Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question About a Teacher of 1st Class

• 08-04-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

My daughter is in 1st class....just got new teacher who her 2nd day after having them told one of them to mind there beeswax (WTF) and stop asking silly questions then another day told them about greasy hair carrys bacteria and yesterday told them the class stinks and to have showers!

Am i over reacting beacuse i dont think this is on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think you'll get better advice here OP, mods if you don't agree feel free to move it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - If you have proof of this (ie: not a child's memory/explanation of what was said) then without a doubt I'd go to the teacher's superior. Comments like that do not help anyone & actually are quite disrespectful.

But I'd make sure to hear these comments yourself (or through another adult) before going anywhere with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Generally the first step in a school's complaints procedure would be to talk to the teacher herself. If you're sure that the child isn't making it up or exaggerating then approach her but do it calmly and non-confrontationally. Only after such a meeting would you go to the Principal if you feel it is warranted.

I agree language like that is not on when dealing with children and you're not over-reacting. But just be calm when dealing with it and it could be sorted out amicably.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭xxfelix

See heres the thing - all the girls in the class come home and say the same thing to the parents???? so they cant all be making it up

Ah, but see that's the problem...sometimes kids can make it up. Especially if they have some grudge against the teacher, kids can sometimes gang up & make stories up.

That said, it's not completely impossible that some teachers may act inappropriately, so that's why I'd suggest getting "official" proof before you proceed.

• Advertisement

but thats just not possible....

So you're saying it's inconceivable that all the girls chatted amongst themselves (like on the playground, during lunch, etc) about how much they dislike this teacher? That one of the girls couldn't possibly have made up a story & then repeated it to the girls, who then eventually "remembered" something that didn't actually happen?

Unfortunately, I know from personal experience that this can happen, and I know how damaging it can be to the reputation of an undeserving teacher.

Just make 100% sure the stories are undeniably and certifiably true, that's all I'm saying.

Or are you saying it's "just not possible" to get the proof? Not sure, now that I think about your last comment. If you think it's not possible to get proof then I'd say let the situation go, not fair to drag a teacher through something unless it's true.

xxfelix wrote: »
    but thats just not possible....

I meant the hearing it for myself would not be possible - i know kids make up stories but i do feel that this is not made up my girl is 7 and i am quit aware when she lies and she is a very straight lil girl .... i am not one of those parents that would cause s**T for any teacher

Well then I'd say you're in a bit of a pickle...here are your options:

1) Assume your daughter's telling the truth and talk to the teacher (although how you'd do this "amicably" is beyond me). S/he denies it & becomes resentful toward, or suspicious of, your child.

2) Assume your daughter's telling the truth & talk to the principle. S/he will then ask for your proof, which you don't have. S/he will then promise to "keep an eye on the situation," which may be the last thing they can possibly manage throughout all the other pressures of the day.

3) Try to get proof - ask other parents, counselors, teachers. Even if they haven't directly heard the teacher making general statements to the entire class, they'll be sure to have heard something else said quietly on the side (ie: when the teacher thought s/he was talking to themself.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

xxfelix wrote: »
    My daughter is in 1st class....just got new teacher who her 2nd day after having them told one of them to mind there beeswax (WTF) and stop asking silly questions then another day told them about greasy hair carrys bacteria and yesterday told them the class stinks and to have showers!

Am i over reacting beacuse i dont think this is on

Did it ever occur to you that it could have been a class on hygiene - SPHE?
    I've often heard "mind their beeswax" - a harmless enough statment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Its a tough one, but beware that the teacher may take a disliking to any child that causes trouble for them. (Know someone going through that at the moment). The teacher wont believe the child anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I think "mind their beeswax" is a harmless statement.
    With regard to the remarks about hygiene, could it be that there are one or two children in the class whose hygiene is not great & the teacher made a general comment on cleanliness standards in order not to single anyone out?

I'd be very careful of making any accusations until you have all the facts & proof. Could make life very hard for your child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Would you prefer if they told the children to "mind their own business"? What do parents expect a teacher to say when you have a child who is constantly upsetting other children by commenting to the whole class about their reading level, work ability, physical appearance etc? There comes a time, generally after weeks/months of this, being nice to the child, explaining that they're not helping themselves make friends, that they're upsetting people, that sometimes it actually has to be put very bluntly. I wouldn't consider "mind your own beeswax" to be very blunt though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lordy,I don't see "beeswax" as being offensive and woul probably have used it at some stage.As E.T. says, some children poke their noses where they shouldn't in a class. The hygiene comments may have been taken out of context, but sadly there are still children who do need to be washed but aren't. Other children would be quick to point this out,so perhaps the teacher was trying to drop general hints rather than single out one child.

Thanks all - i know what i have to do now - and that would be nothing

Thanks again

xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

What was wrong with that beeswax comment or did I miss something?

Advertisement