Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with landscaping company

Options
  • 07-04-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

:mad: Landscaping company not coming back to finish job. All paid for (half cheque/ half cash) last November. Said at the time they would not recommend putting bark down before winter/ Oil tank cover was not available yet... would come back in Spring to finish up. Still waiting. Are not answering/ returning calls. Allowed to give name of company to see if anybody out there had same problem with them????:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

magspar wrote: »
    :mad: Landscaping company not coming back to finish job. All paid for (half cheque/ half cash) last November. Said at the time they would not recommend putting bark down before winter/ Oil tank cover was not available yet... would come back in Spring to finish up. Still waiting. Are not answering/ returning calls. Allowed to give name of company to see if anybody out there had same problem with them????:(

Sorry for sayng this,but you shouldnt have paid all the money to them when the job was still being done.

Maximum of 50% payment of money,the other 50% payed when job is 100% complate and to your satisfaction and as per agreeed with landscaper.

If landscaper wont accept this method,then tell/him her that you will get someone else to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 magspar

Thanks... Have been told that 1 million times already ! The thing is they did about 4 houses' gardens in the street. Were in the neighbourhood for about 7 weeks! Trusted them. Had asked around bfor I employed them.Had good name.(not anymore with me...). Went round to neighbours today to see if they were happy with company; turned out not 100% satisfied (all had some grievances) + THEY ALL paid by cash!!! Am the only one who gave a cheque. So at least I have proof they did work in my garden.Went onto CRO website to check out company. 3 different companies/ trading name in fact... difficult to know WHO I employed. What else can I do? Have address of company. Will I go with solicitor's letter?

Thanks... Have been told that 1 million times already ! The thing is they did about 4 houses' gardens in the street. Were in the neighbourhood for about 7 weeks! Trusted them. Had asked around bfor I employed them.Had good name.(not anymore with me...). Went round to neighbours today to see if they were happy with company; turned out not 100% satisfied (all had some grievances) + THEY ALL paid by cash!!! Am the only one who gave a cheque. So at least I have proof they did work in my garden.Went onto CRO website to check out company. 3 different companies/ trading name in fact... difficult to know WHO I employed. What else can I do? Have address of company. Will I go with solicitor's letter?

You were told a million times,so why did you go ahead and do it though??

You dont trust Anyone.

Regardless of how many gardens they did in your street.

This also does not make it ok to hand all the money over upfront.

Business should be condcuted in a propper and professional manner,regardless of whether you know or trust them or not.

Call to see them in their office and discuss the matter with them.make up a snag last of work not done and bring it with you.

If you cant get to meet them in person,then Write a letter to them,give them 14 working days notice to reply to you(as per usual with any legal matters)

Keep copy of letter and then go to the small claims court (if amount is below 2000 euro) and take a case against them through the small claims court.

If the amount is above 2000 euro then go and get legal advice/solicitior

Call FLAC (Free Legal Advice Centere) and they will assist you or put you in the right direction,if you have financial issues and still want legal advice with regards this matter..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

CASH Payments = Black economy = no recourse to legal challenge.

Small Claims = Consumer (not business) complaints

Cash Payments = no proof of contract = sue who?

Hire a solicitor = waste more money chasing a phantom.

Lessons learned = happens all the time.

CASH Payments = Black economy = no recourse to legal challenge.

Small Claims = Consumer (not business) complaints

Wrong Sonnenblumen.

Magspar is the "customer" and therefore has the right and every right to make a claim in the small claims court,against the person or company/service provider who sold the product and/or provided the service,once the value/amout does not exceed 2000 euro.

This includes paying for a product that was faulty OR a sevice,that was not provided or done to the customers satisfaction or done to full completion.

Cheque stub from the bank and copy of the cheque and its encashment from the bank,is proof of payment and acceptable as a reciept/proof of payment for the small claims court

Ive been there,done it,and got the T-Shirt (twice now successfully)

Sonnenblumen-Get your facts right and get the consumer rights correct too,in future.

• Advertisement

Oh and take pictures of the unfinished work and any shoddy work/workmanship too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MOD: magspar, I've moved your posts into a seperate thread as they are dragging the other thread off-topic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy147 wrote: »
    You were told a million times,so why did you go ahead and do it though??
    i assume she meant she's been told that a million times since it happened.

