Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless solution needed!

Options
  • 08-04-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi folks,

I have a small one room office in a shared office block and also a storage unit that is about 30 - 50 metres away. See attached photo (marked red and blue)

The two are not directly connected (i.e. I have to walk outside to get from one to the other)

I have Wimax broadband in the office so apart from starting a 2nd contract, what's the best way of getting access out in the storage unit? Would a powerline adaptor work??

The storage unit has a phone line if it's any help!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is it less than 100m? If so run a cat5 cable from the wimax router to the pc, add another wireless device there if needed

Homeplugs will only work if they're both on the same fuse board

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bonger

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is it less than 100m? If so run a cat5 cable from the wimax router to the pc, add another wireless device there if needed

Homeplugs will only work if they're both on the same fuse board

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes it is less than 100m.

Do you mean run a cat5 cable from the router in the office out to the PC out in the storage unit??

Yes, you can add another wireless device there if needed for laptops. Cable guarantees 100% connection with no lag from the router, wireless inside the structure would never be any good. The limit is 100m of cable, thats the limit of ethernet, but you can sometimes get away with 110m+. You would need to get someone to crimp either end with rj45 connectors

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bonger

Hmm... I'm not actually sure that would work for me. I'm in a shared office block so I would have to drill a hole to the outside and then run the cable along the outside of the building. Not sure how the landlord would take that?! :(

But it's looking like that's my only option?!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Hi, If you dont want to run a cable and you need to use wireless, using directional Access Points is the best, If its just a standard block wall I use these in a house at the moment two joining houses with a mass concrete wall http://www.irishwireless.net/150-engenius-apbridge-outdoor-80211bg--eoc-1650.html Just set the up and point them at each other works well

• Advertisement

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    Hi, If you dont want to run a cable and you need to use wireless, using directional Access Points is the best, If its just a standard block wall I use these in a house at the moment two joining houses with a mass concrete wall http://www.irishwireless.net/150-engenius-apbridge-outdoor-80211bg--eoc-1650.html Just set the up and point them at each other works well

They'd need line of sight

They'd need line of sight
    Not all have them running through a thick wall in my house at the moment, They have signal indicators on them so I put one up in the house next door I dont have a telephone line in my house, pointing at roughly the room i was going put the other one in (Used my iphone compass :D) and then put up the other one and I had 80% signal and have great success with them! And the wall in between is an old stone wall from a cottage that was rebuilt a wireless router was even poor

May work ok in an isolated cottage, but not in a warehouse where there could be many other wireless devices, steel, electrical cables, metal cladding etc like in the OP's situation.

You're just bombarding your house with excessive noise by the way, when a cat5 cable would be half the price and cat5 does gigabit, its a no-brainer not to run a cable if its under 100m. Try running 2 or 3 wireless devices at the same time through this stone wall and see how poor your wireless network performs.

I'd run a cat5 to the other area and add a second wireless device there on a different non-overlapping channel if needed. All desktop pc's would be best connected by cable, leaving wireless only for devices that actually need it

May work ok in an isolated cottage, but not in a warehouse where there could be many other wireless devices, steel, electrical cables, metal cladding etc like in the OP's situation.

You're just bombarding your house with excessive noise by the way, when a cat5 cable would be half the price and cat5 does gigabit, its a no-brainer not to run a cable if its under 100m. Try running 2 or 3 wireless devices at the same time through this stone wall and see how poor your wireless network performs.

I'd run a cat5 to the other area and add a second wireless device there on a different non-overlapping channel if needed. All desktop pc's would be best connected by cable, leaving wireless only for devices that actually need it

The orriginal post was looking for a wireless solution Which I provided my input on. Yes a cat5 cable is better but not an option as he suggested, Once the other building device gets a signal it then provides an RJ45 cable to input to a switch to allow the orriginal poster to do what he likes with desktops, printers etc

I am not bombarding my house with excessive noise by the way, The EOC1650 uses direction antenna's with a max 60 deg's on the on the Elevation and Azimuth plane of the antenna providing a narrow beam to transmit to unlike a diapole of an Access point. The antenna's are also tunned to a VSWR of almost 1.2:1 with power max 23dBm so the Noise ratio is quiet low - So in fact turning on the microwave in the office to heat up lunch will cause more interference, The device is quiet capable of dealing with other wireless devices

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    The orriginal post was looking for a wireless solution Which I provided my input on. Yes a cat5 cable is better but not an option as he suggested, Once the other building device gets a signal it then provides an RJ45 cable to input to a switch to allow the orriginal poster to do what he likes with desktops, printers etc

I am not bombarding my house with excessive noise by the way, The EOC1650 uses direction antenna's with a max 60 deg's on the on the Elevation and Azimuth plane of the antenna providing a narrow beam to transmit to unlike a diapole of an Access point. The antenna's are also tunned to a VSWR of almost 1.2:1 with power max 23dBm so the Noise ratio is quiet low - So in fact turning on the microwave in the office to heat up lunch will cause more interference, The device is quiet capable of dealing with other wireless devices

Wireless isn't some magic shít that goes through everything, in your situation its most likely finding its way around the wall, not through it. It would be much more efficient to run a cable around the wall and add another wireless device the other side giving 100% signal to the devices and the best possible chance of a low latency connection. 23dbm is enough to send a signal a few miles with line of sight and the right conditions.

• Advertisement

See wireless is a two way thing, You got a strong antennae on one side and a tiny one in your laptop and iPhone the other side of the wall. Get the wifi analyser app for your iPhone and check what the actual signal reading is in decibels (80% of whatever isn't an actual reading), then login to the Engenius and see what reading it gives for the client. Wireless isn't some magic shít that goes through everything, in your situation its most likely finding its way around the wall, not through it. It would be much more efficient to run a cable around the wall and add another wireless device the other side giving 100% signal to the devices and the best possible chance of a low latency connection. 23dbm is enough to send a signal a few miles with line of sight.

What you said above is true but again off topic, the original poster was looking for a wireless solution or "Magic" wireless solution (Sorry had to say laughed at that comment :D)

But to clarify, I have two of these pointing to each other so I have a strong antenna on both sides terminating in RJ45 from the AP's (which essentially these engenius devices are), And yes I have 80% putting a spectrum analyzer getting about 16~18.4dBm reflected power or in old money 40mW getting about 20Mbps not actual TCP rate of course but good enough for 4MB broadband and I didnt need to drill a hole in a two foot thick old wall works for me and would work for most applications, Agreed 23dBm is enough to send it miles and I would love to turn the power down but I have to make do with what I have!

So You're suggesting he spend €150 (60 quid each plus Vat & delivery) and do a non line of sight point to point link inside a steel and concrete structure and hope that it works?

So You're suggesting he spend €150 (60 quid each plus Vat & delivery) and do a non line of sight point to point link inside a steel and concrete structure and hope that it works?

Yes I suggest the above because he asked the question looking for suggestions and I suggested a method that works for me quiet well

From what I can see he has options.
    • Power Line Adapters - Provided the supply for the second building is on the same board
    • Use the phone line buzz it out and see can he get a link to the other building and put RJ45's on the end - Crude but would get him out of a hole
    • Wireless point to point as I suggested
    • Drill a hole - Not really an option

Advertisement