Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the Nation

Options
  • 08-04-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I've gleaned lots of useful information from this forum since we first decided to move to Aus well over a year ago so I thought to give something back. Here's an outline of experiences so far.

We travelled in Asia then arrived in Perth late March and Sydney just a week ago. We had WHV but intended to secure sponsorship and stay longer. Things were bad job-wise and attitude-wise for both of us at home.

While in Perth we found everything very expensive. We were staying with friends so didn't feel the brunt of it but generally groceries and getting about was way more of a toll on the purse than in Dublin. It's been said before but there are no 'cheap' clothes, sports or furniture retailers out this way. Perth is a lovely city: clean, warm and with a generally beachy, cruisey vibe. That said, the actual centre is a little boring and you're better off staying near Cottesloe or Freemantle for fun. One other thing... to get from North to South beaches you need to commute via the city centre by public transport if you've no car: a time consuming and expensive pain!

While in Perth I hit up a contact from home who has a relative in my field (professional services) and secured an interview in Sydney in advance. I interviewed a couple of days after arriving, got an offer and am now in the process of applying for the 457- a week after arriving. As we'd planned to stay I had all the documents sorted before we left so it's much easier now. I would advise anyone coming on a WHV with a view to sponsorship: get all your docs (ducks) in a row before you leave! References, transcripts etc. The vibe out here is so different: it's all about growth and positivity. Lots of jobs about if you want them but you need to be willing to get out there and network, apply and show enthusiasm.

Advice from friends living here: if you're on the WHV and want to stay, emphasise to any potential employer how you want to settle and how you've left it all behind, definitely here to stay. They're used to Irish staying a couple of years, being trained up and bailing.

Again: Sydney is very expensive, especially rent. We are lucky to have friends to stay with while getting set up but we have been looking at flats in this first week and while we've honed in on areas we want to stay, its very expensive! And it's very much a landlord's market: short viewing times, employment contracts and bank statements must be shown as well as references. The cost of groceries is high now after the recent floods, especially vegetables. All this is offset by salary levels: they're much higher than Ireland (where employers are generally taking the proverbial) and the living away from home allowance tax break helps lots!

Anyway, they're my thoughts thus far. I already feel like we made the best decision.

Good luck to anyone heading out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Very good advice there, just wondering what at you working at? Construction? and what are transcripts, Ive tried regestering with Leightons but cant upload transcripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Butterbear wrote: »
    We had WHV but intended to secure sponsorship and stay longer.

Nnnnnnnnnggggghhhhhhhfffff

Why is it that everyone going over feels they can get sponsorship?

Its a process that very few companies will entertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Jumpy wrote: »

Because for alot of people its there only chance of staying long term and the possibilty of a permanent visa later on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Butterbear

Jumpy wrote: »

I didn't 'feel' it. I had researched into my field and had confidence that skilled migrants in my were required in Aus. I had also spent a year chatting with people and networking beforehand sussing out the market and establishing contacts. I got a contract and sponsorship offer from one of the 'big 4' firm here and internationally within a week of arrival.

I would say that's more than a 'feeling'. I agree that some people expect things on a plate when they arrive and I have seen this in action. This is why I suggested you need to be willing to go out and get the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sorry, didnt mean to single you out, its just that so many posters here mention going with the intention of staying with sponsorship.
    You need to be good at what you do. Its pretty rare otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I don't understand why people coming over are so eager to get sponsored. For some people it may be the only option but if you're skills are on the list for a permanent visa then they are better off going for that. In my opinion the 457 sponsorship visa is probably one of the worst visas you could be on. You are tied to one company unless you can find another company to take over your sponsorship. It can be difficult enough to get one company to sponsor you but trying to get a company you've never worked for to sponsor you is a tough task. If the company either lets you go or you quit then you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country. On a 457 visa you are only a temporary resident and so are not entitled to medicare or other entitlements a permanent resident would be entitled to. There are some pros to the 457 visa such as being able to stay in the country but there are also alot of cons. In my experience people looking for options for visa should make an appointment to see a good migration agent instead of listening to other peoples opinions in an Irish bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

aido79 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people coming over are so eager to get sponsored. For some people it may be the only option but if you're skills are on the list for a permanent visa then they are better off going for that. In my opinion the 457 sponsorship visa is probably one of the worst visas you could be on. You are tied to one company unless you can find another company to take over your sponsorship. It can be difficult enough to get one company to sponsor you but trying to get a company you've never worked for to sponsor you is a tough task. If the company either lets you go or you quit then you have 28 days to find a new sponsor or leave the country. On a 457 visa you are only a temporary resident and so are not entitled to medicare or other entitlements a permanent resident would be entitled to. There are some pros to the 457 visa such as being able to stay in the country but there are also alot of cons. In my experience people looking for options for visa should make an appointment to see a good migration agent instead of listening to other peoples opinions in an Irish bar.

it is a tough, which is why most people/companies hire them on a WHV.