Wrong Sonnenblumen.

Magspar is the "customer" and therefore has the right and every right to make a claim in the small claims court,against the person or company/service provider who sold the product and/or provided the service,once the value/amout does not exceed 2000 euro.

This includes paying for a product that was faulty OR a sevice,that was not provided or done to the customers satisfaction or done to full completion.

Cheque stub from the bank and copy of the cheque and its encashment from the bank,is proof of payment and acceptable as a reciept/proof of payment for the small claims court

Ive been there,done it,and got the T-Shirt (twice now successfully)

Sonnenblumen-Get your facts right and get the consumer rights correct too,in future.

I'd recommend more garden time to improve attitude.:eek:

First of all, my post referred to any person paying for any service in cash in circumstances where there is unlikely to be any record. Of course any disatisfied customer has the right of recourse to Small Claims court. I wouldn't be going there if I paid cash or cheque made out to cash (usually to avoid paying any tax etc)!!

Besides € 2k is a low limit and reflects the typical claim ie faulty goods. I'm glad to see the court's remit is being extended to services and businesses.

The best advice to anyone is to deal with compliant and professional companies who will offer not only a quality service but a full record from quote to completion. People think they're saving money with dodgy cash deals and the inevitable risk of disappointment is greater. Door to door selling thrives during downturns and some people are soft and easy targets.

I'd recommend more garden time to improve attitude.:eek:

First of all, my post referred to any person paying for any service in cash in circumstances where there is unlikely to be any record. Of course any disatisfied customer has the right of recourse to Small Claims court. I wouldn't be going there if I paid cash or cheque made out to cash (usually to avoid paying any tax etc)!!

Besides € 2k is a low limit and reflects the typical claim ie faulty goods. I'm glad to see the court's remit is being extended to services and businesses.

The best advice to anyone is to deal with compliant and professional companies who will offer not only a quality service but a full record from quote to completion. People think they're saving money with dodgy cash deals and the inevitable risk of disappointment is greater. Door to door selling thrives during downturns and some people are soft and easy targets.

I reccomend that you GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT 1st before sprouting out useless information and telling a person that she or he has no chance of reclaim.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks for all replies:) and interest shown. That's great. But I didn't mean to get people arguing...:confused:.
    • Yes I've been told a million times SINCE it happened; if I had known, I wouldn't have trusted the guy.
    • The neighbours got work done in their own garden AFTER me.
    • I do have photographs of the work being done with one of the workers on it.Proof that company was there.Took more photographs today of what still needs to be done.
    • Not sure Small Claims would work but I'll look into it if needs be
    • We have a solicitor's letter ready
    Now since yesterday, I finally got "the boss" to ring me back as I "threatened" him that I would spread the word that his company/ companies...??? quoted names + numbers (checked the CRO and he seems to be involved in several businesses) was not honouring contracts. Didn't go down well...
    Supposed to come round next week. He wanted me to leave side entrance open.....to which I of course said NO. So hopefully... fingers crossed... and so on. Will keep everyone posted! Tx

I reccomend that you GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT 1st before sprouting out useless information and telling a person that she or he has no chance of reclaim.:rolleyes:

ARF ARF ARF ARF:eek:

ARF ARF ARF ARF:eek:

You can post :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: all you want.

Dont feed people false and total bullsh!t information when you clearly have no clue yourself.You seem to think you know it all,when you quite clearly DONT.

Have a good night now.

Garden company came round this morning:D!Still can't believe it... Just a 2 hour job.... Pestered them with text messages and phone calls last week; that must have done the trick.One thing is for sure, will NEVER EVER give full amount again before I have inspected thoroughly what was supposed to be done.

Garden company came round this morning:D!Still can't believe it... Just a 2 hour job.... Pestered them with text messages and phone calls last week; that must have done the trick.One thing is for sure, will NEVER EVER give full amount again before I have inspected thoroughly what was supposed to be done.

Great news,fair play to you for persevering and pestering them and getting a good end result.:)

Advertisement