Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DWCommuter, Your Time Has Come Thanks To Leo

Options
  • 08-04-2011 11:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Instead of packing the boards with the usual FF Genepool greaseballs Leo has ordered up a new regime whereby appointments are advertised to see who applies.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0408/boards.html
    Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar had indicated recently that the non-executive posts would no longer be appointed by Government.
    They include positions on the boards of Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann and the Railway Procurement Agency.
    Speaking this morning, Mr Varadkar said: 'This is a real opportunity for suitably qualified and experienced people to shape the policy and direction of the important agencies under my department.

And if you are not in.....you can't say quite as much as you used to can you? :D New combined NRA and RPA appointments coming up later this year for one of our road anoraks too. Perhaps the creature formerly known as 'Furet' ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

NRA person: "So Mr Furet/Tremelo, why do you feel you're qualified to serve with the NRA?"

Me: "Well, I've taken lots of photos of roads. And I collect maps. And I post on the roads forum of Boards.ie. I also have lots of ideas for the road network and I know the network very well."

NRA person: "I see. Do you have any qualifications in planning, engineering or transport?"

Me: "No. But I'd like to think I know a lot more about roads than most people."

NRA person: "Thanks. We'll be in touch. Bye! [struggles to prevent themselves from laughing].

Derek and Aidan1 would likely meet with more success than I would, SpongeBob!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Instead of packing the boards with the usual FF Genepool greaseballs Leo has ordered up a new regime whereby appointments are advertised to see who applies.

And if you are not in.....you can't say quite as much as you used to can you? :D

I have to say, this is one of the most sensible and intelligent ideas I've seen on the interweb for quite some time.

We might get someone on the IE, NTA or merged RPA/NRA who actually knows something about railways, transportation and urban planning.

Go for it Derek.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NRA person: "So Mr Furet/Tremelo, why do you feel you're qualified to serve with the NRA?"

Me: "Well, I've taken lots of photos of roads. And I collect maps. And I post control the roads forum on Boards.ie. I also have lots of ideas for the road network and I know the network very well and I will ensure that they do not see the light of day on boards where they could make the NRA look like a right pack of tits "

NRA person: How precisely?

Me:" "I'll ban that cúnt Sponge Bob as soon as I get back online...as a token of general goodwill and because we all agree he deserves it"

NRA person: "I see. Very Good and emmm do you have any qualifications in planning, engineering or transport?"

Me: "No. But I'd like to think I know a lot more about roads than most people and most especially the hard core knuckle dragging FF genepool that currently occupies your board "

NRA person: "Thanks. We'll be in touch. Bye! [struggles to prevent themselves from laughing]. "Hope he is nice to us on Boards or the shagging press will be all over us like a dose of missing winter salt. "

Fixed that up a tad for ya :D

CIE Person. What do you feel you have to offer Mr DW?

DW. "I have been guaranteed that the Infrastructure mods on Boards will ban that cúnt Sponge Bob as soon as I get the job ...as a token of general goodwill and because we all agree he deserves it"

CIE Person. "M'Yahh Great Start!" This D Connector yoke ...is that the Video Port on my laptop or what ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Me:" "I'll ban that cúnt Sponge Bob as soon as I get back online...as a token of general goodwill and because we all agree he deserves it"[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Thats a good idea :)

No but seriously this is the funniest thread ever posted on Infrastructure. The Government/NRA couldnt give a rats arse on whats being posted on an internet forum about them.

Mysterious was hired by the NRA a few weeks ago into the design department so I have heard. Only he could draw the lines around Dunkettle. Also Newlands X may get D4M all of a sudden from what I gather.

• Advertisement

Tech3 wrote: »
    No but seriously this is the funniest thread ever posted on Infrastructure. The Government/NRA couldnt give a rats arse on whats being posted on an internet forum about them..
    I'll take my ban Ar Son Na Cúise and with absolute equanimity, after the appointment is made of course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just heard the 'great' Leo on the radio this evening and it sounds like Groundhog Day at CIE/IE, yet again, as he thinks it would be great to have a load of engineers on the board. That's precisely what's the matter with CIE/IE, the engineers have held sway for decades and the passengers/freight requirements are way down the list of considerations when it comes to forward planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

And if you are not in.....you can't say quite as much as you used to can you? :D New combined NRA and RPA appointments coming up later this year for one of our road anoraks too. Perhaps the creature formerly known as 'Furet' ??