All good to say get a PR, but if you are young and not much experience this isn't an option, while 457 is, also time frames - do you really want to apply for a visa that takes 3-24months when you can get a 457 which can be granted in 2 weeks, and not to mention price.

Okay guys, lets not go too far off topic, the OP has given some excellent advice, lets not go into a visa debate - way too many visa threads around

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Butterbear wrote: »
    I got a contract and sponsorship offer from one of the 'big 4' firm here and internationally within a week of arrival.

Hi Butterbear, did you come from Big 4 in Ireland and get a job through that or did you get a job over there? Coming from a small firm myself and just looking at the different job prospects over in Sydney now myself, looking to go in September.

Not sure if I would like to go the Big 4 route but interested to know if they hire people from outside a Big 4 background

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

aido79 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people coming over are so eager to get sponsored. For some people it may be the only option but if you're skills are on the list for a permanent visa then they are better off going for that. In my opinion the 457 sponsorship visa is probably one of the worst visas you could be on.

I know you mentioned a few pros and cons but a big plus to being on the 457 as opposed to a 175 is that on the sponsored 457 you can claim lafha. Cant on the 175.....well I cant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Butterbear

Legend100 wrote: »
    Hi Butterbear, did you come from Big 4 in Ireland and get a job through that or did you get a job over there? Coming from a small firm myself and just looking at the different job prospects over in Sydney now myself, looking to go in September.

Not sure if I would like to go the Big 4 route but interested to know if they hire people from outside a Big 4 background

Nope, came from a very small firm here. The people interviewing me mentioned things are really busy and they need people in Sydney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I know you mentioned a few pros and cons but a big plus to being on the 457 as opposed to a 175 is that on the sponsored 457 you can claim lafha. Cant on the 175.....well I cant anyway.

You can actually...... if your usual home is Melbourne and your employer asked you to go to Perth for 6 months because of staff shortages for example... you can claim it. LAFHA can be claimed if you are living away from your usual home, it can be claimed on a 457 because as a temporary resident... Australia is not your home.

Also the employer has to agree to pay it to you, some might not be that happy at doing so.

FYI I thought this might also be of use.

I robbed this from another forum posted by a migration agent/accountant

These might be of interest to 457 visaholders:

Extended period of time working in Australia on a 457 visa:
    Private Ruling Number 1011459211492

Application for permanent residency while on a 457 visa:
    Private Ruling Number 90415

Please remember the caveat that a Private Ruling is specific to the taxpayer that applied for it. However, they provide a good indication of ATO thinking on the relevant subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Just a question folks is the job Market in Oz saturated or still fairly vibrant.
    I got pr in 2007 but came back to Ireland in 08 and pursuing a degree in a different field.
    Might go back to Oz when I finish up here but I had done my stint before and felt I should move on.
    Found the country fine for wages,rent etc but just lacking the same excitement that the states has.
    How are your experiences and nothing wrong with the whv route that's how I did it.

beagle001 wrote: »
    Just a question folks is the job Market in Oz saturated or still fairly vibrant.
    I got pr in 2007 but came back to Ireland in 08 and pursuing a degree in a different field.
    Might go back to Oz when I finish up here but I had done my stint before and felt I should move on.
    Found the country fine for wages,rent etc but just lacking the same excitement that the states has.
    How are your experiences and nothing wrong with the whv route that's how I did it.

Depends what you do, but since you are a PR you have nothing to worry about when it comes to getting a job.

You might find the cost of rent & utilities has went up, but so has wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Cheers,
    Might venture back to old Melbourne in another 2 years,always found the utilities a bit steep but the wages in Oz are definitely good plus the added bonus of a tax refund each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 claire*

hey, really interesting thread! never heard of the living away from home allowance, how does one go about applying for that? id second what you said, for anyone in a professional field- make sure and have your skills assessed before you come out to Australia. A few of my friends left it until the last minute before leaving Ireland to register with the relevent authorities- it usually takes 3 months for teachers and anyone in the health care to receive registration. Australian companies generally will not employ you until you have your letter of registration. If they do, you will be paid an unqualified rate. Also, bring a garda clearance with you, i got pure hassle trying to get that sorted from over here!

claire* wrote: »
    hey, really interesting thread! never heard of the living away from home allowance, how does one go about applying for that?

You usually have to get your employer to agree to pay that to you, the problem with that is they might not be so keen in case other employees find out that you are getting something they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 claire*

ok il ask about it, thanks...would be lost without this forum!! just after getting my first pay packet over here, cant believe the difference compared to ireland with all the taxes and levies....serious session this weekend to celebrate!:D

Advertisement