pay fees for camps alright.. a whole day of intensive training/practise.. as for coaches just shame the local mens team into helping out!! lol if it more serious coaches your after im sure there are some x ballers in your area..

Stab*City wrote: »
    Maybe he was having a one day basketball camp or something if he was getting paid. I know kids pay fees for camps alright.. a whole day of intensive training/practise.. as for coaches just shame the local mens team into helping out!! lol if it more serious coaches your after im sure there are some x ballers in your area..

no this guy was there every week my son signed up for a term at a time type thing, there was another guy/coach running the show and this coach. it cost 80 or 90 euro i think for a term. this was 45 mins every fri. they also ran those camps aswell which cost another few bob. i dont think they would help out as they might possibly see it as a competitor or even a threat to their income.

Advertisement