Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Design Course - DIT or NUIM?

Options
  • 08-04-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

I'm (hopefully) going back to college to study Product Design. Due to financial constraints I have to choose between DIT or NUIM. DIT seems more technical, which I think I would like but NUIM has paid work experience as part of their course which I think would be invaluable.

I'd really appreciate any information or reviews of either course.

Thanks
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

im in DIT product design, if you have any questions about it just send me a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I'm in DIT Product Design too. One thing about NUIM course that NUIM itself didn't publicise: NUIM doesn't give you paid work experience, you have to get it yourself and it can be competitive, as not every student can get it. It just allocates time for paid work experience.

I must say, that if you're good in DIT, you can get an assignment with a specific company. The difference is, that you have to do it on top of your college work. The boss comes down to you every now and then, you present your work and get feedback. This type of learning requires some more time management skills than NUIM work experience, so it has pros and cons.

Also, the head of course at NUIM was once teaching in DIT, so there can be a similarity between those courses.

If you have any more questions about DIT product design course, feel free to send me a private message

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rust101

is the product design course in limerick better/worse anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

I'm in NUIM and doing Product Design, so if ya have any questions just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm curious have ye ever seen any stats on how many product design graduates get jobs in pure product design? I ask because the vast majority of people I know who didn't don't work in it. They may work in some other creative field, but very few do Product Design. Also considering most product design is done out side of Ireland, have you out much effort in researching colleges, and jobs outside of Ireland? I did Industrial Design many years ago, and if I was to go back, the one thing I'd have done different was to broaden my scope outside of Ireland, and compete with students internationally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement