Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing a single light switch to a double

Options
  • 08-04-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Finally got around to installing a shaving light in the ensuite only to realise that it's permanently switched on. I'm assuming the builders were too lazy to put in a double switch. How would I go about changing a single switch to a double so that I can actually turn the light off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

if the permanent feed is fed from the light switch outside the bathroom or ensuite then you need to take it out and use it as a switch wire to the shaver light and put it into terminal L1 on the new double switch and then put a link cable between the two common terminals... Always safety first, remember to turn off the mcb before you attempt any electrical work....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

It might not be possible depending on the way the wiring is done. Shaver lights normally are wired with a permanent feed, and the fitting will have a pull cord switch to turn the light on/off. The permanent feed is used to feed the shaver socket on the light!

Advertisement