Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Denon AVR1911 receiver need speakers

• 08-04-2011 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi

I just bought Denon avr1911 receiver and I'm in a process to looking for a set of home theater package speakers.
    And here are my questions:
    - is it better to start from skratch and buy speakers separately, what would you recommend (nothing crazy in price)? is subwoofer required at all to complete the whole package for home theater 5.1?
    - maybe buying a whole set of speakers, like Jamo S606 is not a bed idea?
    - could someone please explain the receiver - spreakers impedance relation? my receiver is rated at 6-8ohm, should all the speakers be 6 or 8ohm, as well?

Thank you
    Justyna

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

lalipule wrote: »
    Hi

I just bought Denon avr1911 receiver and I'm in a process to looking for a set of home theater package speakers.
    And here are my questions:
    - is it better to start from skratch and buy speakers separately, what would you recommend (nothing crazy in price)? is subwoofer required at all to complete the whole package for home theater 5.1?
    - maybe buying a whole set of speakers, like Jamo S606 is not a bed idea?
    - could someone please explain the receiver - spreakers impedance relation? my receiver is rated at 6-8ohm, should all the speakers be 6 or 8ohm, as well?

Thank you
    Justyna

There is not to much difference between 6 and 8 ohm speakers. Manically 6ohm give a greater power output , however your THD does increase very slightly Just make sure they are all the one kind because it can lead to problems.
    The 606's are just on the edge of what your amp is classified to use ( 125w @ 6 Ohm) , 130 @ 6 Ohm.
    Depending on the size of your room the BOSTON ACOUSTICS XS 5.1 , or the TANNOY SFX 5.1 in satellite. Or the Q ACOUSTICS 2000 series / WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10 HCP in book shelf format.
    Lastly a Sub is not always required as some speakers are "punchy" enough, however I do enjoy my explosions....

Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lalipule

Hi Sol,

thank you for reply, just bought Jamo 210 sub and thats it for now. As soon as I have enough money I will start looking for speakers.

Just one more questions. You mentioned THD, what exactly is that?

Justyna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

lalipule wrote: »
    Hi Sol,

thank you for reply, just bought Jamo 210 sub and thats it for now. As soon as I have enough money I will start looking for speakers.

Just one more questions. You mentioned THD, what exactly is that?

Justyna

I just joined you thread (hope it is ok)

THD=Total Harmonic Distortion.

One thing i can say - do not buy cheap jamos (i got 426 including 210 sub) if u want to do anything more than movies (i got set 5.1 of jamo 426 in hn for around 500E last Christmas).

I'm also looking for speakers to use with 1911, but my case is slightly different:

I already have 5.1 jamo 426 pack and would like to play with it ;)
    so my plan is:
    426 surrounds> effects (6th and 7th speaker)
    front 426>surround
    and now I’m looking for something to use at front.
    My criteria:
    1 suitable for stereo (rather quick and loud electronic type music) - 426 are hmm "plastic" and "shallow" ? - they are ok for ps3 games/movies but nothing else. My current living room is open to the hall way and has dimensions of 5x3+1,5x7m (living room + hall way)
    2 floor standing ones - if bass reflex ones i would preffer it at front or bottom (as they would be placed in a corners at the moment)
    3 budget to be adjusted accordingly (it can wait few moths) in reasonable range of few (few not 15) hundred euro if possible.
    4 they may be second hand.

Btw:
    is your remote behaving funny (I'm not quite sure how it works - sometimes i can not even switch receiver on led on remote blinks but receiver doesn't respond)

btw2 quite often i can hear like "siziling"/"rustling" noise coming from my surround speakers (like they are overloaded? but it happens even at very low volume) any ideas?

MarcinG wrote: »
    I just joined you thread (hope it is ok)

THD=Total Harmonic Distortion.

One thing i can say - do not buy cheap jamos (i got 426 including 210 sub) if u want to do anything more than movies (i got set 5.1 of jamo 426 in hn for around 500E last Christmas).

I'm also looking for speakers to use with 1911, but my case is slightly different:

I already have 5.1 jamo 426 pack and would like to play with it ;)
    so my plan is:
    426 surrounds> effects (6th and 7th speaker)
    front 426>surround
    and now I’m looking for something to use at front.
    My criteria:
    1 suitable for stereo (rather quick and loud electronic type music) - 426 are hmm "plastic" and "shallow" ? - they are ok for ps3 games/movies but nothing else. My current living room is open to the hall way and has dimensions of 5x3+1,5x7m (living room + hall way)
    2 floor standing ones - if bass reflex ones i would preffer it at front or bottom (as they would be placed in a corners at the moment)
    3 budget to be adjusted accordingly (it can wait few moths) in reasonable range of few (few not 15) hundred euro if possible.
    4 they may be second hand.

Btw:
    is your remote behaving funny (I'm not quite sure how it works - sometimes i can not even switch receiver on led on remote blinks but receiver doesn't respond)

btw2 quite often i can hear like "siziling"/"rustling" noise coming from my surround speakers (like they are overloaded? but it happens even at very low volume) any ideas?

It's to with the current / speaker / speaker wire , the afore mentioned : THD or if the speaker wire is to close to electrical wire :eek:
    Whats concerning is that you might have a issue with power inside your amp, esp. if you have issues with it coming out of standby.

As for speakers ?

There are cheap warfdales available ( Vardus VR's) , under GPB £200, having not heard them cant make comments. But their bigger brothers are ok (dimond 10.4) , and will do in a pinch.

Sol
    (Am a KEF man btw )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

did you buy the denon from a dealer or secondhand or online, if from a dealer he should be able to advise you on speakers for your denon ,which by the way is a very good amp and should be hooked up to a good set of speakers something like kef ,b&w or probably as you have already bought a jamo sub ( why buy sub first ??) you could have bought 2 speakers, gone in to your setup menu and used it in stereo only with the 2 speakers until you could afford 2 more, then sub, then center ,you cant use it with sub only

• Advertisement

I bought Denon from a dealer, they were mentioning some floorstanding speakers but the problem is , I don't like the way they look. I know that sound is the primary factor but this is going to be part of the room decoration and needs to be presentable. Anyway I have the sub as I use some old speakers from LG home theather and needed active sub, hence Jamo 210.
    Now after a while I decied to start buying speakers to make HT and found JBL ES80. So now I'm thinking about pairing denon with jamo and JBL. Would any of you know if this combination will work? I'm going to be mainly watching movies, less listening to the music.

Thanks

looked up your jbls saw clip on youtube they look very good, you could have a very good system with 4- 5 of those and your jamo sub just try them and experiment with cutoff frequency on the sub

thanks dharn for the info, will defenetly do it, as soon as I buy them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

dharn wrote: »
    looked up your jbls saw clip on youtube they look very good, you could have a very good system with 4- 5 of those and your jamo sub just try them and experiment with cutoff frequency on the sub

r u recomending speakers which you only seen on youtube

in recommended , JBL are found mostly in cinema eg cine world in Dublin CC

If you really want a cheep alternate they are it. However this is the go to speaker if you want more boom than detail.

Jamo , Mordant Short, Kef, in level of quality in my listening habits and personal preference

Sol

• Advertisement

the op had mentioned jbls so i googled them and found a youtube clip so then i knew what they looked like ,saw that they were large floorstanders thats what my answer was based on ,have you any suggestions for the op

Advertisement