Curiosity has got the better of me Sponge Bob. Why on earth dedicate a thread to me?:D

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Curiosity has got the better of me Sponge Bob. Why on earth dedicate a thread to me?:D

You have a CV as a Commuter/ Train Consumption Advocate, I don't. If they won't interview you I daren't even think of what they will do to poor ole Sponge Bob if they tehir their claws on him! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

Mysterious was hired by the NRA a few weeks ago into the design department so I have heard. Only he could draw the lines around Dunkettle. Also Newlands X may get D4M all of a sudden from what I gather.
    Please tell me this is a late April Fools joke :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats a good idea :)

I hope so cos he liked my Dunkettle idea and its better than the 4 options on the table :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

because you are so warm and cuddly.

i sent my cv in last week, so thats you fecked anyway.:p

You have a CV as a Commuter/ Train Consumption Advocate

This is true. The first time I met DWC he said
    See those Cravens over there?? I've **** them. Oh yeah!!

makes sense now.

and
    I had a DART passenger for breakfast yesterday. Oh yeah!!

Seeing as DW flat out refused to apply we will have just to accept the random and arbitrary ministrations of our new overlord Popebenny won't we? :D

Seeing as DW flat out refused to apply we will have just to accept the random and arbitrary ministrations of our new overlord Popebenny won't we? :D

plenty others have!

because you are so warm and cuddly.

i sent my cv in last week, so thats you fecked anyway.:p

Best of luck! You have the "state" requirements, while I have the "people" requirements. Unfortunately the "people" are secondary.;)

Fortunately I'm far too busy serving the economic struggle of generating employment that in turn generates money that will be spent in this half assed little country. I'll join a board in 10 years time, when I've completely succeeded in my field. I'm still young enough! However one must follow ones heart and achieve certain goals, before being ready to confront the traditional haunts that are semi state boardrooms. If I'm to ever look towards it, then I want my CV to be more that an "advocate" or "internet warrior". Time is on my side so who knows.;) There's a plan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

What your reaction, DWC?

Seem like interesting appointments to me.

I wonder what the appointment of Phil Gaffney at IR will mean for Dart Underground, given his background in the Hong Kong Metro and consultancy on Crossrail in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Unenthused by the former SecGen. Maybe those who know him think he's a good'un but if he was SecGen at Transport he had Lynch under his purview...

The HK guy might be interesting but there might be an overconfidence in his ability to bring property development-to-transport expertise that HK is generally known for (and not universally acclaimed either).

I'd like to put a HK guy at RPA so we could get double-decker trams on the Connolly-Heuston shuttle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

He was not in the Department of Transport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

The effective board of a state agency comprises the senior civil servants in the relevant department, headed by the secretary general and the sole shareholder (the minister). The CEO constantly reports to these people. The nominal board is powerless but bears legal responsibility in the case of malpractice. Membership of a state board confers status and a small stipend but also carries risk. Who wants to be paid 6k to sit on the board of Irish Rail when a train falls from a collapsing bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

lxflyer wrote: »
    He was not in the Department of Transport!
    Quite right lxflyer, am back on thread to correct the record. Health and Enterprise/Employment were his bailiwicks, although not sure that should be in any way a reassuring correction...
    dynamick wrote: »
    Membership of a state board confers status and a small stipend but also carries risk. Who wants to be paid 6k to sit on the board of Irish Rail when a train falls from a collapsing bridge?
    If that was true, the entire board would have been fired (including Gaffney) after Broadmeadow - yes, he's been on the IE board since 2006.

What risk?

Meanwhile, the existing dude dumps a log on the way out the door:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/projects-face-delays-says-departing-cie-chief-2803448.html

Advertisement