Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Park, Newcastle

Options
  • 07-04-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, anybody can advise how is it living in Corrib Park, I just need some update? All the opinions are quite mixed, somebody said its like Knocknacarra but closer to town, is it really? We just planning to move there with kids, thanks all!

<snipped from an old thread, biko>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Nothing wrong with Corrib Pk really, everywhere has it's bad apples, but its fine, close to the Town and Hospital too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Grew up just behind Dunnes Stores and I can guarantee you that Corrib Park is fine............There are some dodgy estates up in the Westside area but the older council estates (Gaelcarrig, Corrib, Coogan) are sound!!!

Of course, ya get some scobies wandering around in their trackies and their jog pants tucked up into their socks but don't let them bother ya, you'll find them in most places, most of 'em are harmless :D

If you want a quiet place to live you will have no problems there, you'd be worse off living up in Cherry or Hazel Park with the amount of students living up there in fairness...........

Hi, anybody can advise how is it living in Corrib Park, I just need some update? All the opinions are quite mixed, somebody said its like Knocknacarra but closer to town, is it really? We just planning to move there with kids, thanks all!

Put it this way Laura, I have 4 kids myself and like I said I grew up in Gaelcarrig Park, my parents who are in their 70's still live up there. I would live in Corrib Park tomorrow in a heartbeat before I would move to Knocknacarra. The only reason being is that Corrib Park is closer and is a sound place to live.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Corrib Park is fine nowadays, it did have a bad rep 30 years ago with the Rattlesnakes and their shíte. I'd sooner live there than in Knocknacarra myself.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Corrib Park is fine nowadays, it did have a bad rep 30 years ago with the Rattlesnakes and their shíte. I'd sooner live there than in Knocknacarra myself.

Rattlesnakes lived in my estate (Gaelcarrig) and never caused any grief to us at all...............
    In fact, it used to be cool when they would travel down the street in convoy on a mad range of motorbikes:D

That was the thing growing up in the Westside and still is in some sections of it today.......You never "sh$t on your own doorstep", the houses in Laurel, Cherry and further up would be frequently broken into but it was rare that a house in one of the Council estates was broken into......

I remember one lad from Camillaun did break into a house in Innishannaigh I think, and there was swift, local justice handed out....He didn't do it again!!!

I don't know if this is still the sme up there but it was when I grew up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

You never "sh$t on your own doorstep"

It would be better if they didn't shít anywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Sponge Bob wrote: »

lols at the rattlesnakes,

i always thought they were some sort of urban myth, galways version of kaiser sose, who used terrorise Newcastle by breaking into peoples houses and leaving the taps on,

where did they get the name from

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Lived in number 40 a few of years ago, was grand, didn't think their was many scobies living in the estate myself, mostly young familys and old people and a small few young couples. Only negative comment I had of the estate was that the house wasn't great in keeping in heat, it was an old house so that's to be expected really though. During the fine weather we used to get lads knocking on our door asking to cut our grass which was sound but annoying if they kept coming everyday

schween wrote: »
    It would be better if they didn't shít anywhere!!

Aye, it would:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Corrib Park was never the same once my Granny's shop closed down, ah so many penny sweet memories :p
    I grew up in the same estate as fluffyorganic (7 doors away actually) and as she said all the older estates are grand, if i was offered a house there tomorrow i wouldn't hesitate to take it.

• Advertisement

Corrib Park was never the same once my Granny's shop closed down, ah so many penny sweet memories :p
    I grew up in the same estate as fluffyorganic (7 doors away actually) and as she said all the older estates are grand, if i was offered a house there tomorrow i wouldn't hesitate to take it.

