Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Term Hostel Melboure

Options
  • 08-04-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Will probably be working for 3 months max (possibly only 2) in Melbourne from Sept/Oct so instead of tryin to get somewhere to live for such a short time I'm thinking of staying in a hostel.

Can anyone recommend a decent one for a long term stay? Plenty coming up when I google this but would be nice to get some direct opinions.

Not lookin for anything too amazing, just clean, fairly comfortable, half decent kitchen and pref decent wifi.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Have you thought about renting a room or something when you get here. More than likely be cheaper than living in a hostel. Hostel for one or two weeks when you get here to find your feet and look for somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Thanks for your reply, but I'm thinkin it may be difficult to get a room to rent for such a short time (may be only 8 weeks) so I'd like to make sure I've back up. Plus I'm interested in staying in a hostel & getting to meet more people

oh & apologies for the typo in the subject heading :o

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

I know of a few backpackers who happily used the Ritz on Fitzroy St, St Kilda as a long stay
    http://www.ritzbackpackers.com/
    and you'll always have the pub downstairs if you are thirsty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Bev & Micks Backpackers caters to long term people mainly and its very cheap. Around 130 a week in summer and around 90-100 in winter I think. I'm not staying there myself but know somebody who is and went around for a few drinks one evening. Grand oul spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

I haven't stayed here myself but a friend has recently. Minimum 1 month stay for $140 a week. Apparently the kitchen and living area are quite small but it could suit your needs.

Edit: plenty of short term accommodation offers on gumtree by the way.

Great, thanks a mil for the suggestions everyone.

Jeebus H Christ (love the username by the way:D), had a look at Home at Hoddle, looks good. I know you didn't stay there yourself but just wondering if you know from you friend what kind of a crowd it attracted, was it mainly students or backpackers & was it friendly enough?
    Or if anyone else on here has stayed there would love to know how ya got on.

I'm a bit of a fussy cow, am 29, travelling alone & will be working so I want somewhere where I'll meet people & have a laugh but not somewhere full of pissed 18 year olds (god I'm gettin old :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

Mainly your backpacker crowd alright. She didn't like it that much but that was because the girl she was rooming with was an oddball! I guess that's just luck of the draw really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 melbournebound

Try Hotel Discovery on Franklin close to CBD, clean and has a decent kitchen, they do decent week rates, have loads of double and twin rooms if ya dont feel like sharing with a load of people.

Base in St.Kilda is new and comfortable and has a big bar downstairs, its a bit of a party hostel also loads of Irish in St. Kilda aswell.

Other decent ones would are International Backpackers on Franklin and Flinders Backpackers on Elizabeth Street, but reckon Hotel Discovery is the most quiet!

One bit of very important advise would be to stay well clear of Nomands on Spencer Street, real kip, enjoy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Try the corkman hostel in Carlton, $170 per week and nice and quiet.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for the tips everyone.

anyone ever stay at Central Melbourne Accomodation (name is a bit deceptive, it's located in Richmond)

Any opinions much appreciated

Advertisement