Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAFS - Stage 2 Electives - Recommendations?

Options
  • 08-04-2011 10:38am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'll be going into 2nd year of BAFS in September, and if anybody could recommend suitable electives that I could consider, that would be extremely helpful!

The electives I did in Stage 1 were STAT10010 (Introductory Stats) and COMP10030 (Algorithmic Problem Solving) - I enjoyed both of them.

The stats modules I do in first year (as core modules) are STAT10050 (Introduction to Stats, with a small amount of probability and hypothesis tests) and STAT10060 (Hypothesis Tests, Chi-squared and GOF tests, Regression and ANOVA).

Are there any recommend electives that I'll be eligible to take in 2nd year? (e.g. in the areas of statistics, accounting or maths - preferably not economics, but I won't rule anything out!). I know taking a language is recommended, but I'm useless at foreign languages :o

Here is a list of all our core modules and options. As a separate note, does anyone have any ideas which of the option modules are good? Maths of google sounds interesting, as does Calculus of Several Variables. Can you take an elective module that is also offered as an option module, so in effect you are choosing more than 2 options?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You can totally take electives from your option list, it's probably what you want to do here if you're looking for electives to support your coursework.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Do some more programming!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Raphael wrote: »
    You can totally take electives from your option list, it's probably what you want to do here if you're looking for electives to support your coursework.
    Ah, that's relieving to know - it was a disaster picking electives for first year. It's hard to decide electives when you have never even been in college, and to a new student, the UCD Registration system isn't the easiest! Then, certain modules I wished to do, which I wasn't "incompatible" for according to the SIS description, SIS wouldn't let me take because I do x module which is similar to the one I want to take (I thought Quantitive Economics would have been an easy choice, but I wasn't allowed do it because it was too similar to Calculus).
    Fad wrote: »
    Do some more programming!
    I thought about this as well, because as my degree progresses, there's almost no more programming, and it's not an unimportant skill by any means!
    One of my options is Data Structure and Algorithms 1 (COMP20010) - did you do this, Fad?

However, it says that a student needs to have experience with the Java programming language. We did C++ so that's a bit of a hindrance.

What about Discrete Mathematics (COMP2006F)? (what does the F at the end mean???). SIS doesn't say anything about Incompatibilities, but I'm sure I won't be allowed to do it, what with the Maths and Stats modules I'll be taking next year!

Thanks for the replies! I have no idea whether those links work - they work for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

I did Intermediate Micro in first semester and am doing Theory of Games and Maths of Google this semester, all three are pretty manageable.

I thought about this as well, because as my degree progresses, there's almost no more programming, and it's not an unimportant skill by any means!
    One of my options is Data Structure and Algorithms 1 (COMP20010) - did you do this, Fad?

However, it says that a student needs to have experience with the Java programming language. We did C++ so that's a bit of a hindrance.

What about Discrete Mathematics (COMP2006F)? (what does the F at the end mean???). SIS doesn't say anything about Incompatibilities, but I'm sure I won't be allowed to do it, what with the Maths and Stats modules I'll be taking next year!

Thanks for the replies! I have no idea whether those links work - they work for me though.

DSA isn't too hard (DSA II is more interesting sadly) and if Eleni's taking the course, she's going to do it in Java, and this years first years dont have Java either, so you'll be fine!

I'd advise against discrete maths, it's just writing proofs seemingly (If you PM me your email I can send you the notes, I didn't do it, but someone sent me them).

• Advertisement

Also, don't even consider doing Databases and Information Systems.

It's a disaster of a module, poorly taught, and the practical aspect still uses Access 2003 (And you're not given any real tuition on how to use it either)...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks again, and congrats on the 7,000th post Fad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Programming is always handy. Unix Programming Comp 20150 or Computer Engineering EEEN20010 are both good introductory courses to C programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I did intermediate micro and calculus of several variables for 1st semester and theory of games for 2nd semester. Micro I wasn't too fond of but it's easy enough, calculus is good but probably the most difficult. Theory of games is great but he may be changing the course as I did it when it was new and he was kinda designing the course as the year went on but the lecturer is dead sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm doing (have done? almost!) intermediate micro, macro and maths of google.

I hated micro, like macro and don't mind maths of google.

I've heard biostats and intro to quants are handy enough, they're my choices for next year.

• Advertisement

Hi thought I'd drag this back up again. Hope you all are getting on ok with exams!

So I made out a provisional list of electives that I'd like to do, although most are probably easy as opposed to very challenging!

Biostats - so I hear, although I'm not sure BAFS students are allowed take this.
    Maths of Google
    Calculus of Several Variables (this and Maths of Google are options for me)
    Discrete Maths for CompSci
    Intro To Quants
    Theory of Games
    Data Structures and Algorithms 1 (these last two are also options)
    Linear Algebra for Economics (not sure if I'll be allowed to do it)
    Statistics for Economists (again, not sure if I'll be allowed to do it).
    Intro to Analysis (an option).

If I don't 2 of the above, then I'll do Intermediate Microeconomics (much prefer Micro to Macro, but prefer other subjects to economics :o ).

Has anyone done any of the above and would recommend them (or would advise to avoid them?). My favourite subject in first year is definitely Statistics but I have Probability Theory, Linear Models 1 and 2, and Inferential Statistics as core modules next year, so that should keep me busy.
    I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to do Linear Algebra or Statistics for Economics, as they're introductory, even though there aren't any incompatibles listed on SIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cnolan

Maths for Engineers 5 for a second semester elective, very similar to prob theory the first semester core module.

biostats first semester simple as well.

options
    intermediate micro is easy enough
    theory of games is simple

cnolan 2nd yr BAFS UCD- going into 3rd next yr

Hi thought I'd drag this back up again. Hope you all are getting on ok with exams!