Aw, I remember the shop well Hairy Fairy!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭robertbarry

nothin wrong with Corrib Park

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

Just walked through corrib park there and there was loads of kids out playing. Theres a good green area that's safe for the kids to play in. Just make sure the house you have has double glazing and maybe even ask the landlord to get the wall insulation put in (he can get government grants to put it in and its does wonders for keeping the heat in) cause they are old houses and if the house don't have the above it could be pretty chilli in the winter! The area is fine in general I have lived in Laurel Park since I was young a fair few student here now but that suits me theses days. I've never had any problems with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Corrib Park is grand. I once had a poor opinion of the place - my own ignorance - until some mates moved there. I wouldn't think twice about moving there now. Plus it's very close to town, only a short walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Just a little advice for the OP, once you become a resident in Corrib Park you should only ever refer to it as Caaar Park! :D

Just a little advice for the OP, once you become a resident in Corrib Park you should only ever refer to it as Caaar Park! :D

Yeah, good one:D

If some one asked me where CORRIB Park was I'd have to think for a few minutes about where they meant!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pear minded

ull have no problems with rattlesnakes now their either dead or in jail :P :D hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I had forgotten about the Rattlesnakes. There were a few gangs in the early 80's. I remember there was a brawl after a Shattered Ego* concert between the Rattlesnakes and the Slashers (who were Salthill and Highfield Park AFAIR). It was the first time i saw cops use their batons.

* don't ask

And Corrib Park is a perfectly fine place to live.

^^^yea its alrite ta live there if ya dont want ur kids to end up in jail

^^^yea its alrite ta live there if ya dont want ur kids to end up in jail

Oh my god, are you serious...............I must get on the phone to my mam and find out why she didn't inform me that all my old mates from school are now in Jail:rolleyes:

Actually one of the girls I went to school with and who grew up in Corrib Park is a very esteemed lecturer of Archaelogy in NUIG so that's your above point null and void:mad:

Edit: Forget it, I've just read Pear minded's other posts and they are kinda too obvious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

My Mom originally lived in Corrib Park...funny that...she's a doctor now, hate that kinda stuff. Like people saying people from certain schools never get into college, she did and went to a seriously ordinary school! Ya there are some rough people there but I'd prefer it to loads of other places, very settled there.

Oh my god, are you serious...............I must get on the phone to my mam and find out why she didn't inform me that all my old mates from school are now in Jail:rolleyes:

Actually one of the girls I went to school with and who grew up in Corrib Park is a very esteemed lecturer of Archaelogy in NUIG so that's your above point null and void:mad:

Edit: Forget it, I've just read Pear minded's other posts and they are kinda too obvious!!!

really?so where did u end up??

really?so where did u end up??

Just about to enter my 4th year of a science degree in NUIG (albeit a little late but not everyone is ready or mature enough at 17 to realise what they want to do with the rest of their lives....................

My brothers and sisters did however and have completed masters and are now in high positions in 2 of the most prominent medical devices companies in Galway:)

The point is that there are many successful people from areas which have been given a bad reputation over the years and it is not wise to generalise about people from areas as you will be proven wrong.....

Of course there are people from Corrib Park who have ended up in Jail just as I'm sure there are people from Barna, Salthill etc who have ended up in Jail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

lols at the rattlesnakes,

i always thought they were some sort of urban myth, galways version of kaiser sose, who used terrorise Newcastle by breaking into peoples houses and leaving the taps on,

where did they get the name from

I'll never forget the graffiti back in the 70s that read "Ratlesnaks rule OK"

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I had forgotten about the Rattlesnakes. There were a few gangs in the early 80's. I remember there was a brawl after a Shattered Ego* concert between the Rattlesnakes and the Slashers (who were Salthill and Highfield Park AFAIR). It was the first time i saw cops use their batons.

* don't ask

And Corrib Park is a perfectly fine place to live.

Whoa Shattered Ego!! I'm way too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

There was another gang in the Westside around the same time, called 'The Bandits'. Unfortunately, they couldn't spell, so in their graffiti they called themselves 'The Badnits'.

That used to put the fear of god into us teenagers in the 1980s ...!

:D

I remember the Badnits, now you mention them! Oh for the good old days....

Advertisement