So I made out a provisional list of electives that I'd like to do, although most are probably easy as opposed to very challenging!

Biostats - so I hear, although I'm not sure BAFS students are allowed take this.
    Maths of Google
    Calculus of Several Variables (this and Maths of Google are options for me)
    Discrete Maths for CompSci
    Intro To Quants
    Theory of Games
    Data Structures and Algorithms 1 (these last two are also options)
    Linear Algebra for Economics (not sure if I'll be allowed to do it)
    Statistics for Economists (again, not sure if I'll be allowed to do it).
    Intro to Analysis (an option).

If I don't 2 of the above, then I'll do Intermediate Microeconomics (much prefer Micro to Macro, but prefer other subjects to economics :o ).

Has anyone done any of the above and would recommend them (or would advise to avoid them?). My favourite subject in first year is definitely Statistics but I have Probability Theory, Linear Models 1 and 2, and Inferential Statistics as core modules next year, so that should keep me busy.
    I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to do Linear Algebra or Statistics for Economics, as they're introductory, even though there aren't any incompatibles listed on SIS!

You definitely can do Biostats, I hear its easy so it's on my list for next year too.

Intermediate Micro isn't bad at all.

I completely bombed Maths of Google, but that was just me, it was handy enough.

You can do Intermediate Macro in second semester, again, its okay.

Intro to Quants was also tipped by a current 4th year to me, apparently its very handy.

Don't panic about your Stats modules next year, Linear Models 1&2 are quite nice, Prob. Theory is okay...and inferential Stats is a bitch.

We had the exam yesterday and I think half the class came out near tears :p

Remember though that your GPA doesn't count for your degree until 3rd year - might be an idea to keep the 'easy' electives until then!!

Thanks for the answers :)

Can you do first year electives, or level 2 electives, in 3rd year, for example, or does the module code have to start with the stage number that you are doing - e.g. ECON20010 couldn't be done in 3rd year as you need two Stage 3 electives?

Sorry to hear Inferential didn't go well! If everyone found it difficult it'll probably be marked a bit easier! I was looking at the past papers for the core subjects I'll be doing next year (a bit pointless as they all look impossible until you actually do the subjects) but the Stats ones look difficult especially Probability Theory STAT20110 :eek:

If anyone is thinking of doing an elective, COMP10030 (Algorithmic Problem Solving) is very easy, even though it's not the same lecturer every year ( I had Henry McLoughlin ). And I was definitely talking to a girl doing 2nd year BAFS in it at the start of the semester, so she was allowed to do it!

Yeah 2 of my friends did it last sem. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all though!

Probability theory is okay, if its exactly the same I would advise you to print the notes and write out the examples, we all just wrote everything out, and dear god it was a lot.

Inferential kinda follows on from that and then gets very complicated.

Yea all my statistics notes so far had massive blanks in them that were filled in during class - I prefer it that way, it's easier to understand than just looking at slides of calculations already worked out! Actually Probability Theory is taught by the same lecturer as my elective in Introductory Statistics!

What about Financial Accounting 2? It's down on the list as a "recommended" elective for Stage 3, but there's no reason why it can't be done in Stage 2 that I can see - it's only pre-requisite is Financial Accounting 1, which we have just done! And then maybe 'keep' biostats for 3rd year.

I've just noticed that there's only one elective module for 3rd year (half of the year is placement) but only one for 4th year, which is strange!

Bumping this.

What is the difference between Calculus of Several Variables (MATH20060) and Multivariate Calculus and Applications (MATH20140)

Also I'm picking Theory of Games and Maths of Google as options, and I'm taking Intermediate Microeconomics as an elective (it's also on my option list). Should I pick Theory of Games and Maths of Google as options then micro as an elective, or should I pick Theory of Games and Micro as options, and Maths of Google as an elective (I hear it's easier to definitely get it this way, as Maths of Google isn't as popular).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Dying to know aswell! I'm picking multivariable calculus and apps so I won't have a schedule conflict for 'Linear models in the sciences' but thats the only reason. They sound pretty similar!

Conor108 wrote: »
    Dying to know aswell! I'm picking multivariable calculus and apps so I won't have a schedule conflict for 'Linear models in the sciences' but thats the only reason. They sound pretty similar!

I can do either (in fact Calculus of Several Variables is on my Option list) but doing Multivariable Calculus and Applications would make my timetable considerably nicer - so it's hard to know!

Annoyingly due to clashes, I won't be allowed to do Biostats, Stats+Probability for Engineers (used to be Maths for Engineers 5), Statistics for economics and Discrete Maths for Computer Science. So that's all the 'easy' ones out!

In Year 3, we are given a list of recommended electives (it just says Select Min 0 out of the 4, then says we should consider taking an elective from that list) - one of them is Financial Accounting 2 (ACC20010) - there should be no problem with taking that this year, no? EDIT: Another bloddy clash, this time with a tutorial for Principles of Finance. :eek:

Edit: When people say Intro to Quants, what's the full title of that module? Or the module code? I can't seem to find it - is it Quantitative Analysis for Business (a level 1 module)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

Financial Accounting 2 is also an core option module for BAFS 4, by the looks of the list it appears to be the most appealing of those options so maybe consider leaving it until 4th year?

Ah I didn't notice that dtmc, I'll definitely leave it until 4th year (as GPA counts in 3rd and 4th year).

What about Management Accounting (ACC20020)?

I have a feeling that it is a follow-on from Financial Account 2 but there's no pre-requisites listed so maybe it'd be ok! Has anyone taken this module before?

There's 11 different offerings of small groups so I imagine SIS will find somewhere to slot me in without clashes!

Advertisement